Microsoft

3.6 7,032 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

7,032 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber"
    in 609 reviews
  • "Some smart people in pockets but not many of them great at politics so marginalized"
    in 845 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-Life balance can easily get out of whack if you don't actively manage expectations"
    in 443 reviews
  • "The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist"
    in 358 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great work environment

Human Resource Business Partner (Former Employee)
Mississauga, ON

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGreat working environment. Company supports and encourages future learning and development. Amazing culture

ConsLong hours on certain projects

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great culture.

Great co-op experience

Associate Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Mississauga, ON

I worked at Microsoft as an intern for less than a year

Pros-there are a lot of interns/co-ops so you get a friendly atmosphere
-a lot of autonomy
-challenging assignments

Cons-sometimes it's hard to get work when you're working with more qualified people

Advice to Senior Management-more feedback

Associate Business Analyst

Associate Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at Microsoft as an intern for more than a year

ProsLots of learning opportunities and chance to make a real impact on business

ConsSteep learning curve but that's the fun of it

Experience can be very different depending on the group

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt is important to not that at Microsoft, like most large companies your employment experience will vary greatly based on your group, team and direct manager.

Some very smart, creative people
huge range of jobs, roles and teams to keep you interested
good salary and great benefits
lots of opportunities to give back to the community

Conswork life balance? forget it
review system encourages backstabbing, cutthroat behaviour
frequent reorgs

great company, good benefits

I have been working at Microsoft

ProsI learned a lot during my time working here. Anyone who is looking for a great employer, this would be it.

ConsCons would have to be sitting at a desk all day. Although I saw it coming, it was very difficult year after year.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Underpaid, overworked, treated like crap

Product Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company itself is very good and provides good benefits and perks, including free products at certain times. At times the job involved playing XBOX and running fun workshops for kids. It's an excellent company to have on your resume, and there is some potential for using it as a springboard to a corporate position at Microsoft (although I cannot say how possible this really is).

ConsThe pay for the position was laughably low given the requirements and expectations, and significantly lower than Microsoft's major competition. Many staff were temps brought on from agencies, who were strung along for months with no idea if/when they would ever be awarded full-time positions. Store management varied between absent, incompetent, childish, and downright awful human beings, and poisoned the working environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the management team and replace them with people that understand the importance of creating a positive working environment. Stop hiring from Future Shop, Staples, Best Buy, etc. and source managers from stores that make customer service and atmosphere a priority: Microsoft retail should be treated as a boutique, not a big-box retail outlets, but management does not seem to understand this.

Pay your employees better. As in, enough to actually live on in Toronto. The pay is acceptable for a part-time position while one is a student, but is not enough to keep full-time employees from pursuing better options, particularly given that with the skill set Microsoft helps develop, they could likely earn 2-3X as much elsewhere.

garbage beyond ones imagining

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft

Pros- they know how to host parties

Cons- management is running in their own world while employees do their own business

Great work experience!

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt's a great company to work for and prestigious in many ways. The people who work here are some of the brightest, and also very well-rounded. Lots of opportunities if you are willing to create them and chase them.

ConsHigh pressure and always on the go. Mentoring and training isn't as well structured as it should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on employee development and training.

good

Tech Support Windows and Office (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for less than a year

Prostraining was ok i guess

Conslack of support for staff

Advice to Senior Managementdon't let call centers treat your tech staff so badly

Feeding from the fire hose...if you like that sort of thing.

Premier Field Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay and benefits. Opportunity for self-improvement is the best. If you are the type that likes to constantly learn, then jump on board, but it's a fire hose of information! Great managers and people to work with, but very high expectations, so be willing and ready to go overboard on delivery.

ConsTravel, travel, travel. A lot of internal processes that take time away from your primary job and don't seem to make sense to your job. Did I say travel?

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter onboarding processes instead of being thrown into the fire.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All 7,032 reviews are posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.