Michaels Stores

1,146 Reviews
2.8
1,146 Reviews

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 85 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 76 reviews)

• People who have been there nearly a decade still don't get full time (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a love-hate relationship.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ancaster, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ancaster, ON

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dealing with the customers was usually pretty great. I loved most of my co-workers and got along great with all of them. I was even friends with most of my managers. The little things, day to day, were typically fun and made time pass quickly. I loved the opportunities I had to run craft demos and birthday parties.

Cons

Higher management has ludicrous expectations. There is not much recognition for doing good work. Asinine things like coupon policy and getting people's email addresses was prioritized far above good customer service. At its worst, Michaels is a case study in what makes retail jobs such awful experiences for most people.

Have some common sense. Prioritize customer service above efficiency, or at least consider them equally. And recognize how impossible it is for employees to just "sell more things" to meet a daily quota when you won't give them any motivation to do so. Positive reinforcement trumps negativity.

Alright, great learning if you enjoy different crafts

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I learned about so many different products and what different crafts are. ..... employee discount is nice too....

Cons

-EMAIL COLLECTING. PLEASE GET RID OF IT. IT IS POINTLESS AND OUTDATED TO PUT SO MUCH EMPHASIS ON EMAIL COLLECTING. Its a terrible experience for the customer and for the employee. You have 4 major things pulling against 'the importance of email collecting' - 1- Flyers, 2- Website provides the coupons, 3- they get a 20% discount if the customer does it THEMSELVES, 4- MICHAEL'S APP. Seriously, there is NO REASON, it doesn't create an account (which most customers think it does),. I hate having to push and push ("may we have it again?"). I got scolded by management I wasn't getting enough emails because customers were telling me NO. This is a variable I cannot control, I can't force it out of them. I have to make up fake emails just to keep up with the ridiculous quota of 25 %. PLEASE STOP PUTTING SO MUCH IMPORTANCE OF EMAIL COLLECTING ON THE EMPLOYEES. ITS A TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE FOR EVERYONE.

-Needs more Canadian-related products. It pains me to see books about "learn all 50 states!" or hearing the constant 'Americana paint is made right here in the USA!" .. literally no one cares. If we're not to have all your products then at the very least take some Canadian known products and sell those, so at least it shows you're making an effort to show that you care about having your company in a different country. INTEGRATION MY FRIENDS.

Stop living 10 years behind everyone else, email collecting in stores is A THING OF THE PAST. It is a terrible experience for everyone. As an employee and a customer, it is by far the most unpleasant thing about Michael's and ruins my experiences.

First Job

Former Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager in Ancaster, ON
    Former Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager in Ancaster, ON

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Some co-workers are great people.

Cons

Little pay, a ton more work for the money, little respect from upper management, poor upper management including poor time management, scheduling and interpersonal skills, and a thankless job

Learn how to manage people as people and not machines and give credit for a job well done.

Frustrated.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Staff discount, interesting merchandise, some of the other sales associates were great

Cons

The few months that I worked at Michaels were the most unhappy months of my life. My friends and family always knew that it was a day that I had a shift at the store because I was irritable, quiet, and just generally unpleasant to be around. It is the worst retail environment that I have worked in. I kept hoping that it would improve, but it simply kept getting worse. I'm a pretty happy-go-lucky person, so it was strange that I just couldn't like this place.

Your success as an employee boils down to two numbers: your transaction time and email collection. You have little control over both of these, and the rest of your efforts go unnoticed. As a cashier you are expected to multitask to the point that it ruins the customer service experience. For example, if you are in the middle of a conversation with a customer that you are ringing through, and the phone rings, you must interrupt your conversation to answer the phone. It is extremely rude.

Managers would "sit me down" after the new stats would come out and let me know that I was doing a terrible job. I always felt them peering over my shoulder as I worked, which is not a healthy environment to be working it. Being micromanaged because I couldn't be trusted to work on my own was extremely frustrating.

