Media General

Be The First To
Add Photos

Media General President, CEO, and Director Marshall N. Morton

Marshall N. Morton

Pros
  • good pay and benefits, flexible schedules(in 3 reviews)

• Active TV news industry; Health Insurance Better than Average; Vacation Days; High(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Crying out to upper management for help produced no results(in 3 reviews)

• Still a newspaper, old school mindset to doing business that has been dead for at least 15 years(in 5 reviews)

Ok Place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat boss to work for, promoted several times. Was able to work with the growing digital group.

ConsDownsizing, good ole boys (promote those who aren't qualified to find a space for them. Few female leaders. Terrible CEO

Advice to Senior ManagementTook too long to realize and make needed changes.

Locked in the movie "ground hog day"

Sales (Former Employee) Spartanburg, SC (US)

ProsHealth insurance, that's about it!

ConsCompanies lack of desire to move forward with the 21st century. Inability to have freedom to be creative with ads as client desires

Good the bad and the ugly

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsThe pay is ok, and they have air conditioning inside.

ConsIn sales you will be surrounded by snakes, more everyone will smile in your face and then bite you in the ass if you let your guard down. Also It is one of the places that when you start and a assistant then you will stay as one. The only way to move around to something new here is to leave.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Still too many self-interested middle managers counting till retirement. Incapable managers remain.

Web Developer (Former Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsGood place to learn for a short time, work on your skills and try to numb yourself to inevitable M.T. Suits which remain after new owners.

ConsCompany has such a history of mismanagement and indifference to employees that any manager with 10+ years would have to be removed and that isn't likely. Not a single word from any company rep or source could be trusted. Every encounter with management forced one into a defensive position -management very confrontational. Exhausting micro-management.

Advice to Senior ManagementUntil old management has reached their retirement or been ousted, little positive change can occur unless forced upon them by new owners.

okay to work there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood pay and benefits, flexible schedules

Consnot personal, not understanding, not caring

great field

Media (Current Employee) Pune (India)

Prosgood experiance in media field

Consnothing downside in media fieldq

Advice to Senior Managementno i m not intrested

Worst place I ever worked, bar none!

Account Executive (Former Employee) Columbus, GA (US)

ProsKnowledgeable and helpful co-workers who cared about the product. The product was a great one to sell. The compensation was very reasonable.

ConsManagers are inept as it gets. Good ole boy system alive and well in their linen suits. Upper management is absolutely clueless. Middle management is just trying to hang onto their jobs. While I was there, middle managers were partying with reps and handing accounts out to the girls they partied with. Upper management was receiving reports of Peyton Place and they would shoot the messenger. The place was so bad they bought a traffic system that was virtually unusable. No body bothered to check it out before this huge corporate purchase? Thousands upon Thousands of dollars lost in advertiser dollars because they could not figure the system out. Departments were not allowed to talk to other departments unless they went through Department heads. If this company makes it through the decade, color me surprised.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlready given and rejected. They prefer to ride this wagon till the wheels fall off.

A company in decline ... retrenching and holding fast to outdated business models

Online Editor (Former Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsCompensation is competitive in the market

ConsPlaying a losing game in today's media marketplace

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is more to news delivery than the paper that lands in the driveway and the news you put on TV based on your schedule ... get with the times

Don't go down with a sinking ship

Account Executive (Current Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsProduct at one time was great. Nice people to work with. could have been a lifelong career.

ConsManagement has no clue about changing times, the paper is not what it use to be.. They sit there and say we are the trib and advertisers need us. This company for years has been reactives as opposed to proactive. Through mismanagement from the top all the way down to the local sales managers has given the St. Pete Times the opportunity to take over the Tampa Bay market.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for new jobs because It's too late. This company will be shut down and the building and land will be sold. You handed over the market to the Times, hope you enjoye!

Brief but fun!

Web Developer (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsI worked briefly at a Media General station that was piloting hyperlocal social media. At the time, it was a very exciting and dynamic environment. There were a lot of talented and bright people that were very dedicated to this innovative project.

ConsMedia General corporate seemed very disconnected from individual properties (stations/papers) and thus seemed out of touch with what was and wasn't working with each one. Very strict IT policies on what can be installed makes it difficult to set up an effective web development enviroment.

Worked for Media General? Contribute to the Community!