Microsoft

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.5 3,147 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 688 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference (in 893 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance (in 476 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist (in 369 reviews)

More Highlights
3,147 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Thoughts after 10 years....

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

Pros1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

ConsBrand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Senior ManagementI'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

Microsoft - The future looks great and now is the best time to work for

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsUnder CEO Satya Nadella, Microsoft is going in the right direction. I believe the senior leadership is doing the right things, making the Engineering changes like combined Engineering model, less management chain and focusing on the core strengths. As an employee, I get less tangled in processes and am free to do my stuff without micro-management. Great work gets noticed by not only by my manager but all the way up to the VP level and rewards follow. I am provided opportunities to take on additional responsibilities which paves the way for professional growth.
    Unlike other competitor companies, work-life balance is much better at Microsoft. I can manage to spend a lot of quality time with my family, take periodic vacations, and still maintain an Excellent rating at the performance reviews.

ConsI don't have any cons to discuss at the moment but I am still not convinced about the Performance Review changes for 2014. We will get a better understanding by September 2014.

Global Alliance Manager

Global Alliance Manager (Former Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsGreat company and culture, ability to work cross group and get close to product groups . I was able to create the job I would like !

ConsWorking for Microsoft Corporation but with the status "Regional Guest Employee" in another subsidiary, my compensation and advancement stalled during my international assignment !

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going on innovation. Increase mobility across subsidiaries and divisions. Ensure Corporate Employee experience is recognised at the subsidiary level. You have a lot of innovations you should take to market faster !

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Microsoft review

Business Program Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsPlenty of upside with new leadership

ConsChanging the culture will take some time

Must overcome challenges

Business Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsLots of opportunities to move around in the company to try new things. There are good innovative teams and pace of innovation is getting better.

ConsAt a certain level things get too political - simple decisions take forever

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a mechanism of doing internal audits about what is being developed, how money is being spent.

Excellent Place to work

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsGreat Benefits, Work-Life Balance and Compensation

ConsLot of Politics in the workplace

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the middle-management and senior managers and directors who do not know the product or code.

Program Manager

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsGreat work / life balance.

ConsExpectations not always communicated clearly.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example.

A challenging role working with wonderful people.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsThe greatest pro of working at Microsoft is the wonderful people. I spend all day with fabulous coworkers and chose to spend my free time with a different group of Microsoft employees. I cannot say enough about the professional support as well as personal contacts I've found within Microsoft.

ConsCloudy vision for some areas. Satya Nadalla seems to have a cohesive vision for a unified Microsoft. There will be some growing pains, but well worth it.

Great place to do an internship

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) (Former Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsAmazing benefits, flexible work hours, great pay/compensation

ConsLarge corporation - lots of red tape at times.

Good experience so far for the most part.

Software Development Engineer (SDE) II (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsBig challenges. Big opportunity. Changing culture back to sprint mode.

ConsToo competitive. Too many middle managers and people in general wasting time.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove compensation to match newer companies. Many friends are leaving due to this.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!