MoneyGram International

Updated 22 September, 2014
2.5

MoneyGram International Chairman & CEO Pamela H. Patsley
Pamela H. Patsley

Pros
  • The only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment (in 6 reviews)

• Most of my co-workers were great team players and really good people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • poor organization structure, lack of communication, salaries are very low, space is cramped up, benefits and add ons are poor (in 5 reviews)

• Government regulations and fuzzy guidance from upper management hurting the company (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Struggling through change

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office culture is unique. People for the most part are trying to do what is right for the company. Benefits are ok.

Cons

Lack of communication and clear direction from the leadership team.

There needs to be more clear direction from leadership. Seems to have a lack of ownership on projects. Lack of agreement among leadership on what the priorities are for the business.

Lack of labor resources

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people for the most part

Cons

Zero time for any personal life.

Dallas is not ground zero for talent

Excellent people to work with. It went down the tube after the financial fiasco.

I worked at MoneyGram International

Pros

I loved the people I worked with including my boss. We all helped each other. It was very multilingual and multicultural and loved the atmosphere. Great benefits.

Cons

Pay raise was almost close to nothing every year. Upper management didn't really care about us little people. All they cared about their bottom line.

Nothing. They are outsourcing everything.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overpromised, under deliver and can't stop tripping over themselves...

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is competitive for my level...Work is something interesting and challenging.

Cons

In-fighting between the business and IT. No communication within the IT org among the execs - seriously, they sit on the same floor in the same building but they don't communicate. The politicking is horrendous. It is like being in Washington DC.

If you had to send a business analyst to one of your sites to ask why people are leaving....wow. Minds are blown all over the place...really?

MGI SUCKS TOO MANY POLITICS AND RACIST

Current Employee - Compliance Analyst  in  Frisco, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Frisco, TX (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Hmmm can't think of any

Cons

Managers never hold anyone accountable and tends to fire a lot of people of color although they are the ones doing the majority of the work... If you want to get promoted good luck if you are not kissing upper-management butt... Trainers suck and tend to have less experienced then 85% of employees.. The company continues hiring individuals who have no experience in the role they are doing and thus making FTE pick up the slack.... Management continues to develop so called tools that help employees but only slows us down... Company is just bad what else can I say... Nobody respects management

Stop picking favorites and do your damn job. Fire the correct individuals and promote the workers busting their butt and doing the job correctly. Why have team leads if they are idiots. Also learn to be managers and manage. Most the time managers tend to look down on hard working employees who put in the hours but they have other employees who walk around gossip and talk for hours at their desk and they still have their job.

Total chaos!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Absolutely nothing. Organization is heading to chaos.

Cons

The organization is a mess after CEO decided to relocate the HQ from Minneapolis to Dallas, and outsource many positions out of the country. Minneapolis employees were left in limbo after the move/outsourcing, and many if not all, will be losing their jobs. Leadership does not seem to know where the company is heading, probably towards chaos, after they collect their high bonuses and salaries and leave the company. The new positions at the new HQ in Dallas seem to be now performed by clueless individuals with absolutely no knowledge or experience, after long tenured and industry experienced employees were eliminated in Minneapolis. Stay away of this organization!

Quit now!

Worst place to work

Current Employee - IT Analyst  in  Saint Louis Park, MN (US)
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Saint Louis Park, MN (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nothing that I could think of.

Cons

1) Always change in the management
    2) The leadership team never works hard and is not working towards adding value to the company. They always think about their personal gains.
    3) The leaders form a cozy club. They provide new career opportunities, promotion and pay rise among themselves.

Please hire and respect good resources. Without good resources no company will survive

Embattled Company with too many ongoing corporate risks and overstretched management

Current Employee - Corporate Counsel  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Counsel in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dynamic industry with lots of potential, especially for a 2nd player to a much larger leader.

Cons

Management is unprepared to lead company strategy and employees, proven by many of my colleagues leaving, many shareholder lawsuits, $100 mil fine, DOJ Monitor for 5 years, over-reliance on WalMart, disbanding of departments with no consideration for employees....

Reconsider the quality of the team and the way it approaches business on all scales, not just patching up symptoms.

The Management is not interested in their employees at all. If you have any question, idea, issue they do not want it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Vacation, a lot when you first start.

Cons

No leadership, No communication, No flexibility, No employee interest, a lot of "leadership" talking behind employees backs with other employees and promotions are given to cover quota not filling with employee's by qualifications.

Start listening to your employees. The ones who do the day to day are the ones you should be getting advice from. Be more involved in their personal lives you have a lot of good people who have everyday issues just like you do but because they are not at your level they do not have the flexibility you do.

Dysfunctional, Archaic Culture, Little Direction

Former Employee - IT  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - IT in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

There are some nice people,

Cons

This has to be one of the most archaic cultures you will find. If you want long hours, below market compensation, only 6 paid holidays and poor, indecisive, but secretive elitist management, then this is the place for you. Consider working there at your own risk. It will seem fine going in, but you will quickly question your decision. They are hiring because the turnover is high and their compensation is below market for nearly all of their roles. I was in IT and I saw and heard how disgruntled the full-time workers were throughout the company with salary, benefits and the micromanaging culture. Also, the Wal-Mart impact is bigger than what they are telling everyone. They are going to layoff and outsource jobs soon.

Not sure what you can tell people who get paid a ton of money and won't listen or pay attention to what they see, namely the high turnover.

Worked for MoneyGram International? Contribute to the Community!