McKesson

Updated 26 November, 2014
3.4

McKesson Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Hammergren
John H. Hammergren

Pros
  • They also support a work-life balance and provided flexibility for family/personal life (in 48 reviews)

• I was a work from home employee which was a desire of mine (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay, Work-life balance can be tough to achieve if you are a salaried employee (in 24 reviews)

• Upper management limits middle management from creating a functional work environment (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Growing, growing...decentralized

Current Employee - Senior Level Director in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Level Director in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at McKesson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart growth plan; company is a giant and well managed

Cons

very decentralized; lack of equitable hiring for management; for world's largest health services company, very bad health benefits package

Start taking an oversight role in the BU's before their growing risks undermine the value and longevity of the Company as a whole

Pittsburgh Branch: My branch fought hard to keep our jobs during a time of mass outsourcing

Former Employee - Data Entry in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at McKesson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid-back environment, casual dress code, able to work independently, able to make my own schedule, did not have to deal with answering phones.

Cons

Low pay wages, could not request off the first and last week of each month, mass outsourcing, not many positions to move up to.

Good Company

I have been working at McKesson

Pros

Take charge and its a good company

Cons

None that I can think of

McKesson is a great place to work

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at McKesson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance, great culture, stability, good benefits and pay.

Cons

Sometimes overlooked for promotions once you are in.

MPT not a good place to work

Current Employee - Services in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Services in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at McKesson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Formerly this was a supportive inventive culture that encouraged new ideas allowing for growth.

Cons

Merger of Horizon and Paragon put worst leadership
    Possible in charge. Horizon is not the go forward product for a reason. So now that nasty culture and leadership is running the company in the ground. Where is Jim Pesce when we need him? His leadership team is nasty and clueless. We list some of our best and brightest in the layoff. You kept some of our worst performers making the rest of us work harder.

Clean leadership house. You kept the wrong people. The horizon way is why there product is not go forward EMR and customer base hates them. Wake up
    Or we all loose soon.

ok exp.

I have been working at McKesson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

stable co. with world wide offices for the individual looking to transfer from within. good web site which makes it easy to search for jobs.

Cons

quite large co., can't help but notice there is somewhat of a premium based on seniority. strong, talent young people may lose patience with slow ladder upward.

pay attention to young talent

Don't work here as a contractor.

Current Employee - AR/Collections Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - AR/Collections Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at McKesson as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Low stress, high-productivity environment. Nice people. Decent culture.

Cons

Full-fledged employees may have a different experience, but being a contractor is miserable. The miserly wages, the complete lack of benefits, PTO and other perks makes for a seriously raw deal. They say you can take overtime, but in practice you're strictly disallowed from doing so.

Oh and don't believe their promises to convert you to a permanent position. My predecessor was here for 18 months without an offer. He finally left once he realized this job was going nowhere.

If you absolutely MUST take a contractor position here, keep feelers out the whole time. You never know when you'll be out on your butt.

Pay your contractors more and adhere to a more strict time limit on the positions. If you're going to convert, convert. If you aren't, don't. But don't jerk people around like you do. It's disgraceful.

Also, for the love of god don't discuss how cheap and disposable contractors are in front of contractors. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Horrible employer, especially the Vancouver, WA office.

Current Employee - A/R Specialist in Vancouver, WA (US)
    Current Employee - A/R Specialist in Vancouver, WA (US)

I have been working at McKesson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Paid Time Off, Medical Benefits, Flexibility

Cons

Pay, Leadership, Poor office Moral

Upper management needs to be more respectful and knowledgable in the processes the staff does on a daily basis. They do not know how much time and effort payment posting, charge entry, A/R, credentialing, or refunds take. All you get for your hard work is more work to do. Employees who slack off get work taken away from them and it is handed to the hard working ones. They say that you can get tuition reimbursement, but it has never been approved. Even for employees who are seeking education in their current positions. There is not much that can be approved because of certain managers who will not think rationally. I will be leaving this company asap.

Many people that work in this office have second jobs and/or get help from state programs.

Healthcare company growing by leaps and bounds

I have been working at McKesson as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They have a lot of training available.
    Multiple locations so you can work in the city near you.
    Covers various areas of healthcare so you can find a fit for you.

Cons

No work life balance. Lot of overtime. Hires contractors instead of FTE to fill in. No resolutions to the problems. Blame put on budget, including changes that don't require money (process change). Lack of training and poor communication.

Work on issues and listen to your current staff instead of laying more process on them, without resources or training. Management is not in tune with staff.

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Order Filler in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Order Filler in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at McKesson part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay for type of work is much higher compared to other companies. The 401k match is comparable to other companies of this size

Cons

Hard work which should be expected. Several supervisors for small number of employees. Each supervisor has their own expectation for their reports which can lead to inequities.

Be consistent on policy enforcement. Make yourself more available to staff by being present in the work place. Assume that staff would rather meet with you in private instead of an open office with several other supervisors listening in on your conversation.