MetLife

MetLife Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian

Steven A. Kandarian

Pros:
  • "Flexible work arrangements and very good company for work life balance"
    in 89 reviews
  • "MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments"
    in 68 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lean work force, very aggressive timelines, work/life balance"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Lack of visibility to senior management as to who is doing the actual job"
    in 30 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall a Great Company

Closing Loan Coordinator (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits and corporate culture

ConsPulled out of mortgage industry

Opportunities to improve, but slow growth - CEO needs to stop importing ideas from outside and improve from within.

Investment Analyst (Former Employee)
Morristown, NJ (US)

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company values, work/life balance, and opportunities to interface with the customers. Strong diversity and inclusion policies and opportunities to get involved in more than just your job. Many departments, some mobility across units. Decent resources and reasonable benefits. Hours are not bad, and friendly to family-focused individuals.

ConsPolitical end-of-year evaluations, slow promotions and salary growth, and unless you're part of the favored few, little clarity into management decisions. If you're critical to your position, may be difficult to move to another. Conservative, slow, consensus-style investments. Oftentimes will have people hired from outside above you instead of promoting from within which can be frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove the investment office from NJ to NYC or Jersey City - you'll get more of the candidates you seek. True up salary - your best people are leaving because you don't pay them similarly to competitors like AIG and Prudential.

Worklife balance is great

Investment Analyst (Current Employee)
Morristown, NJ (US)

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than a year

ProsWorklife balance, senior management exposure

ConsUncertainty due to regulations, career opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage switching departments

Excellent company

Claims Examiner (Current Employee)

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey give you the tools you need to get your job done

ConsThey should rework their compensation structure

Great Place to Work If you work hard!

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent corporate culture, and you're selling the best financial and insurance products in the world. There's a ton of support, and if you're willing to work hard, there are ways to stay head-above-water after the trial base salary wears off (which is like 6 months in). Residual income from a book of business is a very real possibility, which can start essentially being enough to live on after a dozen or so sales.

ConsThe job is almost exclusively commission, which can certainly be daunting. Met is also undergoing a bit of a philosophy change currently, so a lot of the old guard is changing, and this can be an intimidating time in anyone's career.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom my time there, the only "advice" I'd have for management is to keep up the good work. While I feel they could attempt to be more hands on with their new people, I don't know that they could do it without spreading themselves too thin.

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MetLife

ProsEthical company with great benefits.

ConsDifficult to make money in the first year.

Awesome

Multi-consultant, Different Products (Former Employee)
Tulsa, OK (US)

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments. When first coming to MetLife and also when changing departments, the training is wonderful. I worked with a lot of good people and most management is very good. My co-workers were very competitive, which makes you work harder to do the best you can.

ConsA management person (supervisor) can make it very difficult to want on their team when they are political, and chooses to work best with guys. In my 12 years years plus, I only had one that was this way. The remainder of management was idea.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing the supervisor, to a different department when they can't do the job, or the team doesn't like the supervisor, because of political differences.

You need to show them the door.

Good place to work

Summer Actuarial Intern (Current Employee)
Wilmington, DE (US)

I have been working at MetLife as an intern for less than a year

ProsLots of smart people to work with, growth opportunities if you're up for the challenge, competitive compensation, good reputation, positive financial outlook, worldwide presence

ConsThings move slowly due to the size of the company, politics in upper level management, sometimes projects lack a sense of direction

Advice to Senior ManagementProceed with initiatives faster

Ok

Annuity Post Issue Representative III (Former Employee)
Bloomfield, CT (US)

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLarge Insurance Company with great benefits

ConsNo training programs, the company did not value its employees or provide incentives to increase employee satisfaction

Company in decline.

Client Service Consultant (Current Employee)
West Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA large amount of vacation time/personal/sick days (if they let you take them).
Excellent benefits.
Managers are generally nice and want you to succeed.

ConsClient service is a very stressful environment.
Corporate has been implementing steps to micromanage at the expense of productivity.
Many changes in office locations and processes has lead to worker confusion and a reduction in morale.
Good benefits but low compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing systems so frequently. Place more trust between your employees and your supervisors and ease off the computer monitored/phone monitored micro-managing.

Worked for MetLife? Contribute to the Community!

MetLife Videos

MetLife – Why Work for Us?

As one of the world’s largest and most successful life insurance and financial services companies, MetLife makes a difference in the lives of over 90 million customers around the world who count on us to help them… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MetLife reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for MetLife CEO Steven A. Kandarian. All 800 reviews are posted anonymously by MetLife employees.