MoneyGram International

Updated 20 August, 2014
2.5

MoneyGram International Chairman & CEO Pamela H. Patsley
Pamela H. Patsley

Pros
  • The only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment (in 6 reviews)

• Most of my co-workers were great team players and really good people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of politics within the company (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management inexperienced about the industry (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst place to work

Current Employee - IT Analyst  in  Saint Louis Park, MN (US)
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Saint Louis Park, MN (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nothing that I could think of.

Cons

1) Always change in the management
    2) The leadership team never works hard and is not working towards adding value to the company. They always think about their personal gains.
    3) The leaders form a cozy club. They provide new career opportunities, promotion and pay rise among themselves.

Please hire and respect good resources. Without good resources no company will survive

Embattled Company with too many ongoing corporate risks and overstretched management

Current Employee - Corporate Counsel  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Counsel in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dynamic industry with lots of potential, especially for a 2nd player to a much larger leader.

Cons

Management is unprepared to lead company strategy and employees, proven by many of my colleagues leaving, many shareholder lawsuits, $100 mil fine, DOJ Monitor for 5 years, over-reliance on WalMart, disbanding of departments with no consideration for employees....

Reconsider the quality of the team and the way it approaches business on all scales, not just patching up symptoms.

Dysfunctional, Archaic Culture, Little Direction

Former Employee - IT  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - IT in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

There are some nice people,

Cons

This has to be one of the most archaic cultures you will find. If you want long hours, below market compensation, only 6 paid holidays and poor, indecisive, but secretive elitist management, then this is the place for you. Consider working there at your own risk. It will seem fine going in, but you will quickly question your decision. They are hiring because the turnover is high and their compensation is below market for nearly all of their roles. I was in IT and I saw and heard how disgruntled the full-time workers were throughout the company with salary, benefits and the micromanaging culture. Also, the Wal-Mart impact is bigger than what they are telling everyone. They are going to layoff and outsource jobs soon.

Not sure what you can tell people who get paid a ton of money and won't listen or pay attention to what they see, namely the high turnover.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked for MoneyGram 15 years...currently for online product

I have been working at MoneyGram International

Pros

Rapidly growing company, helps many people. I have awesome coworkers and a great relationship with my department leadership. Talk to a wide range of customers every day.

Cons

Not much opportunity for advancement. The company seems to be moving away from an emphasis on customer service toward company-wide cost cutting. It is a shame so many people must lose their jobs in the next year.

Moving jobs outside US can't be the only way to cut costs. I predict fraud and chargeback rate will skyrocket. Keep MGO operations in US.

The Management is not interested in their employees at all. If you have any question, idea, issue they do not want it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Vacation, a lot when you first start.

Cons

No leadership, No communication, No flexibility, No employee interest, a lot of "leadership" talking behind employees backs with other employees and promotions are given to cover quota not filling with employee's by qualifications.

Start listening to your employees. The ones who do the day to day are the ones you should be getting advice from. Be more involved in their personal lives you have a lot of good people who have everyday issues just like you do but because they are not at your level they do not have the flexibility you do.

It's 'okay'...I guess

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mostly good people, good pay, decent benefits, good PTO offering. Committed to compliance and consumer education regarding scams.

Cons

Limited number of company Holidays (6), always reactive versus proactive when responding to the competitive landscape, little to no visibility into upper management, lots of politics throughout the company, lack of communication throughout company. Company culture doesn't seem to have been fully defined - it seems to differ by department.

Work to better establish the company culture. Offer more training to develop leaders/managers in the company.

Great company to work with

Current Employee - Database Administrator  in  Saint Louis Park, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Saint Louis Park, MN (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

There is always a great work life balance and always opportunities to learn new things for the company is up-todate in the technological front.

Cons

Changes implemented are more rapid with less time for the associates to assimilate them and go with the change.

Cost cutting - To what end

Current Employee - Technical Support  in  Brooklyn Center, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Brooklyn Center, MN (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Overall, the co-workers I deal with are great. My supervisors over the last 10+ years have been pretty good. Benefits are not bad.

Cons

Benefits have steadily eroded since I joined. Less vacation time. Higher premiums for Insurance. Fewer opportunities. Fewer paid holidays.

Morale is horrible throughout the company.

Information is sketchy and rumors spread like wildfire.

Weak executive leadership that is absolutely horrible at communicating with customers or employees.

Lack of direction. Trying to react to market with "me too" solutions. No innovation.

Outmoded systems.

Total lack of respect for front-line employees.

Get a clue. Quit thinking about your next bonus and the next quarter. Maybe it is time to think long - term strategy. This is a business that will likely boom as more and more people in the US are forced away from the traditional banking system. But you won't be part of it if you lose your biggest and best customers today.

Unprofessional and mediocre

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment. There is definitely a good work-life balance in the company due to the fact that people are not engaged so most of the employees are working 9 to 17.30 and are out of the door by 17.31. The office environment is also great, brand new building in central London with free beverages and biscuits.

Cons

Fast paced in a bad way. Decisions are made in hurry, then never finalised. People are not competent in most of the positions, they are not passionate about what they are doing, management spend little time on developing people, which have an impact on the atmosphere. Loads of employees are on the peak of their career, especially the ones who came from banks, burnt out, just wanting a quiet job. Culture is extremely american orientated, you have to be American and being based in Dallas in order to be in a decision making position. Don't be fooled by the job title and the salary as the company is very top heavy which makes managers (even directors) find themselves in a team of one, doing the kind of job that more junior staff is doing in other companies. No room for sharing ideas or challenging decisions as Americans decide about everything and they only need people who execute their decisions, in countries outside of the US not even directors have a decision making role. Structure change almost every month, high turnover in every areas. Lots of politics within the company. Reporting lines don't make sense most of the time. The worst company I've ever worked for, the only reasons I give 2 stars are the office environment and the work-life balance.

Take some basic management classes and realise that you need to give feedback to your employees, invest time to coach and develop them and give them more work where they can add a value. It's not OK not to complete performance appraisal and not setting up objectives. Get rid of the consultants, they are just milking the company and the quality of their work is often questionable. Give the project work to employees so they will be more engaged as they will feel that they learn something at MoneyGram. Make people involved in the business decisions, be a lot more transparent. Do whatever is the best for the company, not whatever is the best for some privileged upper managers. Choose the best person for the job, not the one who is the nicest but have no qualification or experience to do the job.

Just okay

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

Office Culture is unique, Some perks are worth, retirement benefit is not a choice you have to or they sign you up, Cubicle placement is good, Teamwork is great on some teams

Cons

Communication is lacking at times. There seems to be a disconnect for those that have the information. No cross training, Not may changes for promotion. Some training is a must. Putting irresponsible employees in charge of getting information to everyone.

Worked for MoneyGram International? Contribute to the Community!