Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated 27 August, 2014
Updated 27 August, 2014

2.8

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally (in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season (in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Love the environment, hours, as well as co-workers

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate  in  Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

First and foremost, they schedule you within your availability, which is awesome. Co-workers bring both joy and creativity out of you as you, as well as the environment itself.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement, meaning the hard work you put into the store may not lead anywhere other than a good job. In addition to non-existent perks is another reason where Michael's can improve on.

At the very least, bring up the benefits for those who work full time making only minimum wage. It sucks knowing that those who work with you have to resort to second jobs due to the lack of increase in pay or benefits.

Some of the managers were patronizing, older coworkers had little patience to help you as a newcomer

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Barrie, ON
    Former Employee - Cashier in Barrie, ON

I worked at Michaels Stores as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The younger staff were all very nice and helpful when you needed to ask a question or have floor staff find an item or code for you. walkie talkies help you keep in contact with managers and floor staff for any problems or inquiries.

Cons

When I first got the job one of the nicer managers apologized for helping me get the job. Some of the other staff also apologized for my employment as they fully disliked working there. One of the older staff members apologized on behalf of my main manager as she was rude and patronizing towards me over the headset (everyone can hear, it is embarrassing)The older staff and managers are very impatient and patronizing. There were very little hours given. They do not have enough staff on during the seasonal influx of customers. Managers are never to be found if you need them. Some managers can be rude to the customers. You have no training, you are just thrown on and expected to know everything. Hard to pay attention to customers when your manager is patronizing you over your walkie talkie.

Be nicer to the little people. Give newcomers at least an hour of training before putting them on the floor/cash so they don't feel so much pressure.

Worked in Framing Dept. and underpaid for skilled trade

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Good training and flexibility, fun team to work with.

Cons

No pay increase after 1 year of work, very elderly managment at the time was difficult to work with.

Allow room for younger employees to move up at some point, pay the skilled workers for their skills in the framing trade.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Middle mgmt

Former Employee - Middle Management  in  Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Calgary, AB

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The discount program. That's it!

Cons

You name it and it's a con to working at michaels.
    If you want to be treated poorly by customers, store managers, and the district manager then this is the place to be. Especially if you want to be treated badly while getting paid nothing!
    You are expected to work incredibly hard but management won't help in any shape or form and you will only hear negative feedback and that it is never good enough.
    WORST retail environment ever!

Learn to listen to the whole team not just your managers cause they don't have a clue about anything unless it's happening in the office since they aren't the ones doing any actual work.

work

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer  in  Sherwood Park, AB
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Sherwood Park, AB

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I work with are great. The company treats the staff pretty good.

Cons

Short staffed a lot of the time

Never ask your staff to do anything that you would not do yourself. Lead by example!!

Unrealistic Goals

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff discount is great. But bringing in your own coupons is better. Benefits are available, but if you make a mistake, forget getting it fixed. Raises are available yearly, depending on your review.

Cons

Work-Life Balance is unattainable. Job descriptions are constantly changing. Payroll is a nightmare. There is no room for sick days. Vacations make you short staffed and you cant reuse those hours.

Consider putting yourself in the trenches. Yearly tours are great, but they don't show you what it is like to be in your own employees shoes. Business is important, but unhappy, over-worked, stressed staff don't increase your scores on surveys!!

Michaels Arts and Crafts

Former Employee - Store Operations Manager  in  Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Store Operations Manager in Calgary, AB

I worked at Michaels Stores for more than a year

Pros

I have little to say in terms of pros regarding my time at Michaels. Stated company values are absolutely NOT adhered to in the trenches.

Cons

There are numerous challenges involved in working for Michaels. The main one is a lack of support for overworked and stressed managers. Working in retail management one expects to work far more than a 50 hour week and all holidays but having to take up the slack excessively leads to exhaustion and stress in excess of what one expects. We were facing a severe shortage of retail associates due to a diminishing pool of applicants. Managers were expected to work even longer hours but we were counseled for overtime pay. Promises of comp time just didn't occur. There were unrealistic flips of planograms and the high traffic aisle in the store with the DM calling late on a Friday afternoon, expecting a flip then calling the next morning to flip it all back. Michaels burns through managers like tinder. Turnover is VERY HIGH~

Get organized and recognize your people for the talent and dedication they bring to the table. Live up to the principles you describe to the candidates during the hiring process. Walk the walk if you talk the talk.

It's a love hate thing

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Working with some employees are amazing since many are super friendly
    -Headsets are great for new employees especially since you can use it to ask any questions you don't have the answer to
    -Good for students while stile in school, plus many people I worked with were my age and super young
    -They really recognize people for excellency in customer service
    -Often got free cupcakes
    -Customers are rude sometimes but at the same time you get to meet really awesome customers and learn all about their projects and what they're working on

Cons

-I received practically NO training, I was left to tackle everything by myself and because of this, one of my co-workers had a superior complex and made me feel ridiculed and stupid for not knowing how to do things
    -Few hours and minimum pay
    -Understaffed, sometimes all sales associate had to work cash instead of being on the floor because it was so busy but no one was there to help customers so we got complaints!
    -Michaels was deceiving in their job ad. They advertised they were looking for full-time employees so when I was hired I was surprised they only hired part-time unless you have some kind of management position

-Make sure you actually train your new employees, make sure they have full knowledge. Don't abandon them, this makes for poor management and low quality customer service
    -Maybe actually hire full-time or more employees

Great Environment, Satisfying Work, Undesirable Shift

Former Employee - Part Time Replenishment Associate  in  Hamilton, ON
    Former Employee - Part Time Replenishment Associate in Hamilton, ON

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Awesome coworkers and management.
    -Opportunities for promotions.
    -Fun environment.
    -The work isn't too bad.

Cons

-5 A.M. shift for replenishment team (3 A.M. at some locations).
    -Fluctuating hours.
    -Hectic around the holidays, plus possibility of overnight shifts (we only had one though).

Keep up the good work, but take into account that the replenishment team works the hardest in the store, so temper the expectations a bit.

Fine except for the managers

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Cashier in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get a discount on merchandise.

Cons

- Managers were horrible
    - No hours available
    - Discounts are useless as you can use the coupons for much more savings like a regular customer
    - Expect you to do a million things at once (put customers through cash, customer service, answering the phone). It gets overwhelming.

Make it easier for cashiers to multi-task and train staff better on where products are. Don't yell at them when they don't know something.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!