Mitchell International

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Mitchell International President and CEO Alex Sun

Alex Sun

50 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people work at Mitchell!

Product Delivery (Former Employee)

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople you work with day in and day out are awesome. They make it worth getting up in the morning and doing your best.

ConsRegular restructuring cycles have working people nervous about losing their job. Quote from one of the more respected senior engineers "once you reach certain pay grade you are fair game and most likely to be replaced by a junior and less costly employee regardless of performance" - that same individual was expected to work a regular day, be in a night deployment from 10 pm to 2 am and return to work next day in the morning - sometimes repeating the same routine 3 times on the same week.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more quality engineers and give the scrum teams some breathing room

You'll probably be dissatisfied but your great coworkers can soften the blow.

I worked at Mitchell International full-time

ProsMid-sized stable company, nice building/rooms, fun company-wide socials, I had a relatively good boss

ConsCheap, energy-draining. There is a significant offshore component and Indian which is fine, but there seems to be more foreign holiday celebrations than American ones. Also, get ready for late-night calls. Varying levels of competence.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider paying people what they're worth and need to make a living in the US, especially in regards to the competition which can steal away your better workers. I heard various other coworkers complaining of pay.

Cut throat environment with growth opportunities if you're on the right side of the fence

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you want the experience of working in a startup company (lean teams, wearing many different hats) then Mitchell is a good place to start. Although this company has been around for a long time (originally founded in 1965, then acquiring new arms of business - for example, in 1994 (Mitchell ACS/Mitchell Medical), 2005 (Fair Isaac's Workers Comp division), 2013 (National Health Quest out of network negotiation services), the company operates as if the company had just opened its doors. The other pro is the people at this company - I've met some of my best friends here, and the people who have stuck around for several years are wonderful people.

ConsThe biggest challenge is that leadership is failing under pressures from the new private equity partner to meet their investment objectives, and from customers who are demanding a higher level of service. There is a lot of "smoke and mirrors" in play, and the leadership team tends to place blame on those in mid-level management and below if objectives that were set without having the proper infrastructure are not met. Mitchell's leadership is notorious for using favoritism and workplace politics, pushing high quality employees out. Mitchell tends to hire upper management roles from outside. It is rare that existing employees move up in the company, and if they are promoted, they typically do not get paid as much as someone would if they were to come from outside. Work days tend to be long, and include nights and weekends regularly if you are not an hourly employee, and although Mitchell is working on doing a better job to recognize people for their hard work, recognition is still something Mitchell's management fails at doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and support them by building out better infrastructure for problem resolution (creating new jobs and filling them promptly so that Mitchell can deliver a higher level of service to its customers and partners), find a platform for knowledge storage and stick to it (don't jump back and forth between Salesforce and Microsoft Sharepoint). Be a "greener" employer in San Diego, and promote the use of recyclable and reusable materials, and be a healthier employer by promoting work life balance. It is clear from the work product (code, Customer Service responses, and on up) that most of your work force is overworked.

Lack of Vision and Leadership

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than a year

Pros- great co-workers who work very hard to develop great products

Cons- lack of leadership and vision which makes for a chaotic, non-focused working environment
- employees are not treated as an asset (e.g. Mitchell tries to get away with offering their employees with as little compensation as possible)
- salaries are not competitive to industry
- lack in upward mobility opportunity and career path plans

Advice to Senior ManagementAcquire leaders who understand how to lead and how to build a vision for an entire division and want to do right not only for the company but for their employees, too. Motivate and retain your employees by compensating them with competitive salaries, stocks, gifts, etc.

Poor/Too Much Management

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMost of the people who work here are friendly. The atmosphere is usually pretty laid back.

ConsThe management leaves a lot to be desired. They continually ask for feedback from employees and then promptly ignore it. On the APD side you are in constant fire fighting mode. There is always a customer priority that will take precedence over your assigned work and then you will be punished for not getting your assigned work completed. Nights and weekends will be spent deploying software and you are always on call.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen developing software, spend the money up front and do it right. The amount of money you save on one quarters budget will cost you 10 fold in future quarters. Pay your good employees at least market rate.

One of the worst corporate cultures I've experienced

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are some really smart people you get to work with (mostly the workers under management layer). Mitchell has experienced success in spite its poor management and products. If customers could easily switch from Mitchell's bug-ridden software, they would in a heartbeat.

ConsDysfunctional management
Poor leadership/lack of clear direction
Constant fire fighting mode

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst - listen to the feedback in the Employee Engagement Survey and actually do something about the valuable employee feedback. Stop wasting employee's time if you aren't going to listen to them.
Second-increase pay and give bonuses to employees. Pay at Mitchell is really low.
Third-only promote managers who are good at leading and communicating. Way too much politics at this place and many managers with poor people skills.
Fourth-Sales should not be running the company. Stop the culture of overpromise and undeliver.

Amateur managers who haven't a clue what leadership is about.

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood location by UTC, nice people, reasonable hours.

ConsVeal pen sized work areas, horrific managers who are absorbed with advancing and keeping their jobs by taking credit for work of those they manage, miniscule raises, no promotions, abusive reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain managers on leadership skills, reward hard work, provide work spaces that promote human dignity rather than detract from it, give decent raises on occasion.

Competitive salary, people care about their jobs and work hard, in-fighting between departments

I have been working at Mitchell International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood place to learn about corporate culture and understand basics of software and its uses in the insurance industry.

ConsInterdepartmental in fighting cause a bottle neck in product development and deployments. Management (Director and above) is achieved not by skill & hard work but by who you know. Every 18-24 months they implement a round of lay-offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are top heavy at the Director/VP level.

Old boys club

Engineer (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Mitchell International full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat salary, really nice people, opportunity for advancement, friendly atmosphere.

ConsIT dept is an old boys club, they're cheap on infrastructure and tools, they are behind the curve on technology, and poor benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in new talent, and significantly increase incentives and benefits to keep talent there.

Good company but unfair experience

Technical Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood software company, good co-workers, great working eironmentn.

ConsBiased and unfair management. Discriiamination and preferential treatment to some.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a better eye on Department management and sexisim and discrimination

Worked for Mitchell International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mitchell International reviews and ratings in San Diego, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mitchell International CEO Alex Sun. All 50 reviews posted anonymously by Mitchell International employees.