Microsoft

Updated Jul 29, 2014

3.6 7,613 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 688 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference (in 893 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance (in 476 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist (in 369 reviews)

More Highlights
7,613 Employee Reviews

Great tech company, Canada lacks it's USA counterpart though.

Manager (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsGreat tech company to work for and tries to keep up with others who are all fighting for our attention.

ConsSome perks in Canada are not up to the USA perks. Food court is good idea but it lacks inspiration and not what USA experiences. Bring standArds up, we are Microsoft.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet consistency to other techs companies by treating canada like part of the company. Which campus I work in should not dictate how I am treated.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place to work

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, discussions with manager about going forward in life, doing what I love.

ConsWork too much some days.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the lower level employees.

Awesome. Lots of perks.

Campus Ambassador (Current Employee) Saskatoon, SK

ProsSmart people everywhere. Zero discrimination. What matters is what you can do and the experience you have had

ConsNon. Working for Microsoft is the best thing anyone can ask for

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the good work. It will be nice to have an event for the Campus Ambassadors in Canada. That will be motivating.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lost Decade-great to learn how not to run a company and subsidiary

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsSome extremely smart people and some intersting roles to tackle. Varied and diversified product set.

ConsReward system has killed innovation and left a lot of people disillusioned.
    Promotions are confusing at best when the best local people continue to be overlooked in favor of people from any country but Canada. Customers are very vocal about the lack of continuity and relationships as well as the lack of knowledge about the Canadian market in general. The Canadian sub is seen as a pasture vs. what it used to be as a stepping stone. Not a place for real technology sellers. The culture in Canada specifically has been toxic for so long that I don't think anyone is capable of leading out from underneath this. The managers who have stayed at too risk averse to leave and like the safety of $200-$300K/year without having to do a lot or have much in the way of real accountability. Safe doesn't equate to innovation or people development or top compensation or a meaningful stock price that is sustainable.

Advice to Senior ManagementMissed the boat to get some new perspective with the recent CEO move.
    Scrap the reward system and the "correction of errors" soundtrack. The scorecards and KPI lists and metrics of metrics mean you now have an army of people doing nothing to positively impact the stock price - they all simply report what has already happened and everyone in each successive layer of management becomes more and more critical without any ability to add any value. Try actually promoting some of the people from your ExPO programs in geographies like Canada to CLT or adapt a maximum import rule on talent.

Awesome Company that executed well on so many fronts. They gave internal people great consideration if you wanted chang

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsLots of opportunity to do different things and get into different areas. The breadth of the company is unmatched

ConsAs it got bigger, politics became more important to rewards and career advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak up the cliques and stop the infighting. Evenly distribute the rewards more to the staff that are not EVP.SVP

It's a great place to be, but only for FTEs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsAggressive growth plans, renewed focus, large company that you can have many options for career growth. They also have a ton of training materials for anyone to get ramped up on anything.

ConsOther posters have said this before, one moment you feel like you are in 'Survivor' and another you are in 'Emperor Has New Clothes'. The environment is very cut throat, lots of political wrangling, and CYA. They also treat contractors (they call vendors) vastly different than FTEs even when Vendors are performing Jobs equivalent to FTEs. It starts with the color of the badge to restricted access in sections of buildings, restrictions on company meetings/functions that they can attend.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. I have no advice as this is the company culture at MSFT

Once incredible but culture is changing for the worse

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsIncredible breadth of products and markets provide ample opportunity to take your career in nearly any direction particularly if you are willing to relocate to Redmond.

ConsSales culture has shifted from empowered to micro managed. Execs and senior managers spend too much time navel gazing and internally than on customers and markets.

Great company

ProsWorking on large scale products.

ConsLarge companies are hard to change.

Great overall experience

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThe culture, the empowerment, the work environment, the learnings of the industry and being part of a very dynamic team, having the ability to orchestrate your own projects and making a tangible impact.

ConsOne of the fallbacks was that some work in cross-functional settings led to increased dependability in teams that had a more laid back culture which led to unnecessary setbacks in project deadlines. Nevertheless, effective communication led to quality delivery and all was good at the end.

Best company to grow in

Marketing Associate (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsMicrosoft really took care of me in my time there and wanted me to succeed. There is a huge emphasis put on personal and career growth. A lot of autonomy given to complete tasks and passion projects as well. Overall an amazing company to work for.

ConsJust like any other large company, some projects are slow moving because of processes. Pay for interns is under the average.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!