Also, customers hate giving their email address multiple times, especially if they are frequent shoppers, as giving it multiple times doesn't seem to benefit them in any way. So having customers angry with you just makes it that much worse.

Finally, training for the job is very poor. There is one 4 hour shift spent on a computer, and then you are expected to know what you are doing. Getting in trouble for not knowing what to do/where things are seems a bit harsh...

Consider a better training program. Take the new staff members on a "tour" of the store: overview of product locations, fire exits, back room, phones, etc. Simply reading info off of a computer screen is a waste of time.

Stop email collection, or implement a better customer loyalty program. The current system is outdated and annoys both the associates and the customers.

I worked as an FES and custom framer in the few years I was with the company.

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Easy to change your availability, taking time off is simple, employee discount is pretty decent, free classes

Cons

Rarely is there a sale associate on the floor during peak hours, very little training, poor management,

Michaels

Current Employee - Michaels in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Michaels in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

A lot to learn and fun items

Cons

Alot of work and stress

Listen

Madhouse

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I met some really great people who I am still friends with to this day.

Cons

They pit their employees against each other to prove to management who really 'deserves' to stay there. They cut peoples hours down to nothing and there is rarely anyone on the floor, which is frustrating for customers. Everything is overpriced.

You have to start somewhere

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Ancaster, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Ancaster, ON

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are a few very special employees, I met some great individuals and enjoyed my shifts with them. Also, as long as you're diligent and have some self pride in your work, it is easy to excel at Michales. Most of the products do not require expert knowledge, thus it is easy to learn enough about them quickly in order to answer customer questions and make suggestions.

Cons

Don't expect to get time off for anything, Michaels is unfortunately not very cooperative and/or understanding of other commitments such as school, and will most likely give you a hard time about any leave or time off you request, even if you only request 1 day a year. Also, unfortunately, at Michaels, your opinion really doesn't matter. if you agree upon working a certain number of hours each week, and specify your availability, the Michaels store manager will disregard it and schedule you in for hours that "need to be filled" regardless of whether or not you have specified a conflict prior or not. Also, a few individuals mostly in upper management directly at the store are unprofessional and poor leaders.

Consider your employees as human beings instead of machines to "fill hours" and be a little more cooperative regarding external commitments. Take a little more of the business mindset out of your mind and add in a little more humanity. Be realistic and put yourself in your employees' shoes. If you wouldn't schedule yourself in for 8 hour shifts 6 days in a row, with 1 day off and repeat, or you wouldn't schedule yourself in for a shift when you know you have a conflict with school, don't do it to others just "because you can". Happy employees means happy customers and the longevity of both.

Work at Michaels part time

Current Contractor - Sales Associate/Cashier in Windsor, ON
    Current Contractor - Sales Associate/Cashier in Windsor, ON

I have been working at Michaels Stores as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Most Management is very nice, helpful. Other employees are nice. Flexible schedule, Can check schedule online, request time off.

Cons

Very little training for cashiering, A new employee does not need the added stress of having to call for help every minute. Collecting emails is extremely annoying not only for the employee, but also the customer. Having to give it time after time is aggravating, especially for regular customers. Criticized when not enough emails are collected. Lots of elderly people do not have email. Criticized for speed. The things that Michaels sells are not easily bagged and take more time. Having to answer the phone when cashing out a customer is rude and annoying.

Maybe if there werent so many coupons, and people having trouble on their smart phones bringing them up on the website<the cashier would be faster!!! Have Michaels University available so the new employee can learn. More staff.
    Not so many signs for discounts, customers get confused.

Short shifts, crap management, unprofessional management

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Other associates, learning new things, fast paced

Cons

Bending over backwards for rude people, email collection, management

Spend more time out of the frame shop and more time with your front end staff.
    Stop bullying people into being who you want them to be. Least creative workplace for supposedly being "where creativity happens".
    District Manager comes into the store and won't even blink at an associate.
    Very hostile environment at times. Not enough hours but still hiring new people.

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!