Molina Healthcare

Molina Healthcare Reviews

Updated 22 November, 2014
Updated 22 November, 2014
2.6

Molina Healthcare Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Molina Healthcare of California J. Mario Molina
J. Mario Molina

Pros
  • Pay is decent and benefits aren't bad (in 9 reviews)

• They have good benefits,nice people to work with and chance for growth (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Promises are made for advancement and not kept by upper management (in 12 reviews)

• Worst work-life balance I've ever had the displeasure to experience (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have good benefits,nice people to work with and chance for growth. Good company to work for if your looking for long term employment

Cons

Hard to move within the company because it's not what you know it's actually who you know, other than that the job is ok

None really

Nice, skilled, hardworking colleagues, stable company

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Molina fills a need--serving the low-income population with quality medical services. It's a mission that is taken seriously and one I feel great about, working for this company. The benefits are generous, including paid time off. Sometimes there's a ton of work, other times not. In my department, we are given a lot of autonomy and trust. Everyone I work with is smart and driven, including all my supervisors.

Cons

Although it's a sizable company, it's also a bit like a mom and pop operation that is a bit disorganized. This can cause some problems. Also the company intranet is a big of a joke. Please get with the times with that, folks.

Fix the intranet!

Overall good, but it's all about who you know

I worked at Molina Healthcare

Pros

Great work life balance, good paid time off opportunities. The company is moving towards having their employees lead a healthier lifestyle.

Cons

There's a lot of people who are in roles just because they know someone who is higher up. This creates a lot of favoritism. This only happens in certain departments.

They lie to get people in the door

I have been working at Molina Healthcare

Pros

Flexible to a point when it comes to attendance but that's about it..

Cons

You gotta kiss the leadership's butts to get anywhere, during your interview they give you one job description but when you get in you do something totally different, to many people in charge without leadership experience, you gotta be part of their click or you don't stand a chance

Figure it out and stop playing favoritism ...what about the MBR's? It shouldn't be about the numbers ..remember what field we work in and the kind of members we have ....

Good place to get experience, then move on.

Former Employee - Rep in Long Beach, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Rep in Long Beach, CA (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company culture, great benefits and move view overlooking the ocean.

Cons

Pay is not too competitive. Discouraged from negotiating salary. It is about who you know. Lots of politics

Salaries should be more attractive, raises/ promotions should reflect company growth. Just saying.....

I great experience with a wonderful team and support

Former Employee - Member Services Representative in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Member Services Representative in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

office culture, salary, team support, schedule, security, confidentiality, benefits, opportunities, loyalty.

Cons

training, the lack of training cause you a little of hard time on the beginning if you never worked on healthcare before.

Middle sized company with start up qualities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are tons of projects and processes that employees can help build the foundation for. This means there is opportunity for exciting work if you want it. This is the start up quality to the company.

Cons

Communication across the org is lacking and the it isn't always easy to find what you need when you are looking for something.

The most caring publicly traded company that I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Extremely ethical, cares about its employees and tremendous benefits.

Cons

Approval levels for simple decisions still have to go to senior management.

You pay well for the talent, so let them do what they know how to do.

Good place if you want to be micromanaged and not be appreciated for your job.

Former Employee - Healthcare Services Department In Texas
    Former Employee - Healthcare Services Department In Texas

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Medical benefits, 401 k, great people to work with for the most part. Vacation time is decent. Good corporate values but only on paper because they are not followed.

Cons

Employees are treated like children. Management change the rules as they please, sometimes daily and are not held accountable for their actions. Raises are a joke. Its hard to move within the company, it's about who you know. Senior management only cares about the bottom line and not about their members. Overall morale is low.

Minimize the favoritism and hire good line managers that will make a difference.

Nightmare in Tallahassee, FL

Former Employee - Drug Rebate Analyst I in Tallahassee, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Drug Rebate Analyst I in Tallahassee, FL (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The small staff are hard-working and task-focused. The new office supervisor was wonderful. We were a great team.

Cons

Sick leave & vacation leave are lumped together, so if you want to plan a vacation or a little time off, just don't get sick & stay out. So stressful. No opportunities for promotion. Those great benefits & perks? Your paying for it. Anthem BCBS covers only the basics & you can rack up huge medical bills before you know it. All management (but 1 person) are out of state. Communication is by phone, email (a 'ton' every day!) & IM. Very impersonal & it was easy for KL & AC to be rude & demeaning when not face-to-face. Teamwork was not encouraged. If one employee wanted to help another employee, I was told "no, it's not your job". I know that Molina is an awesome company. But the Tallahassee Drug Rebate program is poorly managed, The turn-over rate is evidence. I can't imagine Dr. Molina would ever treat his staff this way.

Management should treat staff as educated, hard-working and dedicated. You reap what you sow. I was interviewed over the phone. One of the questions asked was "What do you expect from management". My answer was, "Appreciation for a job well-done". After they thought I was no longer on the phone, I heard KL tell JB, "I hope I don't have to send her flowers every week". My instincts told me to withdraw my resume. But I wanted to learn new skills. The very first day on the job it was obvious that the staff & supervisor were miserable & they had no reservations about verbalizing this to me. I thought that they were just young & ungrateful & I would make my own decision. It was the most torturous 20 months of my life.