Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

3.1
Edward Stevenson

1. Spa Attendant

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

Pros

Great people, lots of breaks

Cons

New management in the spa is crazy. She is horrible.

Advice to Management

treat employees like they're humans and that you're not better than them. Don't fire them and then when they get that appealed don't fire them again. It doesn't look good on management.

2. Great benefits, one of many. Can be hard to feel passionate about role in such a large place.

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Prior Lake, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Prior Lake, MN (US)

I have been working at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

Pros

Pay, benefits, and work environment couldn't be much more competitive and comfortable.

Cons

Remaining engaged and motivated can be challenging long term, with fairly regular turnover in a lot of positions after a few years.

Advice to Management

Build closer relationships with staff.

Apprehensively Interesting

Former Employee - Mystic Supervisor
    Former Employee - Mystic Supervisor

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

.I enjoyed getting to work with my team they were all good as could be expected, with all things considered. Company values are great . But I did not see a big association of them and the team. The Departments did not seem to want to coexist unless they needed to. I thought security staff were good. Again with all things considered. The training I was associated with was all uninspired. But, I just tried to have one person I thought would be the most correct to show me the acceptable way to handle situations on the gaming floor Once. Thank you I had days I couldn't wipe the smile off and days I could not imagine would ever end. Honestly how does one spend a shift being present and not talking..

Cons

The chance to see how the management tree of responsibility can function with so many broken twigs. You couldn't even have a calming beverage with a co worker after the shift. A 2 beverage limit would not kill anyone. I know they might be apprehensive that 2 team members might discover they think that this or that sucks if they can relax and try to head home with a diluted but more of a better feeling When they get to try and enjoy being off the clock. HARSH naw.

Advice to Management

Time off policies, attitudes of each shifts team members. I have always worked on the shift that actually needs to handle it. I was vey disappointed that other equals did not make the team members do the work. There is no way that the Scrubbing of floors was done a much as the standard set was. Oh and I have no problem shouldering blame for the team. Honestly, a couple times I thought I was trapped in the twilight zone. Nothing but the sound of crickets when all the incident would need would be some sort of acknowledgement. Live and learn guys its much better than the your all alone experience. At least I did get off the anger management learning direction.

A lot has Changed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prior Lake, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prior Lake, MN (US)

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have very good benefits, discounted lunches and friendly employees

Cons

Management does not allow people to do what they were hired to do. VPs, Directors and Managers do not ask questions from their staff in order to help them make better decisions for the good of the company. They make decisions out of thin air and base them on what will make them look good professionally. They over promise things to the board with their talking points, when it is clear that they have no business making such promises because they have not done their homework on the topic at hand. Directors and Managers are not willing to learn what they do not understand, nor do they go above and beyond to learn how to be a leader. As a subordinate, you don't ever feel like your manager has your back and that you are to fend for yourself because it is very often they will throw you under the bus rather than help fix the problem or worse yet take the credit for your amazing idea. There is no vision from our directors and managers on anything. They make up things as they go, which is not only costly but causes a lot of turnover, moral loss and zero sense of a team. The CEO has allowed some poor decisions to be made based on either misinformation from his executive staff or just out of sheer ignorance. The Board has gotten greedy, raising prices to the guests across the boards, making the once busy restaurants into ghost towns. They have cut budgets for everything so they can continue to do costly experimental promotions and events in hopes of trying to get non-gamers out to the property and get them hooked on gaming.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to ask himself why turn-over is so high in certain departments. Is it because employees are treated like Kindergarteners? Is it because they refuse to get team members involved in helping them to make informed and smart decisions before they are made? Is it because highly talented, skilled and smart people are not allowed to use any of that towards the greater good, and instead to be pushed aside by their managers and directors into a dumbed down position? I think he needs to listed to the people who chose to go elsewhere and ask himself how he can change the culture and get the staff to feel good about what they do. The benefits are great and for some employees it is enough to stay, but for the go-getters of the organization they need more than just awesome benefits, they need a since of what they are doing is for the greater good of the company, not for the good of their manager or director so they look good to you.

6. Mystic is a fun place to work

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel part-time (less than a year)

Pros

fun work environment, nice break area to relax in. good discounts. great part time gig.

Cons

working holidays and weekends can be hard if you've got a family. Not easy to get full time.

Marketing representative working promotions, special events and managing projects. Very busy job.

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

Pros

Fun giving away large sums of money.

Cons

I struggled with the ethics of it. I felt at times like I was stealing people's social security checks. Great health, dental benefits. Exceptional time off, but it was difficult to use it because things are so busy and you are always on a timeline.

Advice to Management

Work on building up the skills, talents of your staff.

Horrible place to work unless you are desperate.

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

Pros

Good pay, nice coworkers for the most part, nice company cafeteria for the employees with constantly changing options.

Cons

Overtime is not optional, managers aren't very considerate, getting days off is nearly impossible unless you beg for it, don't take into account personal lives very much when it comes to not being able to work.

Advice to Management

They need to do more training so everyone can do everything and be more willing to give people time off as well as letting them know if they receive it in advance.

Great Opportunity

I have been working at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

Pros

Lots of interesting coworkers and guests, great benefits, and decent pay for the work being done. All around its a pretty easy job no matter what your department is as long as you stay busy.

Cons

A great deal of the employees seem to think they are still in high school and like to cause problems for others. Supervisors like to play favorites.

Advice to Management

Greater interaction with entry level employees.

Clueless at the top!!!

Former Employee - Marketing in Prior Lake, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Prior Lake, MN (US)

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, consistent annual pay raises, nice coworkers, training available

Cons

Open 24/7/365 so you never get holidays off, weekends off, and trying to have a work/life balance is impossible. The Directors and VP's take all the credit and when they feel threatened by someone who actually knows what they're doing, they fire them, or find a way to fire them. I've seen a revolving door in the marketing division, and the entertainment department has gone way downhill -- the place has become very very trashy. Which is funny, because when I first started, they were trying to change their image... they just went full circle... probably because they hired a really poor, education less director back to their staff.

Advice to Management

Clean house from the top down. That's how you will change your image. The Board of Directors and Business Council really need to open their eyes to see what's truly happening and not just rely on their executive team to relay the information. Your tribe is in trouble if you keep going along the path you are on. Shifting people to difference positions because you like them, is not how you keep a business growing.

11. Good Job

Former Employee - Restaurant Server in Prior Lake, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Restaurant Server in Prior Lake, MN (US)

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Active environment
    - Engaging customers and employees
    - Great pay and benefits

Cons

- It's a casino, if people lose all of their money don't expect them to greet you with a friendly smile
    - Smoke