Microsoft

3.5 2,940 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

2,940 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Thoughts after 10 years....

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

ConsBrand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Senior ManagementI'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

An innovative and employee friendly company!

Usability/Playtest Coordinator (Former Employee)
Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor for more than a year

ProsEmployees are given the freedom to grow and learn more skills as well as advance in their career. Microsoft is always on the cutting edge of technology so the work environment is constantly changing to accommodate growth. It was a privilege and an honor to have the opportunity to work for such a highly regarded company.

ConsThere are so many others competing for the chance to work at Microsoft, it is more difficult to find permanent employment there.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps, consider contract employees who go above and beyond job requirements to show their dedication to their job and the best interest of the company.

Good benefits... bad HR

Program Manager II (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company has a lot of smart people
Good products
Good exposure to technology that is used by millions

ConsVery type A and self absorbed organization
Stack ranking in HR is really a de-motivator
Products developed are still not designed with the end user in mind - they cater to the Engineers that develop the products, SI. Admins, IT staff ...not the end user

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more diversity of personality types not just nationalities

Steady but slowly changing

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefit, well balanced work life.

ConsLost 10 years and more under not so well directed management.

Advice to Senior ManagementContribution Margins isn't the best measure of success.

Good company to work for

Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSmart people. High quality co-workers. Very visible project that can influence lives of millions of people.

ConsReview system. They are finding ways to change it but due to the size of the company, it is a very hard task. Pay is low for long-timers compared to new-comers.

Advice to Senior Managementreward people, with higher salary!

Challenging, fun, great people

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVariety of technologies and products to work on, benefits, quality of employees

Conssize, cross-group coordination, agility and time to market

Great

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat, fun place to work at. Good benefits, good work life balance. A lot of flexibility to move within the company. Microsoft was fumbling for a while, but they are now aligned to a single vision, and have high potential to execute.

ConsSometimes it can be daunting to move at this behemoth's speed. This is changing, should get better. If you are a leader, there is opportunity to make a difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture is changing, but there is still a lot of work to be done. The company feels now like 3-4 companies - a huge improvement over the 8 companies it used to be, but still not executing on a unified, single vision. Bing, MSN, search all your online offerings feel disjointed to product roadmap.

Challenging, but rewarding position

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft as a contractor for more than a year

ProsIt is well established global company that is the leader in its field. You will find some of the brightest minds in the world working here. The experience will help you wherever you decide to go with your career.

ConsAs a large company goes, it can be quite overwhelming to work here. And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance. But, if you can manage it, you will be fine.

Great normally

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft for more than 10 years

ProsNormally a great place to work, IF you have a good group

ConsIF your group is one of the ones that is in trouble everything will suffer, career, work life balance, salary, bonus.
It can be a hyper political place as well

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the new focus, lighten the politics and do the right thing for the employees and the customers.

Relaxed environment

Software Development Engineer (SDE) II (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to work on good algorithms and loads of perks.

ConsAnnual review process is not good and it bitters your relationship with your peers

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the annual review process and just see how one performed rather than doing the stack ranking.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings in Redmond, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All 2,940 reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.