MoneyGram International

Updated 19 September, 2014
2.5

MoneyGram International Chairman & CEO Pamela H. Patsley
Pamela H. Patsley

Pros
  • The only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment (in 6 reviews)

• Most of my co-workers were great team players and really good people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of politics within the company (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management inexperienced about the industry (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Cost cutting - To what end

Current Employee - Technical Support  in  Brooklyn Center, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Brooklyn Center, MN (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Overall, the co-workers I deal with are great. My supervisors over the last 10+ years have been pretty good. Benefits are not bad.

Cons

Benefits have steadily eroded since I joined. Less vacation time. Higher premiums for Insurance. Fewer opportunities. Fewer paid holidays.

Morale is horrible throughout the company.

Information is sketchy and rumors spread like wildfire.

Weak executive leadership that is absolutely horrible at communicating with customers or employees.

Lack of direction. Trying to react to market with "me too" solutions. No innovation.

Outmoded systems.

Total lack of respect for front-line employees.

Get a clue. Quit thinking about your next bonus and the next quarter. Maybe it is time to think long - term strategy. This is a business that will likely boom as more and more people in the US are forced away from the traditional banking system. But you won't be part of it if you lose your biggest and best customers today.

Unprofessional and mediocre

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment. There is definitely a good work-life balance in the company due to the fact that people are not engaged so most of the employees are working 9 to 17.30 and are out of the door by 17.31. The office environment is also great, brand new building in central London with free beverages and biscuits.

Cons

Fast paced in a bad way. Decisions are made in hurry, then never finalised. People are not competent in most of the positions, they are not passionate about what they are doing, management spend little time on developing people, which have an impact on the atmosphere. Loads of employees are on the peak of their career, especially the ones who came from banks, burnt out, just wanting a quiet job. Culture is extremely american orientated, you have to be American and being based in Dallas in order to be in a decision making position. Don't be fooled by the job title and the salary as the company is very top heavy which makes managers (even directors) find themselves in a team of one, doing the kind of job that more junior staff is doing in other companies. No room for sharing ideas or challenging decisions as Americans decide about everything and they only need people who execute their decisions, in countries outside of the US not even directors have a decision making role. Structure change almost every month, high turnover in every areas. Lots of politics within the company. Reporting lines don't make sense most of the time. The worst company I've ever worked for, the only reasons I give 2 stars are the office environment and the work-life balance.

Take some basic management classes and realise that you need to give feedback to your employees, invest time to coach and develop them and give them more work where they can add a value. It's not OK not to complete performance appraisal and not setting up objectives. Get rid of the consultants, they are just milking the company and the quality of their work is often questionable. Give the project work to employees so they will be more engaged as they will feel that they learn something at MoneyGram. Make people involved in the business decisions, be a lot more transparent. Do whatever is the best for the company, not whatever is the best for some privileged upper managers. Choose the best person for the job, not the one who is the nicest but have no qualification or experience to do the job.

Just okay

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

Office Culture is unique, Some perks are worth, retirement benefit is not a choice you have to or they sign you up, Cubicle placement is good, Teamwork is great on some teams

Cons

Communication is lacking at times. There seems to be a disconnect for those that have the information. No cross training, Not may changes for promotion. Some training is a must. Putting irresponsible employees in charge of getting information to everyone.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great until I was terminated, taking the fall for a manager.

Former Employee - Workflow Director  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Workflow Director in Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of my co-workers were great team players and really good people. The Benefits were good and the environment was laid back but productive.

Cons

Corporate didn't understand the teams that were not located at headquarters.

The people in the trenches usually know what's going on, listen to them.

My experience (8 years) with MoneyGram has provided me with great international business skills

Current Employee - Finance  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Finance in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Getting visability to a true Global Corporation and how it functions across many countries, cultures, and languages.

Cons

Very siloed enviornment. Cross department interactions is limited and at times, resented.

Cutting costs, doesn't make a stronger company.

Global fast paced atmosphere

Current Employee - Accountant II  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Accountant II in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of projects going on; it is easy to get involved in

Cons

Disconnect between systems and reporting

Communication is key

bad place work

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

benefit ony. but no longer available

Cons

low pay. center is closing. co workers low wrok ethic

Long time veteran and enjoyed every single day during my employment

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Diversity is strong. Great leadership from upper management. Employees have a great rapport with each other.

Cons

Not much transparency. Global restructuing leading to more outsourced jobs.

Growing out of control

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing people, profitable company, work-life balance

Cons

lack of control, lower compensation, very lean

Representative

Current Employee - Major Account Representative  in  Lakewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Major Account Representative in Lakewood, CO (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

MoneyGram operations is one of the global leading money transfer companies.
    There is a great work environment with nice multicultural high educated people.
    Even though MoneyGram a "mature" company as far as time since it was created and technology investments, it behaves like a start up making many structural changes that sometimes feels like they have lack of strategy that at the end cost money that could be invested in technology.

Cons

MoneyGram is shows sign of the struggles from 2008 economic impact.
    This company has not kept up with technology investments to keep being a strong competitor in the money transfer business or in paper products business.

I disagree with MoneyGram current approach on cutting cost. It is going to hurt the company in the long run.

Worked for MoneyGram International? Contribute to the Community!