Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated 30 October, 2014
Updated 30 October, 2014
2.9

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 83 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 73 reviews)

• If you are not a manager of a department or of the whole store, you will not be full time (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job for part time

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Improved employee discounts, nice co workers, creative environment, free classes

Cons

Minimal training, wearing unattractive vests, low hours, not living wage, too many rules, collecting emails

Email collecting annoys customers, slows checkout, too many rules

Not cultivating long term employees

Former Employee - Floral Designer and Sale in Fredericton, NB
    Former Employee - Floral Designer and Sale in Fredericton, NB

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like arts and craft. Loved the products

Cons

Worked there for two years and had three different managers. They did not empower me to learn anything. it was "do as your told" enviorment.

It is terrible for morale to whisk the manager away with no explanation and install a new one, again with no explanation. That is not how a team works.

Lots of stuff to learn, see and do

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Never get bored
    Learn a lot about crafts
    Learn a lot about merchandise and products

Cons

Lots of work to do
    Lots of freight
    Can be stressful when there's not a lot of staff

Keep the workload as simple as possible.

plain review

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

in my particular store, fellow employees are great to work with. being part-time is good for those working on side projects. pretty flexible hour depending on co-workers schedules.

Cons

in framing its a lot of responsibly for slightly above average pay. hours vary from not a lot (8-12hrs a week) to lots 18-30 during holiday season). your schedule is all over the place.

A good first job

Current Employee - Cashier in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Cashier in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Chance to be creative and work with a wide variety of products.
    See new products before anyone else

Cons

Confusing management
    No praise from manager
    Favouritism from heads of department and management
    Unclear goals and tasks
    Constant head office policy change

ASK employees opinions and concerns and LISTEN

Understaffed, terrible store management

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate Custom Framing Department in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers were great and I am still friends with many of them

Cons

Head office incentives are only there for the store's head manager, who chronically understaffed our store, asking employees to regularly work 12 hour shifts to make up the difference. This isn't going to be the case for every store, but watching that guy get a massive bonus for working us ragged was too much for me.

Customers were entitled and would demand impossible things and then be given freebies to keep them happy, so after getting reamed out by a customer for following company policy, you would then get reamed out by management for costing them money.

Working in the Framing Department, a few times I made sales that were several thousand dollars (my record being $5,000 on a single framing order) and never once received even a pat on the back or comment from management for making the sale. It was like it had never happened.

Consider the effect of management sales incentives on the hourly sales staff. Long hours, negligible benefits package and no recognition make for a terrible work environment.

Promote more from within. In the store where I worked, the highest you could climb was department manager, if you wanted to get into a salaried store manager position your best bet was to go to another company that did promote from within because they only hired those positions externally.

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

they sell really nice products

Cons

a bad employer to work with

Some of the managers were patronizing, older coworkers had little patience to help you as a newcomer

Former Employee - Cashier in Barrie, ON
    Former Employee - Cashier in Barrie, ON

I worked at Michaels Stores as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The younger staff were all very nice and helpful when you needed to ask a question or have floor staff find an item or code for you. walkie talkies help you keep in contact with managers and floor staff for any problems or inquiries.

Cons

When I first got the job one of the nicer managers apologized for helping me get the job. Some of the other staff also apologized for my employment as they fully disliked working there. One of the older staff members apologized on behalf of my main manager as she was rude and patronizing towards me over the headset (everyone can hear, it is embarrassing)The older staff and managers are very impatient and patronizing. There were very little hours given. They do not have enough staff on during the seasonal influx of customers. Managers are never to be found if you need them. Some managers can be rude to the customers. You have no training, you are just thrown on and expected to know everything. Hard to pay attention to customers when your manager is patronizing you over your walkie talkie.

Be nicer to the little people. Give newcomers at least an hour of training before putting them on the floor/cash so they don't feel so much pressure.

Love the environment, hours, as well as co-workers

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

First and foremost, they schedule you within your availability, which is awesome. Co-workers bring both joy and creativity out of you as you, as well as the environment itself.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement, meaning the hard work you put into the store may not lead anywhere other than a good job. In addition to non-existent perks is another reason where Michael's can improve on.

At the very least, bring up the benefits for those who work full time making only minimum wage. It sucks knowing that those who work with you have to resort to second jobs due to the lack of increase in pay or benefits.

Worked in Framing Dept. and underpaid for skilled trade

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Good training and flexibility, fun team to work with.

Cons

No pay increase after 1 year of work, very elderly managment at the time was difficult to work with.

Allow room for younger employees to move up at some point, pay the skilled workers for their skills in the framing trade.

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!