Motorola Mobility

Updated Jul 18, 2014

3.1 1,472 reviews

Motorola Mobility President Rick Osterloh

Rick Osterloh

Pros
  • For same reason work-life balance better in Illinois than California(in 121 reviews)

• Very flexible work hours as long as things get done(in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management retains high degree of control on most decisions(in 95 reviews)

• Was an excellent role and the hours were perfect for getting a good work/life balance(in 23 reviews)

1,472 Employee Reviews

Mixed

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsHeritage of innovation.

ConsConstant change, no growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake money

Research Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent Work Culture. Flexible life

ConsPublication is tough. Work load.

Great place to work for talented professionals

ProsExtremely Talented and Experienced Coworkers
    Great Work-Life Balance
    Very Good Compensation and Benefit Package
    Good Support

ConsGenerating operating losses
    Way too many older employees

Advice to Senior ManagementStill need to shape the organization.
    Need more young & energetic workers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Place to work

Senior Principal Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsVery good engineering talent, very good work culture with in the teams.

ConsToo many program managers asking for status updates.

Only Way Is Up!

Project Lead (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat People who are focused on the Company being successful...fun products - disruptive in the market-place.

ConsUncertainty of Lenovo acquisition...fear of dilution of Motorola Mobility Brand....Motorolan's have huge pride in & for their company...to erase / loose the brand would be another US Industry tragedy.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember "Made int he USA"? That holds sway in the US marketplace....let's not loose it with by being structured incorrectly in the marketplace.

Feel like we are in the final straight

Director (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsStrong leadership team, very collaborative environment, great products that are really starting to get momentum.
    Industry leading software team and getting Motorola first to market with Android plus adding new features that are really useful vs. gimmicks.

ConsLots of change - mostly in the right direction, but it's not for the faint hearted.
    It's sometimes hard to get things done, as some processes no longer work, having been built by people no longer with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be great to learn more about Lenovo's plans for the future.
    Keep shipping great products and everything else will fall into place.

Still a good company despite uncertainty in the looming Lenovo acquisition

Principal Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsSmart people, interesting projects and cutting edge technology if you pick the right group. Good work-life balance, flexible work schedule. Convenient access to VTA light rail (public tram) and CalTrain. Motorola products are on the upswing and the company has a promising future.

ConsStaff are anxious about the Lenovo buyout and what it will be like post-Google. Some people abuse the work from home perk, and still plenty of dead weight. Managers have their favorites and you would be disadvantaged in performance reviews if you're not on their list.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk around and know your ground troops instead of always relying on your direct reports. They filter the truth you know. Also, the flexible work schedule is a valued benefit and employees with families highly prize it. Don't drop it otherwise you'll lose folks like me.

software engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Prosgood culture, career advancement opportunity

Conswork schedule is often tight

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Excellent

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsVery good Work culture and excellent workforce

Consuncertainity
    periodic layoffs
    periodic aquisitions
    management changes

great company, good people, not so tired of working overtime

Media Designer (Former Employee) Beijing, Beijing (China)

Prosbig company, good salary, not so busy all the time, great opportunity to contribute

Conspeople are not that passionate, more like a big, pride company with lots of people not so creative

Worked for Motorola Mobility? Contribute to the Community!