Microsoft

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.6 7,591 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber(in 688 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference(in 893 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance(in 476 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist(in 369 reviews)

7,591 Employee Reviews

Danger And Opportunity

Partner Sales (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsThey removed the peer review system but really it is still here
    Prestigious entry on your CV but need to find employment elsewhere (if desired) quickly as market catches up with reality of Microsoft today

ConsAll employees and departments need to be approached the same as a pit of vipers
    To have Trust in this building is childish
    and only those related to you by blood can be semi-trusted
    All equal under God is true here except God is the pay check, prize a promotion and equality defined as Anglo Saxon heritage and nodes of connections

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are shareholders please quit now
    Since that will not happen remember that what goes around comes around
    Anything else I say places me in the realm of fantasy

Great place for a navigator

Sales Professional (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsYou can actually get away with a straight 9:30-4:00 schedule if you know how to. Do not think it is all work here. Social aspects take precedence. You also have some dash trash and interns you can utilize. On the technology front Microsoft is still up to very important things. Satya recently expressed his opinion that we can be a three-pony trick. I believe it. good place to work

ConsPriorities change all the time and what was important yesterday is not important today. It is important to let others handle the pressure because otherwise you would go insane.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Leverage resources and contractors so we can focus on strategic work.

Awesome people, transforming company.

ProsCompany is drastically and rapidly changing the way it does things to become more agile.

ConsA lot of management layers makes it hard to get things done quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the fat.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Trying to be a top employer

Product Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsCares about the work and life balance of their employees

ConsToo many processes, layers. Leadership lacks visions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring talkers, hire more executioners at the top helm.

Positive

Marketing Intern (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsGreat company to have on your resume. Very supportive co-workers, lots of opportunity for growth, and always something exciting to work on.

ConsAt times I feel out of the loop on a lot of things, which makes it difficult to do my job. A few internal services don't always work, and some subscriptions literally took a year for me to receive (employee MSDN).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on keeping on. The company is heading in the right direction, the values are solid, just need to keep working at it and improve the little things.

Managers manage numbers not people

Account Executive (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsThe Money, the prestige. Sales employees are rewarded generously when this exceed their targets.

ConsManagers understand the Microsoft machine they don't have to have nor do they need to have ANY people skills to attain or be successful at their positions. As a new AE you are required to commit and sign to a number presented to you by your manager. You will receive no training on it's processes or it's products. You will be consistently asked and reviewed on you commitment to retire quota. Asking for help will be rebuked. You must understand Microsoft licensing and contracts to be successful at this position a requirement not listed in their Account Executive Career Opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementFormal licensing training must be completed by all prospective applicants before or within the first 60 days of employment. What tools are in place to ensure sales have what they need to have an opportunity to be successful.

Organized chaos sales environment, paniced stressed management...with good benefits.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsBenefits, access to training, current technology and gadgets always leading edge. Good name for a resume to move to another organization that embraces its employees. Flexible working hours...or more clearly - does 10+ hours a day no matter how you fit them in to your life a benefit?

ConsShould pay developers more as sales and marketing execution is terrible. Work/life balance is terrible...and although preached, no one admits that their annual salary needs to be divided by 14hr work day. If you aren't online, you aren't visible...if you aren't visible prepare for a 'discussion' with manager/ment.

Advice to Senior Management10+ yrs of pushing a work/life balance mantra is now embarrassing you. Unless you are willing to sacrifice good people for the sake of their families the exodus of sr/experienced people will leave.

Very good company to work for.

ProsBig company, iconic but small company feel

Conscomplex business to navigate at times

Software sales

Prosyou have everything to be successful and high degree of autonomy

Consaverage salary package compared to the competition

Good stable place; great for employees with family

Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsFlexible work schedule (goal driven)
    High percentage of people with family/kids, so it's normal to have to take time to attend family matters
    Pay a bit above industry average
    Huge company allows to change job/manager while remaining in the same company
    Recent review process revision was much needed

ConsFocus on delivering new features sometimes comes at the cost of strong development tools (bad IDE, manually modifying critical text files, long build times, etc)
    Still working on the "One Microsoft" goal
    Can be stressful at times, especially if you are on call

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!