McKesson

McKesson Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

McKesson Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Hammergren

John H. Hammergren

Pros
  • They also support a work-life balance and provided flexibility for family/personal life(in 42 reviews)

• Very flexible and will allow you to work from home several days a week(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay, Work-life balance can be tough to achieve if you are a salaried employee(in 22 reviews)

• Upper management limits middle management from creating a functional work environment(in 28 reviews)

Great Opportunity Comes at a Price

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe chance to build your resume is the reason I stay. My team is made up of very intelligent engineers who don't mind taking the time to expand your knowledge base. New technologies are implemented all the time so you are constantly learning. Working from home is nice.

ConsCon #1 is Work/Life balance. There is none. I've worked in IT for long enough to know that you will work some weekends outside of being oncall but here it's 3/4 weekends a month, sometimes every weekend. You cannot make definitive plans with family or friends without taking PTO as projects will pop up week of and take up your entire Sat. Now some of that is due to staffing. Since I've been here McKesson has not gone a year without laying off 100's of people.

Interpersonal skills are not a focus with IT personnel and I get that but sometimes it becomes difficult to communicate effectively which sours morale.

Pay/Benefits are not great. 401K is only a 3% match and 50% for last 2%. For a Healthcare company their medical is nothing special. I've gauged my pay versus peers in my field and sites like salary.com and McKesson is between 10-20% lower than average and don't expect anything more than cost of living annually. I've made my case for a raise every year but I always get some excuse for how they can only give so many good/great/superior reviews and that drives your percentage increase. It's quite discouraging.

We are macro-managed and all be it fair better than micro lends itself to a disconnection between employee and management. Accolades are rarely given for great work as management is not involved in weekly or monthly activities.

Bad place to work

Material Handler (Current Employee) Winchester, VA (US)

ProsPlenty of OT all of which was mandatory unfortunately, promotions, and set days

ConsMandatory OT, mangers play favorites, poor pay

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with more respect.

good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work. good benefits and great people.

ConsNo room for growth, management tends to micro manage.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long term employee effected by reduction in staff has confidence in the company and its ability to refocus.

Senior Applications Support Analyst (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA (US)

ProsCompany is large and has a breadth of product which allows for opportunities to change roles and gain knowledge in many areas. There are great opportunities for success and longevity.

ConsIts strength is its challenge , Size. Decisions must pass through many layers leaving lower management with extremely limited decision making abilities. Currently, struggling in some areas with communication and balancing the consolidation of business units.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure not to forget about the actual employee. Lower management needs to stay connected to their teams and ensure groups are working together and communications are consistently distributed.

Was a great employer until 2 years ago

TeleHealth RN (Current Employee)

ProsGet to work at home with resources available via instant messaging for computer issues or clinical questions. Good pay and benefits.

ConsRecently there has been pressure from upper management to meet time metrics without fail. No consideration about the patient. And no consideration of the nurses individual contributions.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not expect that staff will meet the time metrics each and every month.

Excellent, Exciting

Staging Engineer (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA (US)

ProsI enjoyed working here. I would have loved to continue my career here.

ConsThe only "con" is that My contract expired .

Poor Management and will write you up if a mistake is made

Driver (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsGreat Benefits. Poor pay. Average equipment.

ConsManagement, minimal training, Over-time now that McKesson has purchased us. They want to cut overtime. I was trained for two days. This group flies by the seat of their pants.. The top manager loves to swear alot!

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the management out of Auburn WA. and use your own management in Wilsonville OR. Management in WA is a bunch of bullies!!!

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCan learn a lot there.

ConsLittle room for advancement there.

Great place to work

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Livonia, MI (US)

ProsCorporate driven, benefits are great, stock is doing well.

ConsNew training pram needs implemented

Great company

Help Desk Coordinator I (Current Employee) Skokie, IL (US)

ProsWork environment is good. Great benefits and pay. They believe in work-life balance have a lot of opportunities

ConsWorking offsite at another company so I don't always get the McKesson experience. Would like McKesson to visit or check in with their employees that are off site

Worked for McKesson? Contribute to the Community!