MoneyGram International

Updated 29 January, 2015
2.4

MoneyGram International Chairman & CEO Pamela H. Patsley
Pamela H. Patsley

Pros
  • The only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment (in 6 reviews)

• Most of my co-workers were great team players and really good people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • poor organization structure, lack of communication, salaries are very low, space is cramped up, benefits and add ons are poor (in 5 reviews)

• Government regulations and fuzzy guidance from upper management hurting the company (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

OK experience

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

Nice working environment, nice people

Cons

pay a little less than I expect

A place to really excel if you are willing to put in the work!

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

MoneyGram is TRULY a global organization. I get the chance to work with individuals all over the world. It is a place that if you are willing to roll up your sleeves and work hard, your efforts are rewarded. The people at MoneyGram are fun and dedicated to the cause!

Cons

Because it's a global organization, I have had to adjust my 'waking up' schedule. Sometimes we have early morning calls, but it's worth it to get to work with my peers abroad.

Continue to share what is going on with your leaders and ask them to make sure it funnels down.

Umm....

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life balance, peer group, location

Cons

Upward mobility, career trajectory is non existence, lack of support from upper management, morale

Stop talking so much and just listen .......

Global complaints specialist

I have been working at MoneyGram International

Pros

Company provides 401k plans, health, dental and vision coverage. Multicultural environment.

Cons

Due to outsourcing, majority of the US based positions are being sent overseas. The focus on the bottom line overpowers the quality of work and employees.

Going down hill, and fast

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MoneyGram was in the past a dynamic, fast growing organization. In the last years the company has lost sense of direction.

A few pros: free coffee, and free coffee

Cons

- A 50% level of turnover. Employees leaving or getting cut which just does not seem logical
    - Stock lost 30% of its value in a single day due to large account management mistakes
    - HR group does not do much.
    - Low career progression perspectives at almost all levels of the organization
    - Poor employee engagement
    - Currently employees are just disoriented with so much turnover, lay-offs
    - Lack of adequate and transparent communication causes a general spirit of mistrust

Employees are feeling the current state that the company faces, improved communication and transparency would be highly recommended.

So-so

I have been working at MoneyGram International

Pros

Decent PTO and free coffee I guess.

Cons

Poor communication. Upper management so cut off from the rank and file that it's not even funny anymore. Tone deaf leaders pretending everything is normal as the ship sails for Poland. This company is sinking quickly.

Management would never listen to advice.

Learning how the company works and how interesting it is to talk to different nationalities.

Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Lakewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Lakewood, CO (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

When you are trying to help people out there are so many people who are just great at misleading other people, and when we could help solve peoples problems and save them money it felt great.

Cons

Listening to people, and finding out what a business is up to if they are legitimate with there clients and the people that work for them. Time off could be negative and this happens at so many call centers. For example you have time off called ( PTO )paid time off but you come to work you are lucky if you have PTO because you can use it. But if you don't and you are sick if you don't call in 24 hours ahead of time to let them know you are sick, and you happen to show up at work and you become ill, throwing up for example and you tell them you need to go home you can occur an occurrence and they may give you a warning other times they will write you up for being ill. Because you didn't give them a 24 hour notice. How are you supposed to know that you are going to be ill. Sometimes you have know idea what your body is going to do. The company is closing and we are all getting laid off.

When you are training someone. And you have them training side by side with someone, for the duration of the training let them sit with that one person always. You confuse people when you have them sit with different people and you get them all mixed up everyone trains differently. If they learn from just one person they learn their techniques and their skills, but when you try to train with different people everyday they each have a different way of doing their job and you loose the person that you are training it becomes difficult learning from one person to the next. For time off policies I understand we get sick but if someone is trying to come to work even though they are ill and you can see that they are ill. Management should recognize that. They were there sometimes the illness can carry to other employees as well. Send those people home.

Toxic, toxic environment.

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

After more than 22 years, my job is coming to an end on December 31st, and is being outsourced to Poland. What a great company it used to be. Now, the only ones to get a promotion are those in senior management.

Cons

Lots of turnover, little training, low pay, small merit increases.

Management: I know you're committed to outsourcing most of the positions, but do you have any idea how much experience is walking out the door?

A boat with flame, go to sink step by step

Current Employee - Business Development Manager
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

only the life and work balance is good.

Cons

blind management lead blind people

no words

Ok work environment

Former Employee - Compliance Analyst I in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Compliance Analyst I in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Getting to work with outlets around the world in legl compliance, team atmosphere and training opportunities in the legal/compliance field.

Cons

The upper management never really provided much feedback on work. Many of my colleagues spent the day applying for other jobs .

Give more feedback on work.