Michaels Stores

1,034 Reviews
2.9
1,034 Reviews

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 85 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 76 reviews)

• People who have been there nearly a decade still don't get full time (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

You have to start somewhere

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Ancaster, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Ancaster, ON

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a few very special employees, I met some great individuals and enjoyed my shifts with them. Also, as long as you're diligent and have some self pride in your work, it is easy to excel at Michales. Most of the products do not require expert knowledge, thus it is easy to learn enough about them quickly in order to answer customer questions and make suggestions.

Cons

Don't expect to get time off for anything, Michaels is unfortunately not very cooperative and/or understanding of other commitments such as school, and will most likely give you a hard time about any leave or time off you request, even if you only request 1 day a year. Also, unfortunately, at Michaels, your opinion really doesn't matter. if you agree upon working a certain number of hours each week, and specify your availability, the Michaels store manager will disregard it and schedule you in for hours that "need to be filled" regardless of whether or not you have specified a conflict prior or not. Also, a few individuals mostly in upper management directly at the store are unprofessional and poor leaders.

Consider your employees as human beings instead of machines to "fill hours" and be a little more cooperative regarding external commitments. Take a little more of the business mindset out of your mind and add in a little more humanity. Be realistic and put yourself in your employees' shoes. If you wouldn't schedule yourself in for 8 hour shifts 6 days in a row, with 1 day off and repeat, or you wouldn't schedule yourself in for a shift when you know you have a conflict with school, don't do it to others just "because you can". Happy employees means happy customers and the longevity of both.

Work at Michaels part time

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Windsor, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Windsor, ON

I have been working at Michaels Stores as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Most Management is very nice, helpful. Other employees are nice. Flexible schedule, Can check schedule online, request time off.

Cons

Very little training for cashiering, A new employee does not need the added stress of having to call for help every minute. Collecting emails is extremely annoying not only for the employee, but also the customer. Having to give it time after time is aggravating, especially for regular customers. Criticized when not enough emails are collected. Lots of elderly people do not have email. Criticized for speed. The things that Michaels sells are not easily bagged and take more time. Having to answer the phone when cashing out a customer is rude and annoying.

Maybe if there werent so many coupons, and people having trouble on their smart phones bringing them up on the website<the cashier would be faster!!! Have Michaels University available so the new employee can learn. More staff.
    Not so many signs for discounts, customers get confused.

Management a big problem

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cornwall, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cornwall, ON

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Discount on products.
    Products are great.
    Discovered new hobbies.
    Made friends.

Cons

Pay is bad, hours are bad, management hate each other. Disorganized. Don't care about customers. Understaffed. Training doesn't exist, you need to guess what your supposed to be doing. Expected to do a lot of tasks in a short space of time. Management moody and can be very unapproachable.

Train employees. Learn to get along with other managers/leaders.

Good job for part time

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Improved employee discounts, nice co workers, creative environment, free classes

Cons

Minimal training, wearing unattractive vests, low hours, not living wage, too many rules, collecting emails

Email collecting annoys customers, slows checkout, too many rules

Not cultivating long term employees

Former Employee - Floral Designer and Sale in Fredericton, NB
    Former Employee - Floral Designer and Sale in Fredericton, NB

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like arts and craft. Loved the products

Cons

Worked there for two years and had three different managers. They did not empower me to learn anything. it was "do as your told" enviorment.

It is terrible for morale to whisk the manager away with no explanation and install a new one, again with no explanation. That is not how a team works.

Lots of stuff to learn, see and do

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Never get bored
    Learn a lot about crafts
    Learn a lot about merchandise and products

Cons

Lots of work to do
    Lots of freight
    Can be stressful when there's not a lot of staff

Keep the workload as simple as possible.

plain review

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

in my particular store, fellow employees are great to work with. being part-time is good for those working on side projects. pretty flexible hour depending on co-workers schedules.

Cons

in framing its a lot of responsibly for slightly above average pay. hours vary from not a lot (8-12hrs a week) to lots 18-30 during holiday season). your schedule is all over the place.

A good first job

Current Employee - Cashier in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Cashier in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Chance to be creative and work with a wide variety of products.
    See new products before anyone else

Cons

Confusing management
    No praise from manager
    Favouritism from heads of department and management
    Unclear goals and tasks
    Constant head office policy change

ASK employees opinions and concerns and LISTEN

Understaffed, terrible store management

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate Custom Framing Department in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers were great and I am still friends with many of them

Cons

Head office incentives are only there for the store's head manager, who chronically understaffed our store, asking employees to regularly work 12 hour shifts to make up the difference. This isn't going to be the case for every store, but watching that guy get a massive bonus for working us ragged was too much for me.

Customers were entitled and would demand impossible things and then be given freebies to keep them happy, so after getting reamed out by a customer for following company policy, you would then get reamed out by management for costing them money.

Working in the Framing Department, a few times I made sales that were several thousand dollars (my record being $5,000 on a single framing order) and never once received even a pat on the back or comment from management for making the sale. It was like it had never happened.

Consider the effect of management sales incentives on the hourly sales staff. Long hours, negligible benefits package and no recognition make for a terrible work environment.

Promote more from within. In the store where I worked, the highest you could climb was department manager, if you wanted to get into a salaried store manager position your best bet was to go to another company that did promote from within because they only hired those positions externally.

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

they sell really nice products

Cons

a bad employer to work with

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!