Microsoft

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.6 7,537 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber(in 675 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference(in 886 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance(in 474 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist(in 367 reviews)

7,537 Employee Reviews

Awesome while it lasted

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsThe people were awesome. Salary was good. Vacation and benefits too. Work was fun. Through the review process, feedback from coworkers + management helped me improve.

ConsBeing a small module of a huge company could be tough. Lots of irrelevant emails. Stuff that only applies to the US employees. All the hype around reconfiguration that doesn't really end up affecting us. Security and distance getting in the way of communication and info sharing to do better, faster work.

Great companies

Channel Manager (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsI have access to good salary, bonus, education allowance, RRSP matching and of course benefits
    Get the dash trash to do low grade menial work
    You can focus on strategic work

ConsSometimes too many direction changes but just roll with it and it will change soon enough
    However it takes a chunk out of you trying to always adapt to the latest but as Darwin said it is the rule of survival

Advice to Senior ManagementYES! Absolutely Cloud is here and we will show google and other pretenders what this is about. Go Microsoft! Go Microsoft employees

Rewarding, fast-paced, and quick to grow.

Volume Licensing Project Coordinator (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsA great and open collaborative environment with room to individually excel. Management is exceptional and nurturing providing plentiful opportunities for growth and learning.

ConsNew projects consistently stack up while previous projects are still under development.Weeks can greatly vary in time commitments and are usually not spaced out evenly.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage and share better career navigation advice.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work/life balance, innovative technology, company changing for the better, hope its not too late

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsWork/life balance, innovative technology, friendly people.

ConsPay is above average, bonuses are average, sometimes promote the wrong people.

Ms canada

Account Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGood salary three week holiday good benefits

ConsSales strategy always changing, make you think you are alwsys late on budgets

Advice to Senior ManagementM

Account Manager

ProsGreat Company Culture
    Exciting new products
    Work-Life Balance is pretty good during slow quarters

ConsManagement is numbers driven and doesn't provide much guidance
    Not enough support given when issues are escalated
    no accountability from the virtual team

Best Company to Work For

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsAmazing professional development, work life balance and overall care for employees

ConsCan be a bit bureaucratic

Awesome people, transforming company.

ProsCompany is drastically and rapidly changing the way it does things to become more agile.

ConsA lot of management layers makes it hard to get things done quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the fat.

Challenging

Solution Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsGreat People, and pretty good technology

ConsNot a Sales Organization it's a R&D company, with too many silos, and competing Agenda

Advice to Senior ManagementMatrix Management is going to be the death of this American success. Local, Regional, National structure will bring a team environment and Customer first attitude back. GET RID OF SCORECARDS managment

The bad and the good

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsThe dash trash will work for you if you apply the right kind of motivation.
    It is a prestigious organization and looks good on your resume for sure. Write your own ticket from here.

ConsUnreasonable management and pink slip happy. The manager believing this is the 18th century puts pressure on you leading to producing sub-par results. It is quite suffocating.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!