Michaels Stores

Updated 21 September, 2014
Updated 21 September, 2014
2.8

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally (in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season (in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of stuff to learn, see and do

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Never get bored
    Learn a lot about crafts
    Learn a lot about merchandise and products

Cons

Lots of work to do
    Lots of freight
    Can be stressful when there's not a lot of staff

Keep the workload as simple as possible.

plain review

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

in my particular store, fellow employees are great to work with. being part-time is good for those working on side projects. pretty flexible hour depending on co-workers schedules.

Cons

in framing its a lot of responsibly for slightly above average pay. hours vary from not a lot (8-12hrs a week) to lots 18-30 during holiday season). your schedule is all over the place.

A good first job

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Cashier in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Chance to be creative and work with a wide variety of products.
    See new products before anyone else

Cons

Confusing management
    No praise from manager
    Favouritism from heads of department and management
    Unclear goals and tasks
    Constant head office policy change

ASK employees opinions and concerns and LISTEN

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Understaffed, terrible store management

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate Custom Framing Department  in  Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate Custom Framing Department in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers were great and I am still friends with many of them

Cons

Head office incentives are only there for the store's head manager, who chronically understaffed our store, asking employees to regularly work 12 hour shifts to make up the difference. This isn't going to be the case for every store, but watching that guy get a massive bonus for working us ragged was too much for me.

Customers were entitled and would demand impossible things and then be given freebies to keep them happy, so after getting reamed out by a customer for following company policy, you would then get reamed out by management for costing them money.

Working in the Framing Department, a few times I made sales that were several thousand dollars (my record being $5,000 on a single framing order) and never once received even a pat on the back or comment from management for making the sale. It was like it had never happened.

Consider the effect of management sales incentives on the hourly sales staff. Long hours, negligible benefits package and no recognition make for a terrible work environment.

Promote more from within. In the store where I worked, the highest you could climb was department manager, if you wanted to get into a salaried store manager position your best bet was to go to another company that did promote from within because they only hired those positions externally.

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

they sell really nice products

Cons

a bad employer to work with

Some of the managers were patronizing, older coworkers had little patience to help you as a newcomer

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Barrie, ON
    Former Employee - Cashier in Barrie, ON

I worked at Michaels Stores as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The younger staff were all very nice and helpful when you needed to ask a question or have floor staff find an item or code for you. walkie talkies help you keep in contact with managers and floor staff for any problems or inquiries.

Cons

When I first got the job one of the nicer managers apologized for helping me get the job. Some of the other staff also apologized for my employment as they fully disliked working there. One of the older staff members apologized on behalf of my main manager as she was rude and patronizing towards me over the headset (everyone can hear, it is embarrassing)The older staff and managers are very impatient and patronizing. There were very little hours given. They do not have enough staff on during the seasonal influx of customers. Managers are never to be found if you need them. Some managers can be rude to the customers. You have no training, you are just thrown on and expected to know everything. Hard to pay attention to customers when your manager is patronizing you over your walkie talkie.

Be nicer to the little people. Give newcomers at least an hour of training before putting them on the floor/cash so they don't feel so much pressure.

Middle mgmt

Former Employee - Middle Management  in  Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Calgary, AB

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The discount program. That's it!

Cons

You name it and it's a con to working at michaels.
    If you want to be treated poorly by customers, store managers, and the district manager then this is the place to be. Especially if you want to be treated badly while getting paid nothing!
    You are expected to work incredibly hard but management won't help in any shape or form and you will only hear negative feedback and that it is never good enough.
    WORST retail environment ever!

Learn to listen to the whole team not just your managers cause they don't have a clue about anything unless it's happening in the office since they aren't the ones doing any actual work.

Love the environment, hours, as well as co-workers

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate  in  Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

First and foremost, they schedule you within your availability, which is awesome. Co-workers bring both joy and creativity out of you as you, as well as the environment itself.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement, meaning the hard work you put into the store may not lead anywhere other than a good job. In addition to non-existent perks is another reason where Michael's can improve on.

At the very least, bring up the benefits for those who work full time making only minimum wage. It sucks knowing that those who work with you have to resort to second jobs due to the lack of increase in pay or benefits.

Worked in Framing Dept. and underpaid for skilled trade

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Good training and flexibility, fun team to work with.

Cons

No pay increase after 1 year of work, very elderly managment at the time was difficult to work with.

Allow room for younger employees to move up at some point, pay the skilled workers for their skills in the framing trade.

work

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer  in  Sherwood Park, AB
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Sherwood Park, AB

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I work with are great. The company treats the staff pretty good.

Cons

Short staffed a lot of the time

Never ask your staff to do anything that you would not do yourself. Lead by example!!

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!