Michaels Stores
www.michaels.com Irving, TX 5000+ Employees

Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Chuck Rubin

Pros:
  • "The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally"
    in 52 reviews
  • "if you love arts and crafts this job is perfect for you"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season"
    in 54 reviews
  • "Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to"
    in 53 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Only so-so

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

ProsThe hours are good, the job isn't difficult for someone who knows what they're doing, no customers to deal with in the early morning

ConsPerhaps it's just this store, I don't know because I don't have experience with any other stores in this chain, but they will hire anyone and everyone regardless of experience, especially it seems during the Christmas rush, then make us deal with the idiots. People who are not productive or anti-productive are not dealt with, they're allowed to come and go as they please, do what they please while the rest pick up their slack. There is too much favoritism going on, certain people are put up on huge pedestals who certainly don't deserve it. It pays to be a butt-kisser in this company. Hours are not handed out according to seniority but according to how much you're liked.

Disorganized roles leads to confused customers and tense environment

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsGood discount, enjoyed talking to customers about their creative pursuits.

ConsUnderstaffed, expected to perform at 200% with no training. Can't deliver proper service to customers because sales associates aren't given the tools to do so. Poor management with results that get blamed on the sales staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf sales staff are to effectively assist customers, they need way better training in where products are and which products are better for different purposes. Let staff members become experts in a smaller number of roles instead of having "sales" associates be responsible for cash duties, recovery and phones. Don't blame the sales associate when they can't reach your sales targets because they were on cash all shift and there are not enough cashiers scheduled. Also, I think it's time to try some different e-mail collection methods.

Friendly atmosphere with quick promotions

Cashier (Former Employee)
London, ON

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsHelpful staff made integration easy. Fast paced and never boring. Employee appreciation discounts and perks.

ConsLittle to no training, disorganized at times, often short-staffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training/help should be provided to employees. More staff working at a time needed and too many responsibilities for cashier working alone (answering all phone calls, cleaning, returns, serving long line of customers at the same time.)

Not a bad place to work.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 3 years

ProsInteresting, fulfilling, enjoyable, higher than minimum wage.

ConsHigh expectations, short staffing, and lazy coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate, and treat employees with respect.

Appalling

Part Time Replenishment Associate (Former Employee)
Hamilton, ON

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsMy replenishment team was great. We all worked very hard and got along well. Employee discount was very good as well.

ConsThis was quite honestly the worst part time job I ever held. I went into this position with hope, because I wanted a local job that I could walk or bike to. By mid-autumn favouritism became the way of the managers. If you played like them, for example, flinging sparkles at each other when stocking the Christmas picks, then you found yourself in the favoured crowd. The favoured crowd benefitted from more hours, week to week.

The worst for me was when I applied for another position within the store and the store manager and customer experience manager sat side by side, and as I answered questions the customer experience manager was rolling her eyes. I withdrew my application a few days later, after thinking about how it would be to have to work with someone like that.

I was planning on looking for new employment in March of 2014, but an opportunity arose so I gave my notice. Neither the store manager or customer experience manager spoke to me after that. On my last day, I said good morning to the customer experience manager and she walked right by me.

I have had plenty of experience with customer service having years of retail and more recently front line government and service positions. What I witnessed was so horrible I consider Michaels the black hole that was seven months of my life.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe managers together are like those mean girls in high school who corner you in the girls change room and tell you how lame you are. They all need to grow up and take some sensitivity training, or maybe stop sniffing the Scensicles.

Another corporation that cares only about profit, not people

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsStaff discount
Free classes
Lack of supervision
Can go as slow as you want
Lack of security cameras to monitor you

ConsUnderstaffed
Unrealistic expectations
A lot of product waste
Poor training
Low wages
Low hours
Email collection requirements
Management is impersonal and uncaring

Advice to Senior ManagementYou would have less turnover if you pretended to care about your staff. The way you staff your store is a joke.

Good store people but it ends there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Michaels Stores

ProsGreat people to work with . Customers on the whole are happy to be here to shop . Decent wage.

ConsPathetic training. Lot of hidden agenda. 45 hour work week good luck getting time for your breaks. Work six days per week for six weeks through till Xmas the they give you three back , crazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have no real
Competition in the Canada market. Actually get some real trainers to train,invest in your people , and be honest and tell the whole truth from the start not the cheap hidden agenda stuff that's currently going on.

Unsatisfied but not the worst out there

Certified Custom Framer (Current Employee)
Calgary, AB

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

ProsNice environment

Friendly coworkers

Pay is well above average for an entry-level job

Nice for students

ConsInconsistent scheduling without much advance notice. Some weeks I was scheduled for 6 hours, while the next I'd be scheduled for 30.

Very hard to transition into a full-time position. 90% of the staff is permanently stuck in part-time.

Training is sub-par.

Management is uncooperative and generally unwilling to work with the staff.

The store is consistently understaffed, often with only four or five employees to run the entire store. Incredibly long lines are common and customers are often left waiting for 10-20 minutes just to go through the checkout.

Often have to stay for 30-45 minutes after we're scheduled to leave because of the lack of scheduled employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule more employees and emphasize better training!

I worked at Micheals for four months

Replenishment Associate (Current Employee)
Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Proshours were good for me

Consno training, staff rude, when I entered the lunch room for break, two of the younger staff would look at floor and laugh, this happened often. I was treated like I had the plague by some staff backstabbing, no positive comments given by management only negative. I was told I didn't do a job and my immed supervisor had stood there and watched me do it.I put up with it for four months hoping it would get better but it got worse.

Advice to Senior Managementyou need better training, don't reprimand staff for things done wrong when training is lacking.there should be zero tolerance for bad behaviour. Supervsors need to realize to have happy employees you need a happy environment

Terrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat people to work with, fun products.

ConsUpper management doesn't ever tell the truth, they hardly ever promote from within, they hire managers from other retail stores that have no clue as to what Michaels is all about and then expect us to train them, they never have enough hours to get everything done, on a closing shift they schedule 3 or 4 people at the most to cover the entire store! Frame shop, cash, floor, recovery, customer service and they expect everything to be done on time and perfect. Managers are lazy and inexperienced!

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within, quit hiring Assistant managers from outside and give it to employees who have been there for years!

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michaels Stores reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Michaels Stores CEO Chuck Rubin . All 729 reviews are posted anonymously by Michaels Stores employees.