Motley Fool Reviews

Updated 15 September, 2014
4.5

Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Pros
  • There is good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Strong commitment to a fun and productive work environment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, if you want a linear career path with clean and tidy lines from one role to the next, that management philosophy is not embraced here (in 6 reviews)

• While Alexandria and the surrounding DC areas are great, I would love if they had offices throughout the US (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

The greatest company to work for, surrounded by passionate people

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's not a huge coincidence that you're seeing 'people' or 'co-workers' often on the Pros list. The Fool is filled with intelligent, engaged, passionate, and kind people. People actually care about you, which is a nice environment in which to be. It's not hard to turn to someone and ask for help. In fact, collaboration is encouraged and rewarded! What a great segue into the benefits, which are just incredible. From free books to unlimited vacation, it's almost unbelievable, but believe it. An internal rewards system allows us to send 'Gold' to someone for a job well done, and we can redeem this Gold for awesome things. With Learning From Franklin, we can attend talks and interact with some of the greatest minds in America. Health and Wellness is also a huge deal. There are free fitness classes, free healthy foods, massages, an awesome Health and Wellness coordinator, and more! The casual dress code, the open office space, the nerf guns lying around, the Pros list goes on and on. And if you've got new ideas, the People team is there to hear it. Whether it's about your position in the company or what you'd like to see at your desk, everyone just works hard to keep the Fool a great place to work.

Cons

In the office, you absolutely have to be able to adapt and adapt quickly. The company is constantly changing, growing, and sometimes, this is awesome. Other times it means that you have to completely switch gears and start working on a completely new project. If you're uncomfortable with constant changes, you'll definitely find yourself struggling.

Keep it up! I am starting to see the improvements in communication, and it's nice to know that upper management is actually taking our feedback and running with it.

An amazing place to start a career

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

Working at The Motley Fool is nothing short of amazing. They truly stand behind their employees and continuously exceed my expectations! There are monthly activities ranging from happy hours to ski trips, and perks/benefits that touch on almost anyone's lifestyle. Even though I can get a massage, personal training session, ping pong game, order any book I want, nap, play an electric drum set, and start my day around 10:00am, the best part about the company are the other Fools I work with. I can't wait to see what the future brings for me and this company!

Cons

Cake day makes sticking to my diet very difficult

Keep it up!

You are your only impediment to growing while at TMF

I have been working at Motley Fool as an intern for less than a year

Pros

No Vacation Policy -- take a vacation whenever you feel like it is the best for you, and even if you don't, you may find yourself being chosen in a raffle to go on a mandatory vacation anyway.
    The open office work environment allows you to communicate with and learn from different aspects of the company.
    Results Only Work Environment -- get your work done, if you still have time free in the "workday" do whatever your heart desires (game room, leave early, work on a side project)
    Unbelievable transparency

Cons

If you're looking for "career advancement" in the traditional sense, this probably isn't the company for you. The structure is flat, and the Fools who work here, as you would expect, tend to stick around for a long time (in a good way). But you will advance yourself as a person and pick up unique skills. But if your "title" is how you define advancement, you won't be satisfied.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best place I've ever worked!

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coming to work every day you are surrounded by incredibly brilliant and inspired people! Fools genuinely believe in our mission and it is evident in everything they do - from being encouraged to raise questions to meeting our members we're all in it to win it! Being encouraged to experiment and try new things is so refreshing to see in the working world. The benefits are out of this world and tailored to all kinds of people - a great wellness program, free books, speaker series, classes and continuous education, clubs for everyone, a recognition program that is peer to peer, and so many events for everyone - they're unreal.

Cons

The Fool is a very fast paced environment which may not be for everyone but it wouldn't be where it is today if it weren't.

Keep up the good work encouraging people to experiment and raise questions. As the company grows, it is important for our leadership team to continue attending events where they can meet all of the amazing employees. It's really refreshing to see actions taken from surveys and feedback to improve an already amazing place!

Changing the World

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

A truly purpose-driven company -- working to help the world invest, better. Employee engagement levels are at 83% (nearly 3X the national average). Growth is accelerating. The company is 100% owned by past and present employees -- no short-term-itis, no VC money. There's an internal market for company stock, and shares are on the rise. The pace of innovation is quickening. The culture is very very performance driven. The financial industry needs to be disrupted by technology, and this is the best place to go for it. I have never worked with such passionate people in my life.

Cons

We don't celebrate the work across teams enough. Our investor team is incredible. Our member/customer services efforts are extreme. I've seen careers changed overnight by connections with career coaches on our people team. Some of the innovations on tap from product and tech teams are profound. There's such a massive serious of efforts being made -- this shouldn't be taken for granted. We need to celebrate our successes more.

Don't be so immersed in your work that you forget to get out and communicate. With rapid growth and sudden change comes the need for substantially more communication.

Be more transparent in how performance is evaluated.

Start training team leadership more and more. As we scale, team leaders will be gamechangers (either in a good or bad way).

