NBCUniversal

NBCUniversal Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

NBCUniversal CEO Stephen B. Burke

Stephen B. Burke

Pros:
  • "Great people and countless opportunities if you can navigate the bureaucracy to locate them"
    in 27 reviews
  • "They provide useful tools on how to cope and be successful in our work environment"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "long hours that is dictated by show schedules"
    in 20 reviews
  • "I question if senior management of my department has any clue as to how systematic the problems are"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Employer - Shrinking Industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at NBCUniversal

ProsExceptional culture, great support from management, opportunities for professional development only limited by individual's desire for growth. "Fun Product" makes coming in to work an enjoyable experience.

ConsUnfortunately, home entertainment products are in a steady consumer decline. This is an industry whose days are numbered due to digital delivery and the death of rentailers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are still several cost saving opportunities available if you take the initiative to breakdown "siloed" structure in U.S. and reduce redundant and underperforming individuals.

Never wanted to leave

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at NBCUniversal as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt is just such a huge, powerful, and amazing company I was just in awe of being there every day. I got to do so many fun things that I did not even mind waking up super early and having a long commute. I got to go to talent appearances, movie premieres, press junkets, and watch movies...and was paid for it.

ConsA lot of down time because they don't want to give interns big important tasks (understandable)

Advice to Senior ManagementMake room for more entry level positions so interns can get hired full time!

fantastic

Production Intern (Current Employee)
Stamford, CT (US)

I have been working at NBCUniversal as an intern for less than a year

Prosgreat people and are currently growing

Consthey are currently undergoing growth

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you're doing

Great internship

Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at NBCUniversal as an intern for less than a year

ProsAs an intern, they really work to make sure you get as much out the experience as possible. Both negative and positive experiences with supervisors are encouraged to be reported to ensure each intern is learning from their team. Also - it's paid!

ConsAs any big company, it's pretty corporate. You get limited access with your badge, etc.

Technical Freelancers run this place

Freelance Videographer/Editor (Current Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at NBCUniversal as a contractor for more than 10 years

ProsFreelance employment for most technical positions. The most friendly staff in the business knows how to have fun.

ConsManagement in charge make poor decisions daily. Freelancers have to pick up the pieces to get the job done in a professional way.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your freelancers they do most the work in your office.

easy job, could've taught me more useful skills

Communications Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at NBCUniversal as an intern for less than a year

ProsInternships are paid and my job was basically just to keep up to date with pop culture and anything relevant to the specific network. Won't complain about getting paid for that. Employees are young and friendly. The offices are nice.

ConsDefinitely need to be the type to make your own type of work and ask for different jobs. You need to be able to take initiative or you will be bored.

Excellent place to get your foot in the door

MSNBC (Current Employee)

I have been working at NBCUniversal part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFast-paced and surrounded by hard-working people, I always felt like I was accomplishing something and being productive when I worked here. The people were very conscientious compared to some other networks that I have worked at. Definitely my favorite network to have worked at.

ConsThe money is competitive compared to the competition, but raises and bonuses are hard to come by. For a company steeped in making entertainment, there were not many perks open to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentivize employees by opening the door for them to access more of the content they create, be it the theme parks, shows, or memorabilia that their hard work produces. In the past, a lot of corporations structured something around involving employees and their families, yet in all of my time here, I saw nothing of the sort. Make this more of a place that employees want to integrate into their family somehow.

Great company to be a part of

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at NBCUniversal as an intern for less than a year

ProsAt NBCUniversal there's always room to grow and expand and network, which is a big plus. Even though it is a large company there is a sense of community and family. The company offers great perks and treat employees well.

ConsIts a big company - easy to feel lost in if you don't network appropriately and reach out. As an intern especially, you have to work hard to make yourself seen and heard, and to prove your value.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the little guys!

great experience, but they don't really know what to do with interns

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
Burbank, CA (US)

I worked at NBCUniversal as an intern for less than a year

ProsBig company with a lot of opportunities. I have the chance to work in multiple departments and gain a lot of experience.

ConsA lot of times you have to search for work, they don't know what kind of work and intern can handle and sometimes don't know what jobs to give out.

Hard work, long hours; totally worth it!

Finance Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at NBCUniversal full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe talent level is elite, the resources are infinite, and the attitude is as Type-A as you can get. This combination of traits creates a team atmosphere that allows each of us to individually strive. The benefits are what you would expect of a company of this size, while the perks are actually much more uncommon, as there are constant opportunities unique to only the TV, film, and content provider industries.

ConsAs previously mentioned, the hours are a bear. We can be a bit understaffed at times, mostly due to turnover amongst the younger employees. This can cause an overwhelming workload for many of us, especially during peak times.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to reduce turnover by offering more competitive compensation and focusing on promoting from within. While the latter is certainly a positive at the moment, there can always be more reward for employees who perform well.

Worked for NBCUniversal? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NBCUniversal reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for NBCUniversal CEO Stephen B. Burke. All 464 reviews are posted anonymously by NBCUniversal employees.