Myriad Genetics

Myriad Genetics Reviews

Updated Jun 10, 2014

Myriad Genetics President, CEO, and Director Peter D. Meldrum

Peter D. Meldrum

Friendly people, focused on improving lives of patients

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

Pros-Management is very focused on patient and improving their care
    -Employee friendly - benefits are excellent!!
    -There has been an increase in focus on career development for all employees
    -There sales training is probably the best in the country

Cons-Growing pains - I've worked for the company for almost three years and the company has almost doubled in size.

Advice to Senior Management-continue to focus on improving work environment - it is working!!

Headed on a downward spiral.

Patient Service Coordinator (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsI agree with the below comment; the view of the mountains.

Cons-Bureaucratic structure with layers of management - from regional managers to department managers down to team supervisors. This, along with mandates for compliance, takes precedence over doing the right thing. It discourages change and cripples improvement. You may ask "Why do we do it this way?" The answer is often, "We've always done it this way." Forget creativity. Forget talent. Forget improvement.

-Micromanagement is crazy and is implemented with a command and control leadership style. Employees are treated like numbers. No one cares if you fall off the face of the earth. You're replaceable. We don't need you.

-Bonuses and rewards are given equally to everyone. And tenure precedes performance. Just another way to promote mediocrity and high turnover.

-Because management is so stuck in the past and resistant to changes, lots of processes (basically anything done on the phone or computer) is outdated. This is 2013, not 1992!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTenure Suppresses Talent:

Just because “Employee A” has performed a task longer than “Employee B” doesn’t necessarily mean that “A” is more skilled than “B.” Furthermore, just because “A” has been with the company longer than “B”, doesn’t necessarily mean that “A” possesses more talent, upside, knowledge, or adds more value than “B.” When an organization promotes based upon tenure, and not based upon recognition of talent, merit, performance, etc., the company is not leveraging its true talent base. Not recognizing, developing, and rewarding talent is the fastest way I know of to drive talent out of your organization and directly into the hands of your competition.

Decent, but you can likely find better

Lab Technician I (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsGood coworkers, supervisors are nice

ConsStarting out with no benefits for 6 months and then having lower than average pay makes you feel cheated, especially for how hard they work you. No paid holidays, no paid time off as well until your 6 months are up. They treat temps rather poorly

Advice to Senior Management6 month contract work makes you feel like you're not a part of the company and they don't really care about you

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible Place to work

Patient Service Coordinator (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsThe beautiful view from your work station.

ConsMicro management, favortism for the employees they like. Work long hours, work faster, time lines given. The computers and phones need to be updated and make sure they work properly. If they like you it will be a somewhat good career. If you are not part of the management group prepare to be miserable !

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all employees equally. Notice the employees working hard and that are not in the BIG boys club.

Not Committed to Employees

ProsDecent benefits
    Work/Life balance
    Exciting industry
    Most employees care about patient care

ConsNot committed to train and retain talent
    Poor compensation, unless your on the executive team
    Executives do not care about employees
    No career growth

Reactive company that does not live up to leadership promise.

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work life balance. Amazing uncapped commissions if you stay ahead of the curve in managing your business

ConsVery reactive organization. More and more like big pharma, vastly inconsistent in management expectations, must be part of "boys club" to move up. Lack of required skills and experience to succeed in many of the leaders in HQ

Advice to Senior ManagementYour people are your greatest asset, figure out a way to have consistent measures of performance and business management. Your RDs don't have a clue what the definition of leadership is. They are glorified sales reps and analysts with a director title.

Profit-driven company who cares little about its employees

ProsExperience in healthcare which may prepare one for somewhere better down the road.

ConsThe workers are under-compensated and do not get enough credit for their work. They have demanding job duties and are often required to work overtime on weekends to meet deadlines so they can maintain Myriad's claim to fame: Their turnaround times.

There many unethical business practices and politics of this company, which are not to be discussed, create an awkward "elephant in the room" among employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people and not machines. Reward them for hard work. Your profit is heavily dependent on their happiness and motivation.

Myriad is a fantastic place to gain valuable experience.

Lab Technician II (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsFull-time employees are immediately given all the same benefits as long standing employees.
    Alternative work schedules
    Great People

ConsThe development pathway for the main lab is murky at best.
    Production expectations seem to be out of touch

Advice to Senior ManagementCome down to the labs and get a real feel for the workflow before establishing expected outcomes.

Myriad is a fabulous company run by doctors and scientists instead of managers.

Receptionist/Data Entry (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsGreat compensation and benefits, such good people, not too big, but with the stability of a large company because everyone is invested in the success of the work. Myriad is into Six Sigma and 5S methodology which allows coworkers to do more of what they love.

ConsNearly every position requires a degree (although that's not really a problem).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to teach all employees about the processes so they will be excited about their work.

Management doesn't care to retain or train.

Lab Technician II (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsYou want a short term job before moving on, or you are looking to start in biotechnology and are looking for extra training.

ConsManagement doesn't care about employees. The pay raises are minimal and are based upon a bell curve. There is not pay for performance. About 6 months ago my lab began forcing overtime on the employees. They called it "mandatory overtime". Insensitive, underhanded polices like this are rampant throughout the company.

Worked for Myriad Genetics? Contribute to the Community!