Force people to take vacation -- the no-vacation policy can cause some people to never take a break.

Outgrown the CEO's ability to lead.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing people to work with. If you're in an administrative, tech-support, or HR role this is a great place to work because you'll be relatively over compensated and you'll be valued.

Cons

If you like working toward a longterm vision or developing a career, this is not the right place for you. Expect to "reorg'd" often and without input even if you are leading a team. Most leaders spend most of their emotional energy "protecting", "blocking", or "shielding" their direct reports from the vacillating whims of a passionate and disconnected CEO and leadership team. Your 1st year here will be amazing, but disillusionment follows as you climb the ranks. Most managers joke that they won't have a team or job to return to after they take vacation --better monitor email at night and when away.

We need a heart to heart conversation with our CEO and Board of Directors. In fact, we've out grown his ability to lead. A strong co-CEO might work, (works for Whole Foods) but that CEO would need real support from the board or that will become a revolving door too. It's telling that our CEO is in NYC while we're in Alexandria, VA... AND we fear when "Tom's in town" no matter how fun the randomness is.

Great people, good ideas, poor execution, weak leadership.

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Fool houses some of the brightest, most talented people with whom I've ever worked. The employees truly aspire to greatness, and I've never been a part of a team that didn't collaborate effectively and from which I didn't learn tremendously.

The company does not have clear career paths, and I consider that a major plus. If you are curious and driven, you can develop a variety of skills and sculpt nearly any role you can think of for yourself within the business.

The benefits, mentioned in many reviews, are certainly wonderful. For smart, hard-working people (including many Fool employees), though, such benefits have become commoditized. Nearly any company I'd consider working for has comparable benefits. They are not the draw.

Cons

The leadership team oscillates between providing a top-down vision for the company and empowering teams to craft a strategy of their own. Either approach is valid, but oscillating between the two is dangerous, demoralizing, and ineffective. It is difficult to maintain a sense of ownership over your work when its direction -- and your role in shaping it -- frequently change.

Foolish leaders have a strong case of "not invented here" syndrome, which manifests itself in both new product ideas (partnerships, in which we'd give up some control, are anathema) and how we allocate people. Our executive team seems to believe that, for any possible new business or project on which we embark, we already have within the company the ideal set of employees for it. Promoting from within, when the desired skill set is available, is surely preferable -- but when the desired skill set is not, top-tier companies go out and hire the best. This TMF does not.

Apply a critical eye to the composition of the leadership team and board. Is each group structured to seek disconfirming evidence and empowered to play devil's advocate? Is each member well-suited to lead the company over the coming ten years (rather than the past ten)?

Needs some sanity checks

I worked at Motley Fool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I think their intentions are good. Some very nice and very smart people work there and they are more than generous with benefits and work/life balance. TMF wants to do right by people. Tom and David Gardner are terrific guys and take the time to get to know everyone at the company.

Cons

As a previous reviewer said, after about a year I started to feel like some of the folks I worked with were actually kind of dangerous to disagree with. My experience is in tech, tries too hard to mimic the current Silicon Valley trends. While a lot of new ideas make a lot of sense, not all of them actually work. The 'with us or against us' attitude has resulted in some very good people being sidelined or shamed into lesser positions. In the end, the sort of products TMF produces don't really justify the sort of swagger and arrogance I witnessed among tech leaders. I would like to say that goes against the grain of the founding principles of the company, except by the end I wasn't sure what they were exactly.

Be careful about trying to deploy trendy solutions to business and technical problems. It's okay to say you will try and retry if ideas fail, but there's a lot of collateral damage out there in the form of employees who wanted to make things work but ran up against too much arrogance.

I'd be crazy to leave this place

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than a year

Pros

I could go on and on, but some of the main highlights are: the people, the laid-back culture, the flexibility (in both job and work schedule), the trust and mutual accountability, and most of all... the ability to truly change the world. The mission at The Motley Fool is to help the world invest -- better and everyone in the company knows it and is completely committed to it. Every day, you don't feel like you're just going to do any normal job with people you don't really like; you feel like you're part of something bigger and your co-workers are some of your best friends.

Cons

If you need to have stability in your job and workplace environment, then TMF may not be for you. The company moves incredibly fast with new initiatives and strategies and people are expected to adjust just as quickly. You could have a few different jobs at TMF within the first couple years of working there. So, if you really thrive off of stability, you may struggle at TMF.

While the pace is fast and teams/roles move around incredibly often, ensure that communication of all changes is timely and clear.

Excellent company to work for, until it wasn't

Former Employee - Writer
    Former Employee - Writer

I worked at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

As a Freelance Writer, I received excellent feedback and support for my articles. Editors were always willing to help and gave great tips to make my work better.

Cons

Multiple editors suggested that I could become a Contract Writer. I was told many times to "keep it up" or "work with your editors" and you'll get there. However, after three years of writing for the company, and thousands of articles published, Motley Fool decided to cut off all Freelancers with no notice whatsoever.

Worked for Motley Fool? Contribute to the Community!