MetLife

3.1
1,027 Reviews

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • The work life balance is a plus; especially for working professionals with families (in 120 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Senior management inner circle that does not include front line management input or feedback (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing company. Low salaries, but easy hours. Like a family.

Former Employee - Actuarial Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Actuarial Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family environment, flexible hours, low attrition

Cons

tough to rise, lower salaries

Best management out there. Keep up the good work.

Positive learning experience

Former Employee - Office Administrative in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Office Administrative in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at MetLife part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, learned to work as a team.

Cons

Competitive nature and high turn over rate.

Decent, would work here again

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is amazing
    Great benefits
    Some nice people
    volunteer/community work is superb
    love the brand

Cons

It's becoming more men and less women.
    Hard to get promoted
    Once you are put in a job bucket you tend to stay there.

Give folks a chance to prove themselves. If they can handle the work, reward them with a promotion. Also, there are some lazy managers out there making their direct reports do their grunt work for them. Weed these folks out and reward the often overlooked employees.

Job Review

Current Employee - Director in Somerset, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Somerset, NJ (US)

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good People to work with

Cons

Lot of jobs moving south

Change is underway but still needs to be managed

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The change that the Global Technology Organization is going through is tremendous, and so are the opportunities to do great things. I think the leadership really wants MetLife in Raleigh to become an employer of choice for the area, and they certainly have the potential and momentum to do so.

Cons

Where I think they are missing the mark is in providing those opportunities that will differentiate MetLife from all the other IT shops in the area... to make it a destination company as opposed to a stepping stone. Right now, employees are working long hours without any insight into future career paths or avenues move up the chain. Until that happens, MetLife will continue to be just another IT shop.

While the current development planning is underway, there really doesn't seem to be any visibility to what jobs are available in Raleigh. Our current recruiting is not very good for external candidates or internal candidates. I can apply for an open position, but I never hear anything from anyone, so I don't know if I'm even being considered. We still have a lot of work to do and a long way to go before we can consider ourselves a best in class company.

Contract Coordinator work with IBM to consolidate MetLife's Data Centers defining services offering

Current Employee - Project Coordinator Project Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator Project Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at MetLife full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good pay, solid company good working culture

Cons

New global company very segmented

The people at Metlife made the difference

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at MetLife as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The individuals I met at Metlife were exceptional in terms of kindness and support.
    The work itself was like any company, but 2013-2014 they were making real efforts to improve processes in an organized plan way.

Cons

Some people I know advanced slowly or not at all even thought they worked hard. I think it was more a factor of the department and budget rather than a reflection of the indivdual or company. Simply work is competitve.

Try to promote creative idea think tanks like Kaizen.

Really enjoyed the internship.

Current Employee - Design Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Design Intern in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MetLife as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, Great city view, and Great people.

Cons

MetLife doesn't sponsor internationals.
    Little bit boaring

Working for one of the best US companies.

Former Employee - Manager Finance in Bridgewater, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Manager Finance in Bridgewater, NJ (US)

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary is very good, benefits are great and training opportunities are always available.

Cons

The very fast paced expansion and amount of change needs to be handled better by providing transparent and timely communication to all affected parties.

Job environment differs by department; performance review process results in low morale.

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Continuous challenges, interesting work, good people. They do allow some employees to telecommute a few days a week. Good student actuarial program and I've heard there are excellent opportunities for actuaries.

Training programs vary by area. Some programs have formal classroom training, some offer mentors, some do on-the- job training. Make sure the training program matches your learning style.

Political and cultural environments vary by department. Some departments have reputations as being very competitive and political while others are very supportive. I would ask an interviewer to describe the areas 5 biggest weaknesses and 5 biggest strengths to ascertain the work environment.

Managerial knowledge and background also varies by area. Some areas are newly formed and don't have a lot of depth of knowledge at the low-mid managerial level. These areas act more "entrepreneurial". Other areas have significant depth and can offer greater management support to employees but their policies and processes are more rigid.

Cons

Performance review system is a forced distribution system which requires a certain percentage of employees to be labeled "unsatisfactory"regardless of their actual job performance. (Employees compete with their peers of the same salary grade/department and are placed in a bell curve for salary and bonus purposes.) This system leads to low morale and can inhibit an employees ability to find another job. Final reviews are done in Feb and bonuses are given out in March. Even employees with good final reviews dislike this process because most of us have friends who undeservedly receive an "unsatisfactory" in their review. Managers can't really tell them how to improve their performance because they met the requirements of their job. (And often did more than was required because you have to work so much to get your work done.) This system causes low morale for everyone. In fact, many of us have stopped recommending Met as an employer due to the performance review system.

Regardless of your performance rating, annual salary increases typically range from 0%-3%, even if you are promoted up a career ladder. Increases are currently applied April 1 of each year. The employees cost for their benefits usually increases at a higher rate each year. Once hired you will not see significant salary increases unless you move into management, are in sales or in the student actuarial program.

Poor work-life balance: there is often too much work to be done to take a vacation and many people end up working during their vacations or lose their PTO days. Employees that refuse to work all the time will typically have a poor performance review.

Constant, significant change every 3-5 years. If you can't deal with regular change then this is not the best environment for you.

The performance review system needs to be updated to reflect an employee's actual job performance. If you want to use a bell curve for salary and bonus increases then just tell us where we fell on the curve but our "label" should reflect our actual job performance.

If a department regularly has most employees working more than 40-45 hrs per week, then you need to increase headcount in those departments.