Media General Reviews

Updated 16 August, 2014

2.7

Media General President, CEO, and Director Marshall N. Morton
Marshall N. Morton

Pros
  • good pay and benefits, flexible schedules (in 3 reviews)

• Active TV news industry; Health Insurance Better than Average; Vacation Days; High (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Crying out to upper management for help produced no results (in 3 reviews)

• Still a newspaper, old school mindset to doing business that has been dead for at least 15 years (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

My experie4nce at Media General was great

I worked at Media General full-time

Pros

If you do what you are supposed to do for the most part they leave you alone & let you do your job

Cons

No cons. I really didn't have any problems while I was employed there

Upper management was very approachable. Mr. Bryan seemed to be able to call everyone by name & I really appreciated that.

Good people

Former Employee - Sales  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Media General as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Good company, Good people, forward thinking

Cons

print company, went thru some hard times,

Overall good experience in an unstable field.

Former Employee - News and Content Producer  in  Myrtle Beach, SC (US)
    Former Employee - News and Content Producer in Myrtle Beach, SC (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow and have new responsibilities
    Company is a well-known name in news field
    From what I remember, the benefits were decent

Cons

Furloughs and staff reductions (2008-2010)
    High-paid execs, but that seems to have been taken care of in the last couple of years
    It's not so much the company but the news field in general, overworked and underpaid employees

Recognize and appreciate what the people at each station do to keep the company going. Many people work around-the-clock, on holidays, and vacation for this career ... and are rarely compensated adequately. A little extra money, time off, or a pat on the back helps a lot.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not Employee-friendly

Former Employee - Reporter  in  Florence, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Reporter in Florence, SC (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There was room for creative license, a flexible schedule, relaxed newsroom environment

Cons

Low pay, no room for advancement, budget cuts that diminished the quality of the publication

Needs to consider allowing more employee input and funnel more profits into employee compensation rather than the bigwigs in Richmond. Also, publications need to be laid out in community newsrooms rather than central locations where copy editors have no connection to the community paper.

Behind the Times

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wear multiple hats, direct link to senior exectives

Cons

not enough staff for the work, horrible work-life-balance, laughable relationships between colleagues.

Employees are people, too. They can't counteract the deplorable state of your industry just cause you stomped your feet and told them, too.

Memo to Media General: It's the 21st Century Now.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than a year

Pros

My division was liquidated, so any pros experienced during my tenure are likely no longer existent there. It's possible, however, that the new owners of Media General (Berkshire Hathaway) are much more competent.

Cons

Poor handling of finances and a inability to respond to the 21st century's new media landscape contributed to the collapse of my division.

Hopefully, the new owners were able to honestly evaluate the weaknesses of this company and make better choices. (Berkshire Hathaway has many more resources, so I assume this is the case.)

Lots of opportunities as news employee. Lots of micromanaging

Current Employee - Photojournalist
    Current Employee - Photojournalist

I have been working at Media General full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I always had a fair amount of freedom. Do your job and you won't get bothered much. 3 weeks vacation after 3 years, 4 weeks after 10 years. You usually have what you need to work with, not much more. Pretty good benefits and PTO policy.

Cons

Lots of changes at the corporate level, not sure if good or bad at this point. Small raises. Typical news media company. Lots of decisions being made by people who may not understand them.

Corporate restructuring currently going on - so not sure how that will change things. Make more of an effort to retain good employees.

Good products terrible senior management

Former Employee - Broadcast and Interactive Sales Manager  in  Myrtle Beach, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Broadcast and Interactive Sales Manager in Myrtle Beach, SC (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Worked mostly on broadcast television and online side in sales as both an AE then management and they have valuable advertising products. They also value their clients and focus on service is good at the local level

Cons

Still a newspaper, old school mindset to doing business that has been dead for at least 15 years. Too much old guard in decision making roles

Invest in identifying and developing your local and general sales managers. As these people go so go your sales revenue. Additionally break down the walls between on air, creative, engineering and sales, crazy how little we were allowed to collaborate inter department.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Lake Norman of Catawba, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Lake Norman of Catawba, NC (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people. Good pay. Very good management. Loved working there. Wish I was still working there.

Cons

In sales the down side is always missing goals. But, the goals were pretty fair.

Happy with management

Career employee that left after seeing the same old mistakes and don't care attitude by Mgmt.

Former Employee - Engineering  in  Savannah, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering in Savannah, GA (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some of the stations did let their employees go early on holidays and had station parties.

Cons

pay is not the best, the management is terrible ( good old boys network alive and well ), people who were in tight with "movers and shakers" got key jobs that otherwise would never get even considered, lots of pressure to "produce" and watching consultants parade in and out of the stations giving them the same tired and unproductive advice and walking out with LOADS of cash

Quit worrying about YOUR pockets and start worrying about your employee's pockets. You worry about cost, yet your poor pay and conditions force employees to leave. You then hire a new person and they make mistakes and errors in learning that cost you MONEY.

Worked for Media General? Contribute to the Community!