Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com

Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally(in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season(in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to(in 64 reviews)

Worked in Framing Dept. and underpaid for skilled trade

ProsGood training and flexibility, fun team to work with.

ConsNo pay increase after 1 year of work, very elderly managment at the time was difficult to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow room for younger employees to move up at some point, pay the skilled workers for their skills in the framing trade.

Love the environment, hours, as well as co-workers

Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsFirst and foremost, they schedule you within your availability, which is awesome. Co-workers bring both joy and creativity out of you as you, as well as the environment itself.

ConsNot a lot of room for advancement, meaning the hard work you put into the store may not lead anywhere other than a good job. In addition to non-existent perks is another reason where Michael's can improve on.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the very least, bring up the benefits for those who work full time making only minimum wage. It sucks knowing that those who work with you have to resort to second jobs due to the lack of increase in pay or benefits.

work

Certified Custom Framer (Current Employee) Sherwood Park, AB

ProsThe people I work with are great. The company treats the staff pretty good.

ConsShort staffed a lot of the time

Advice to Senior ManagementNever ask your staff to do anything that you would not do yourself. Lead by example!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Middle mgmt

Middle Management (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsThe discount program. That's it!

ConsYou name it and it's a con to working at michaels.
    If you want to be treated poorly by customers, store managers, and the district manager then this is the place to be. Especially if you want to be treated badly while getting paid nothing!
    You are expected to work incredibly hard but management won't help in any shape or form and you will only hear negative feedback and that it is never good enough.
    WORST retail environment ever!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to listen to the whole team not just your managers cause they don't have a clue about anything unless it's happening in the office since they aren't the ones doing any actual work.

Unrealistic Goals

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe staff discount is great. But bringing in your own coupons is better. Benefits are available, but if you make a mistake, forget getting it fixed. Raises are available yearly, depending on your review.

ConsWork-Life Balance is unattainable. Job descriptions are constantly changing. Payroll is a nightmare. There is no room for sick days. Vacations make you short staffed and you cant reuse those hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider putting yourself in the trenches. Yearly tours are great, but they don't show you what it is like to be in your own employees shoes. Business is important, but unhappy, over-worked, stressed staff don't increase your scores on surveys!!

Michaels Arts and Crafts

Store Operations Manager (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsI have little to say in terms of pros regarding my time at Michaels. Stated company values are absolutely NOT adhered to in the trenches.

ConsThere are numerous challenges involved in working for Michaels. The main one is a lack of support for overworked and stressed managers. Working in retail management one expects to work far more than a 50 hour week and all holidays but having to take up the slack excessively leads to exhaustion and stress in excess of what one expects. We were facing a severe shortage of retail associates due to a diminishing pool of applicants. Managers were expected to work even longer hours but we were counseled for overtime pay. Promises of comp time just didn't occur. There were unrealistic flips of planograms and the high traffic aisle in the store with the DM calling late on a Friday afternoon, expecting a flip then calling the next morning to flip it all back. Michaels burns through managers like tinder. Turnover is VERY HIGH~

Advice to Senior ManagementGet organized and recognize your people for the talent and dedication they bring to the table. Live up to the principles you describe to the candidates during the hiring process. Walk the walk if you talk the talk.

It's a love hate thing

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

Pros-Working with some employees are amazing since many are super friendly
    -Headsets are great for new employees especially since you can use it to ask any questions you don't have the answer to
    -Good for students while stile in school, plus many people I worked with were my age and super young
    -They really recognize people for excellency in customer service
    -Often got free cupcakes
    -Customers are rude sometimes but at the same time you get to meet really awesome customers and learn all about their projects and what they're working on

Cons-I received practically NO training, I was left to tackle everything by myself and because of this, one of my co-workers had a superior complex and made me feel ridiculed and stupid for not knowing how to do things
    -Few hours and minimum pay
    -Understaffed, sometimes all sales associate had to work cash instead of being on the floor because it was so busy but no one was there to help customers so we got complaints!
    -Michaels was deceiving in their job ad. They advertised they were looking for full-time employees so when I was hired I was surprised they only hired part-time unless you have some kind of management position

Advice to Senior Management-Make sure you actually train your new employees, make sure they have full knowledge. Don't abandon them, this makes for poor management and low quality customer service
    -Maybe actually hire full-time or more employees

Great Environment, Satisfying Work, Undesirable Shift

Part Time Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) Hamilton, ON

Pros-Awesome coworkers and management.
    -Opportunities for promotions.
    -Fun environment.
    -The work isn't too bad.

Cons-5 A.M. shift for replenishment team (3 A.M. at some locations).
    -Fluctuating hours.
    -Hectic around the holidays, plus possibility of overnight shifts (we only had one though).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, but take into account that the replenishment team works the hardest in the store, so temper the expectations a bit.

Fine except for the managers

Cashier (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsYou get a discount on merchandise.

Cons- Managers were horrible
    - No hours available
    - Discounts are useless as you can use the coupons for much more savings like a regular customer
    - Expect you to do a million things at once (put customers through cash, customer service, answering the phone). It gets overwhelming.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier for cashiers to multi-task and train staff better on where products are. Don't yell at them when they don't know something.

Unhappy Experience

Cashier (Current Employee) Nanaimo, BC

Pros- Staff Discount
    - Different departments to work in
    - Free/Discounted classes

Cons- Very little training - I was put on cash alone on my second day and it was busy and very stressful
     - Poor management - Always unorganized - most of the managers didn't like each other
     - Advertisement for fulltime but they seem to hire more staff to keep them all part time
     - Uncontrolled gossip amongst staff members
     - Favoritism
     - Not friendly managers
     - Uncompetitive wages
     - They don't keep enough staff on when it is busy, all the employees the work the floor have to come and work the cash. Then there is no one to assist customers leading to complaints and unhappy customers

Advice to Senior Management- Better wages
    - Keep more fulltime staff
    - Don't be cheap and put more staff on schedule for when its busy. Even if there are some slow times this is just a chance to catch up on things
    - Spend more time with your employees, train them properly - HAPPY STAFF = HAPPY CUSTOMERS!

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!