Mueller Water Products

Add Photos

Mueller Water Products Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Hyland

Greg Hyland

Awesome, Friendly

Accounts Receivable (Current Employee)
Hamilton, ON

I have been working at Mueller Water Products full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery friendly oriented environment. Love my job.

ConsNone, I don't think anything

Incompetence Rules the Roost

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Mueller Water Products full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe work life balance depending on the department you work in is fair. The segment headquarters (i.e., Mueller, Anvil, and US Pipe) are filled with intelligent individuals that know how to get things done. Compensation is way way above average for a company of this size.

ConsHowever, the same cannot be said for the corporate management team in Atlanta. Based on my experience, the less intelligent you are the higher you can rise through the ranks. Promotions are purely based on politics. If you dare acknowledge that the emperor has no clothes, you will be shown the door. The CEO is not very dynamic, and they have been running the company without a real CFO for at least six years, which was exposed by MWP receiving two consecutive material weaknesses over its financial reporting controls. This place is a mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a real CEO and CFO. Reward honesty and integrity, and stop sweeping problems under the rug.

Great company in engineering,productivity,quality.

Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Mueller Water Products full-time for more than 3 years

ProsChance for promotion in engineering and quality

ConsIT company wide out of date.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate company wide IT.

Excellent

I have been working at Mueller Water Products

ProsAppreciate skills of talented people.

ConsContract position would like permanent position.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep all manufacturing in the USA.

I enjoyed my time at Mueller. I thought it was a good work environment.

Decatur, IL (US)

I worked at Mueller Water Products

ProsThe offer a great product line.

ConsComputer technology not up to par.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you know how your department is run and who is doing the work.

Hydro Gate, company without future if big changes are not made.

Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Mueller Water Products

ProsPay and benefits are about average for the current economy. Company is great about giving time off to take care of personal business.

ConsVirtually no room for growth in . Management talks about change to improve company but little is done because company lacks personnel and funding to make changes. Manufacturing is all contracted out to other companies in Mexico and China for the most part. This poses a problem controlling quality and cost for a company that makes mostly custom products. Some past/current employees like to stretch the truth and are less than ethical in their business practices. Past employees thought that by not sharing knowledge they were ensuring their position, that did not work out well for them or the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement need to make major changes. Most of the changes that need to be made are in the hands of Hydro Gates sister company and parent company. Major investment in competent personnel and a manufacturing facility are needed to become the leader in a broken sub-par industry.

Great company to retire with or come out of retirement.

I worked at Mueller Water Products

ProsYou are given a company vehicle, decent base pay, solid benefits, and an expense report.

ConsThere is absolutely no possibility for advancement; promotions can only be made through the sudden death of a manager or immediate resignation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave Decatur

Really get to know the individual department first (read between the lines)

Engineer (Former Employee)
Chattanooga, TN (US)

I worked at Mueller Water Products

ProsThey do place importance on family. The company as a whole is pretty nice. They have a large participation role in the community. They are a very old and established company and a world leader in their filed. They are the Cadillac of water valves. The company usually has a couple of "special" dinner a year where a spouse can also attend.

ConsSome departments are very political and promotions are based partly on the buddy system. Some departments are ran in a very old world management mentality and communication is very limited especially between upper management and salary employees. The typical work hours is at least 9 hours a day and at times can reach 80+ hours a week. But at those hours salaried employees get paid for their extra hours. (not time 1/2 but just straight time).

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more and don't rule by intimidation, you draw more files with sugar than vinegar.
Just because that's the way you (management) were mentored, doesn't make if the correct way.

Worked for Mueller Water Products? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mueller Water Products reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Mueller Water Products CEO Greg Hyland. All 8 reviews are posted anonymously by Mueller Water Products employees.