Microsoft Reviews in Redmond, WA

8,472 Reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
1,162 Ratings

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 833 reviews)

• You will get the opportunity to work with smart people solving real world problems (in 975 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not good in some places but it really depends on your role (in 543 reviews)

• Review system that pushes people to look out for themselves instead of being team focused (in 398 reviews)

More Highlights

3,498 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

Reliability Engineer

Current Employee - Reliability in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Reliability in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart people
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Career development is slow specially if you are young

Very good experience. The load is not very heavy. People are friendly inside the company. The company is very large.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very Large. Good pay for software engineers. Good compensation for interns. Free gifts for interns every year.

Cons

Company is too large. Food is not very good.

Absolutely the best experience I could hope for. I have an amazing team!

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Comprehensive benefits - Stock options, 401k matching, etc.
    - Great bonuses
    - Not many 80-hour weeks
    - Managers respect your time off

Cons

- it rains a lot :(
    - Lots of meetings

Can't you do anything about the rain?

Excellent place to work for developers!

Former Employee - Lead Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company really values top talent. if you are smart and driven to prove it YOU WILL BE REWARDED!
    So many intangibles Microsoft employee discounts, many cafeterias on campus, etc.

Cons

Health insurance used to be top notch now it pretty much isn't.
    Extremely political.

All companies in one company

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Lead in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Lead in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lot of technical areas to work on, Lots of new projects, good benefits, work life balance

Cons

Big & Mature company means low agility some times

Great company to work for for a long time. Product units vary greatly in culture - choose wisely.

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse, a lot of opportunities, a lot of good talent to learn from, good opportunities for career growth as an IC and as a manager.

Cons

Microsoft still has work to do to fully embrace the new cloud-first world. Its extensive legacy is a relative guarantee of revenue, but is also a huge deadweight that hinders innovation.
    Not as sexy to work in as it once had been, so it may not be attracting the top-most talent anymore.
    Compensation is less that some of the competition.
    The entire technological stack is proprietary, which means that technical skills you learn will not be immediately applicable in Open Source shops without some adaptation.

Learns more from new leaders of the areas we're entering. New CEO, however, already seems to be turning company in that direction.

20+ year career, varied experiences, the company where I "grew up"

Former Employee - Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large company with large number of opportunities to gain experience, excellent compensation package, Challenging environment pushes you to produce good work.

Cons

Depending on the team, can be overly political and slow. Culture is very entrenched and slow to change. Performance model legacy leads to negative behavior

Performance Model is the biggest negative for working at Microsoft. It discouraged teamwork, and was demoralizing for personality types that do not enjoy self-promotion. The new model is heading in the right direction, but implementation is unclear and it doesn't appear management is totally bought in.

Company with good talent needs to break through innovation rut

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

smart people, good breadth of products

Cons

innovation rut in last few years

Changing and Inspiring for the Future

Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

New review structure involves clear, simple, quarterly discussions with the manager. CEO is inspiring. New direction for cloud and devices makes sense. Long term strategy is good -- execution is going. Great HR perks -- Get Fit (Health) is fantastic! Tuition reimbursement is solid.

Cons

A big company and still can take long to try and get things done.

Thanks for making work-life balance possible. Thanks for valuing employees and customers. Please continue to invest in current employees and value the team work.