Medtronic Reviews

Updated 17 September, 2014
3.6

Medtronic Chairman and CEO Omar S. Ishrak
Omar S. Ishrak

Pros
  • The work-life balance is manageable across most functions and the compensation is competitive (in 36 reviews)

• Great benefits with one of the best overall retirement packages of any Fortune 500 company (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • To much no work life balance needed additional money for training patients (in 29 reviews)

• upper management chooses downsizing staff as means for cost cutting (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

I have been working at Medtronic

Pros

Good pay, amazing colleagues, great personal growth

Cons

Now work life balance at all

It's a big company now...

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Medtronic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The two major plusses: 1) I am so grateful to be able to work in the medical device industry and have a part in improving people's lives, and 2) really good benefits.

Cons

Over the last 10 years, Medtronic has made the shift from a fast growing, small company with an emphasis on valuing their employees to a slow growing, international, bureaucratic big company interested primarily in the bottom line. Being a big company, you will find a wide varieties of workplace sub-cultures, some good, some not so good. Where I work, there is significant distrust between employees and most levels of management. This is the result, in part, of many years of layoffs, initiatives to "level" employees (demote those that are not performing, or invite them to leave), loss of unused vacation time (it's not paid out - it's lost), a huge increase in off-shoring (remember all those layoffs? Guess who got the jobs?), and more. I've experienced 5 years of 50-60 hour work weeks with no tangible benefit (except, perhaps, being able to keep my job). I have had requests for vacation denied, as well as requests for training. In 25+ years of employment, this is the worst employer for both work/life balance and supporting employee training. This is not the same company it was 10 years ago...

Act as if your employees matter. Align word & deed with the stated company value of work/life balance.

Inanely Inefficient

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I have been working at Medtronic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good salary and good benefits.

Cons

This place is a model of inefficiency and a real challenge to anyone who has an ambitious spirit. Everyday I work there it's like being forced to handle hay with a shovel although I know pitchforks are widely available and would increase efficiency like 1000%.

Due to the high level of inefficiency, I am surprised anything ever gets done. Nobody knows anything and everybody seems to be doing their assigned task for the first time, because they learned nothing the last time the task was done. Most questions are answered with "I don't know" and a shrug, even from people who have been there for years.

It's mind-numbing and I'm planning a very hasty exit.

Try telling the truth in the job interview. If you an hiring an engineer to do the tasks of a secretary or administrative assistant, be honest about it. You'd probably find a mediocre engineer who is only interested in the salary and will stay forever, instead of the ambitious overqualified ones who keep walking out the door.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Variation and instability with in the organization

I have been working at Medtronic

Pros

Great people who are kind, passionate and skilled to perform the work they are asked to.

Cons

Not enough help, lots of pressure to execute tasks and get things done at the expense of work life balance consistently.

Overstaff to make improvements, then have some cutbacks. Not cutbacks and continual unbalanced lives of employees.

Good company to learn from

Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer  in  Santa Rosa, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Santa Rosa, CA (US)

I worked at Medtronic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Reasonably well-compensated for Sonoma County.

Cons

Unorganized, inexperienced leadership, no mentoring system

Overall great, a lot of very bright people, good focus on a mission, host of interesting projects

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Medtronic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will likely work with a lot of bright people, a lot of great opportunities for interesting projects if you are in the right field

Cons

Like anywhere, some middle managers where it is really hard to identify their value-add. The company can be pence wise/pound foolish at times, throwing millions at a project that gets hyped to the point of being funded in a major way, only to be cancelled a couple of years later, while much more modest, straightforward projects with budget of 100K or less get ignored even though their value is straightforward.

Focus on high-ROI, smaller projects. Ramp up high-cost, new programs more slowly to prove viability. Focus a bit less on acquisitions and more on growing and preserving the business you have-integrating all of these acquisitions have a huge cost associated with them.

Good While It Lasted

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Medtronic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Use to be a very good place to work.

Cons

Too much emphasis on the stock price.

Grow your employees not your stock price.

My experience over the last 6 years has been a very positive experience.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Medtronic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very innovative and provides services that help others improve their lives every day!

Cons

Not much opportunity to advance within the company although it is heavily promoted.

To allow stellar employees the opportunity to advance into different areas of the business. Communication is lacking and only disbursed down on the 11th hour. Would be better to be pro-active rather than re-active.

Good company to work with

Current Employee - R&D Engineer  in  Maastricht (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - R&D Engineer in Maastricht (Netherlands)

I have been working at Medtronic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good work-life balance and challenging work everyday
    good customer interactions

Cons

very bureaucratic
    matrix organization is time consuming

need to get better in innovation

Great company but so much red tape.....

Current Employee - Sales Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Territory Manager

I have been working at Medtronic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great culture
    well respected thruout industry

Cons

so much red tape to get anything done
    slow processes

Worked for Medtronic? Contribute to the Community!