Microsoft

3.6 7,028 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

7,028 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber"
    in 609 reviews
  • "Some smart people in pockets but not many of them great at politics so marginalized"
    in 845 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-Life balance can easily get out of whack if you don't actively manage expectations"
    in 443 reviews
  • "The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist"
    in 358 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Positive

Marketing Intern (Current Employee)
Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern for more than a year

ProsGreat company to have on your resume. Very supportive co-workers, lots of opportunity for growth, and always something exciting to work on.

ConsAt times I feel out of the loop on a lot of things, which makes it difficult to do my job. A few internal services don't always work, and some subscriptions literally took a year for me to receive (employee MSDN).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on keeping on. The company is heading in the right direction, the values are solid, just need to keep working at it and improve the little things.

Organized chaos sales environment, paniced stressed management...with good benefits.

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits, access to training, current technology and gadgets always leading edge. Good name for a resume to move to another organization that embraces its employees. Flexible working hours...or more clearly - does 10+ hours a day no matter how you fit them in to your life a benefit?

ConsShould pay developers more as sales and marketing execution is terrible. Work/life balance is terrible...and although preached, no one admits that their annual salary needs to be divided by 14hr work day. If you aren't online, you aren't visible...if you aren't visible prepare for a 'discussion' with manager/ment.

Advice to Senior Management10+ yrs of pushing a work/life balance mantra is now embarrassing you. Unless you are willing to sacrifice good people for the sake of their families the exodus of sr/experienced people will leave.

Very good company to work for.

I have been working at Microsoft

ProsBig company, iconic but small company feel

Conscomplex business to navigate at times

Software sales

I have been working at Microsoft

Prosyou have everything to be successful and high degree of autonomy

Consaverage salary package compared to the competition

Good stable place; great for employees with family

Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible work schedule (goal driven)
High percentage of people with family/kids, so it's normal to have to take time to attend family matters
Pay a bit above industry average
Huge company allows to change job/manager while remaining in the same company
Recent review process revision was much needed

ConsFocus on delivering new features sometimes comes at the cost of strong development tools (bad IDE, manually modifying critical text files, long build times, etc)
Still working on the "One Microsoft" goal
Can be stressful at times, especially if you are on call

Great place to work

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

ProsGreat benefits, discussions with manager about going forward in life, doing what I love.

ConsWork too much some days.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the lower level employees.

Great tech company, Canada lacks it's USA counterpart though.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat tech company to work for and tries to keep up with others who are all fighting for our attention.

ConsSome perks in Canada are not up to the USA perks. Food court is good idea but it lacks inspiration and not what USA experiences. Bring standArds up, we are Microsoft.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet consistency to other techs companies by treating canada like part of the company. Which campus I work in should not dictate how I am treated.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Lost Decade-great to learn how not to run a company and subsidiary

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome extremely smart people and some intersting roles to tackle. Varied and diversified product set.

ConsReward system has killed innovation and left a lot of people disillusioned.
Promotions are confusing at best when the best local people continue to be overlooked in favor of people from any country but Canada. Customers are very vocal about the lack of continuity and relationships as well as the lack of knowledge about the Canadian market in general. The Canadian sub is seen as a pasture vs. what it used to be as a stepping stone. Not a place for real technology sellers. The culture in Canada specifically has been toxic for so long that I don't think anyone is capable of leading out from underneath this. The managers who have stayed at too risk averse to leave and like the safety of $200-$300K/year without having to do a lot or have much in the way of real accountability. Safe doesn't equate to innovation or people development or top compensation or a meaningful stock price that is sustainable.

Advice to Senior ManagementMissed the boat to get some new perspective with the recent CEO move.
Scrap the reward system and the "correction of errors" soundtrack. The scorecards and KPI lists and metrics of metrics mean you now have an army of people doing nothing to positively impact the stock price - they all simply report what has already happened and everyone in each successive layer of management becomes more and more critical without any ability to add any value. Try actually promoting some of the people from your ExPO programs in geographies like Canada to CLT or adapt a maximum import rule on talent.

Awesome. Lots of perks.

Campus Ambassador (Current Employee)
Saskatoon, SK

I have been working at Microsoft part-time for more than a year

ProsSmart people everywhere. Zero discrimination. What matters is what you can do and the experience you have had

ConsNon. Working for Microsoft is the best thing anyone can ask for

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the good work. It will be nice to have an event for the Campus Ambassadors in Canada. That will be motivating.

Once incredible but culture is changing for the worse

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIncredible breadth of products and markets provide ample opportunity to take your career in nearly any direction particularly if you are willing to relocate to Redmond.

ConsSales culture has shifted from empowered to micro managed. Execs and senior managers spend too much time navel gazing and internally than on customers and markets.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All 7,028 reviews are posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.