Molina Healthcare

Molina Healthcare Reviews

Updated 20 October, 2014
Updated 20 October, 2014
2.6

Molina Healthcare Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Molina Healthcare of California J. Mario Molina
J. Mario Molina

Pros
  • Pay is decent and benefits aren't bad (in 9 reviews)

• Good Benefits, good vacation and flexible time (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Promises are made for advancement and not kept by upper management (in 12 reviews)

• Worst work-life balance I've ever had the displeasure to experience (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked here as an intern for one year and I love it. The culture is amazing and management is very helpful and a lot of fun to work with.

Cons

They don't have a big budget for certain projects.

Keep up the good work!

A great place to work.

I worked at Molina Healthcare

Pros

This is a very family-friendly company.

Cons

Disparate organizations in support roles.

Centralize your support (e.g., technical, IT) organizations. The same support structures can be found in Texas, Louisiana and Utah. Coordination becomes difficult.

Roller coaster

I have been working at Molina Healthcare

Pros

Great location, some great managers.

Cons

Some employees are very difficult to work with, everyone knows each other (referrals).

Hire more non-referrals!

Working here for 2 years

Current Employee - API in Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - API in Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good working offices. Supervisor support when needed. Good place to start your career to learn and earn experience.

Cons

Underpaid in some cases. They pay you low but expect you work much more than the level they advertised in job posts. They take advantage of your capabilities to do complicated work as much as they can without thinking how to have a corespondent compensation for these!!! As a result, good employees have to leave for better opportunities. Second, they refuse to pay you overtime even though they know you have to work overtime to complete their assignments. Finally you have to take work home without pay if you want not to look bad in front of them, which will affect your humble benefits. Stupid coaching and training system which just creates un-realistic imagination to fill in the coaching forms, cost time, money, create unnecessary pressure, but doesn't bring any effectiveness and improvements.

Please think about your employees. If they can do the jobs which nobody in the department can, please consider a fair compensation for them.

Molina Family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare

Pros

personal growth, learning, people, culture, environment

Cons

in-house training classes need some restructuring

Print and Fulfillment department dissolved and outsourced

Current Employee - Print and Fulfillment Specialist in Bothell, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Print and Fulfillment Specialist in Bothell, WA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There were some extremely experienced team members who were able to handle huge challenges, and I learned a lot from them in the year I was there.

Cons

In 2014 it was decided to dissolve the in-house print and fulfillment department and outsource it. So as of summer 2014, it simply doesn't exist.
    One of the problems the department had was a cliquish attitude. There was a high school-style "in" group, which got old.
    Another issue was the lack of understanding (or willingness to understand) the time needed to produce custom printed materials on the part of the other offices in the company. There was also a great deal of disorganization. (Perhaps that will be improved on by the vendor who is taking over the department.)

Set up an online materials request web site, with requester profiles which include their department, what they have ordered in the past, and subscriptions to materials they'd like to order in the future - so they'll get a 'ping' when someone else in their office places an order for something, they can jump in and order at the same time. Getting a small order for something, followed a week later by another small request for the same thing, is inefficient and not cost effective.

LPN

Current Employee - Prior Authorization Nurse in Bothell, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Prior Authorization Nurse in Bothell, WA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice professional people to work with

Cons

Constant rotation of staff as many leave Molina

Worst plantation ever

Current Employee - Anonymous in Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Albuquerque, NM (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent and benefits aren't bad

Cons

Mid- and senior management are complete morons. Employees are slaves expected to just nod their heads and say "Yes massuh" to every idiotic order. Employees are never consulted when processes are changed and do not feel valued. Employees at this health plan are leaving in droves. Office politics are not even thinly disguised, and your advancement is based on who you know. They keep the dysfunctional employees and run off the good ones. I will be gone as soon as I find another job.

Advice to corporate: Clean house.

Owners are clueless (and seem to be uncaring) about what's really happening within the workforce.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fast growing, multi-state company; decent benefits. Good work location; close to the beach. Pretty good weather most of the year.

Cons

Executive and management "team" very disjointed; very political atmosphere. Cutthroats on the inside and very judgemental. The company has lost its soul and the very reason the founders started the business. Owners no longer care or are so out of touch with reality about their employees; continues to lose employees as quickly as they're trying to get them in.

Get involved and get to know your worker bees. Get ALL the facts before placing final judgements. Hire competent people that are knowledgeable in their respective fields. Hiring people simply because you know them, especially in key management positions, is doing more harm then good; simply getting a bunch of "yes" men. Owners really needs to get to know which of their people in management are trustworthy.

Awful workplace

Former Employee - Case Manager in Springfield, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Springfield, IL (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, Co workers, members, volunteer opportunities.

Cons

Management, senior leadership, no training, all employees are referred, segregation amongst departments, no communication amongst departments

Listen to your staff. Ask them questions better yet you should know the job better than your staff. Nothing is worse than asking your manager for assistance and being given the wrong information. You're not that busy, your job is to manage not 8hr meetings all day. Communicate with the staff what goes on in those meetings. Have your staff back. They know the job better than you. Stop talking behind all your staff back and gossiping with your referrals. It does get out when we're out on breaks. We know you aren't smart. We know the ones that's skating by. We won't cover for you and do your work for you while you take the credit. You should talk to the other department managers to find out what the others are responsible for. Know your workflow and other departments as well. At least know where you can find it. Lastly, learn how to comprehend. Don't just read understand what you're reading. Mayer fact take the time to read before you hit the reply button. We don't have time to continously train our new managers.