McKesson

Updated 17 December, 2014
3.4

McKesson Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Hammergren
John H. Hammergren

Pros
  • They also support a work-life balance and provided flexibility for family/personal life (in 48 reviews)

• I was a work from home employee which was a desire of mine (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay, Work-life balance can be tough to achieve if you are a salaried employee (in 24 reviews)

• Upper management limits middle management from creating a functional work environment (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Working at McKesson

Former Employee - QA Analyst IV in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - QA Analyst IV in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at McKesson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros and Cons depend on where in the world you work. I worked in Seattle, WA, US it was overall good experience before they decided to close offices

Cons

Senior managers should not buy businesses only to close them a few years later...very shortsighted decision making...

Overall a good place to work.

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Greenville, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Greenville, TX (US)

I have been working at McKesson part-time (less than an year)

Pros

On the job training.
    Encouraged community service.

Cons

Some leaders could provide better leadership.
    Hourly wages could be better.

Medical coder

Current Employee - Medical Coder in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Medical Coder in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at McKesson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

No cons, great company to work for.

management and hr totalitarianism.

Former Employee - Technical Implementation Engineer
    Former Employee - Technical Implementation Engineer

I worked at McKesson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good salary is a smoke screen once in management will make you physically sick

Cons

Management is hostile to employees. There is no work life balance. Management is eliminating regular full time employees and hiring contractors. Management is eliminating the STAR and Horizon Product line.

Hospitals are leaving McKesson to go with the competition Epic or Cerner, and rightfully so.

McKesson is trying to implement Paragon as the solution, but that is going nowhere, since the sales are not there.

Management preaches the ICARE (integrity, customer centered, accountability, respect, and excellence) principle, but management DOES NOT adhere to them.

Very unhealthy place to work. You will be working long hours, nights, weekends, with NO thanks. And PTO is non existent. Management expects you to work during your time off.

Follow your own ICARE prinicples and treat employees with respect.

One Word – Underwhelming

Current Employee - Legal in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Legal in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at McKesson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is really hard to think of pro’s for this company since there is nothing that really stands out for me

Cons

This pertains to the legal department specifically. I have never seen so much lack of communication and collaboration among employees of the same department. If you are a ‘go getter’ and like to get work done this is not the place for you - stay away and learn from me. I wish someone would have told me this. If you like to navigate lots of politics and feel like you are twisting arms to get people to work with you, then this is your place! My team was cold and no one shared information with me. I really did try to like McKesson, but the culture, type of employees it attracts [don't think outside the box], and management style is just not my cup of tea!

Management needs to embrace change in culture. Break the mold, get employees to work together, communicate, collaborate, and give middle managers the authority or resources they need to better their team. The General Counsel needs to meet with each of its sub groups within legal and identify areas the General Counsel can assist with to better McKesson’s legal department. We are one team - act like it from the top!

Growing, growing...decentralized

Current Employee - Senior Level Director in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Level Director in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at McKesson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart growth plan; company is a giant and well managed

Cons

very decentralized; lack of equitable hiring for management; for world's largest health services company, very bad health benefits package

Start taking an oversight role in the BU's before their growing risks undermine the value and longevity of the Company as a whole

Program Manager

I have been working at McKesson

Pros

Breadth of product line and depth of impact to health system. Size of company gives it ability to offer great prices/terms to its customers. Company recognizes importance of field based employees and tries to promote synergy across sales teams. Benefits are good.

Cons

A very large company. Every March seems to offer layoffs/cutbacks to get the financial cost target management wants. Veteran McKesson employees are at an advantage in being considered for future opptys regardless of what mission statement says vs those from a newly acquired company. Personal Growth is entirely driven by individual as management does not have much to offer here.

Solid company, poor pay scale

Current Employee - Medical Coder
    Current Employee - Medical Coder

I have been working at McKesson full-time

Pros

Offers excellent PTO, however, must use by year-end or you lose it. Medical/dental/vision/RX small portion paid by employee. Education reimbursement offered. 401k partially matched. Management works well with employees to balance home/work hours, flexible.

Cons

The biggest CON would have to be McKesson' s salary policy. They pay their remote coders based on the location they live in, instead of experience or performance. EXTREMELY UNFAIR that a new coder can and does get paid more than a seasoned coder just because of the address!!

Informationall

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Decatur, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Decatur, GA (US)

I have been working at McKesson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are just starting to work good experience.

Cons

Good benefits, great company values, Management needs to improve and very hard to get a raise or promotion.

Try harder to get to know your employees not only the ones you be with after work.

Don't work here as a contractor.

Current Employee - AR/Collections Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - AR/Collections Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at McKesson as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Low stress, high-productivity environment. Nice people. Decent culture.

Cons

Full-fledged employees may have a different experience, but being a contractor is miserable. The miserly wages, the complete lack of benefits, PTO and other perks makes for a seriously raw deal. They say you can take overtime, but in practice you're strictly disallowed from doing so.

Oh and don't believe their promises to convert you to a permanent position. My predecessor was here for 18 months without an offer. He finally left once he realized this job was going nowhere.

If you absolutely MUST take a contractor position here, keep feelers out the whole time. You never know when you'll be out on your butt.

Pay your contractors more and adhere to a more strict time limit on the positions. If you're going to convert, convert. If you aren't, don't. But don't jerk people around like you do. It's disgraceful.

Also, for the love of god don't discuss how cheap and disposable contractors are in front of contractors. You should be ashamed of yourselves.