Medtronic

Medtronic Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Medtronic Chairman and CEO Omar S. Ishrak

Omar S. Ishrak

Pros
  • The work-life balance is manageable across most functions and the compensation is competitive(in 36 reviews)

• Great benefits with one of the best overall retirement packages of any Fortune 500 company(in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • To much no work life balance needed additional money for training patients(in 29 reviews)

• upper management chooses downsizing staff as means for cost cutting(in 27 reviews)

Worse than some; better than most

Patient Support Specialist (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsIt's rare that you're the smartest person in the room. There are a lot of really driven people who work here; so it's easier to trust to team mates when it comes to getting a project done.

ConsSome Senior Directors have gotten where they are thanks to socializing & politicking much more than performance. Directors/VPs need to listen to the people who are in the weeds talking to patients/clients. There is some good wisdom for future decision-making to be had from listening to honest feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your teams to accomplish the tasks set before them. We're all Team Medtronic; we're all pulling for the success of Medtronic.

Global Leader of Medical Device industry

ProsMedtronic Mission truly is alive and well. In almost no other companies will you get the opportunity to play an active role in "Restoring People to Full Life". Current CEO is brilliant and understands the importance of employee engagement. The recently announced covidien acquisition will be transformational and set the company on a continued course for success.

ConsFinancial commitments are paramount, as a result resources always go toward investing in Products vs infrastructure. Likewise 60 hour weeks are the norm in order to get the work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the focus on the mission

Good Company

Senior Supplier Engineer (Current Employee) Littleton, MA (US)

ProsGood company to work for number of benefits and this company supports your volunteer programs.

ConsManagement needs more training how to deal with conflicts.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo for Management conflicts classess

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My personal review for this company.

Electrical Engineer Technician (Current Employee) Northridge, CA (US)

ProsWell, is a good opportunity to learn and applied my knowledge.

ConsNot really, it is a good company.

Advice to Senior ManagementExcellent, good people, good professional people.

Challenging problems, talented workforce; tough culture

Senior Scientist (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsI get to work on some of the most challenging problems in biomedical engineering. These are generational challenges, equivalent in scale to sequencing the human genome.

ConsHighly regulated industry. Older employees are set in the medical device-centric view; not ready to embrace the changes that the software industry is ushering in.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet younger people on business development teams.

Great company

ProsThe mission of Medtronic is to restore health. Great work environment and great projects to work on. Fair salary and work life balance

ConsLots of change related to health care cost controls. Highly regulated environment working with the FDA can be really frustrating.

A great place to work with strong benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMedtronic has strong values that emphasizes customer focus among others. If you work hard and are willing to relocate, there are many opportunities to work around the world.

ConsLike most large organizations, it's difficult to weed out poor performing employees and worse, poor performing managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider expanding your development pipeline with more open and transparent discussion with high performing employees.

Great work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat benefits good environment and culture
    great team work is fun. I had the nice carrer oppurtunities that brought me good and better knowledge of my skills

Conspolitical, uppe rmanagement is the down side. Many on personal agendas for advancement. struggling to maintain the profit margin.

Advice to Senior Managementnothing

It was a Great Company, but now they only care about Numbers!

Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsBenefits are GREAT if you were hired directly. Great job on trimming down most things on the pump t/s guide.

ConsHave too many supervisors from the outside(helpline dept) who don't know the product or how to help you meet your stats. Company expects us to meet certain metrics and still maintain a certain quality range. Company no longer cares about the customers and more about meeting numbers. Have to work most holidays and now they are starting to MICRO-MANAGE too much. Certain supervisors talk too much how they hate the company and how their bosses suck. Morale in the helpline is at all time low. Now, if you don't meet quality metrics you will be booted out the door. Also, people coming into the company now have to wait at least year before they are converted over which creates a lot of resentment. Most of the contractors I know are already looking elsewhere and don't feel valued by the company. Pay could be a lot better for what they are expecting us to do!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't create a headache for the employees busting their butt. Instead, the people who are not pulling their weight should be let go, don't punish the entire department by setting ridiculous metrics. Also, we should get some slack from quality. Basically, if you miss one little thing you fail your call. Also, the t/s guides should be trimmed down on sensor. We are not appreciating the customer's time.
     It should get back to taking care of the customer and not so much about asking a bunch of questions that seem not to have any benefit to the customer. Also, most of the supervisors need to learn our job so they can expect us to meet the metrics and quality. You cannot expect the poor team leads to take calls, do projects, help us with questions, and expect us to get our metrics where they need to be. Lastly, why are we always out of pumps and supplies?
     The company could be so awesome, but now they are more concerned about money and not so much about the customer experience.

very bureaucratic

Supply Chain (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation is ok...not that competitive but overall benefit package is good.

ConsVery bureaucratic...lots of paper pushing. Fluff work that is non value added.

Worked for Medtronic? Contribute to the Community!