McKesson

McKesson Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

McKesson Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Hammergren

John H. Hammergren

Pros:
  • "Middle management was supportive and worked to have good work/life balance for employees"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Very flexible and will allow you to work from home several days a week"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Pay, Work-life balance can be tough to achieve if you are a salaried employee"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Upper management limits middle management from creating a functional work environment"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

NIce

I have been working at McKesson

ProsVery good peers, can learn a lot

Consi did not see any cons yet, its a good environment

Overworked - Underpaid

Field Service (Current Employee)

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSteady work. In this economy.. lets just say.. its a job

ConsMcKesson used to be a good company to work for, but over the last 5 years or so, they've taken away bonuses, pay increases are horrible and do not cover the increases in the rise of health insurance premiums.

If you're a lazy employee you have it made because management will do nothing to correct it. If you're a good employee expect to have to work twice as hard to make up for the lack of work by the lazy employee that management does nothing about.

No recognition, lack of decent salary increases, shedding of bonuses have lead to lack of incentive of many employees to "go that extra mile".. It just doesn't matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart showing appreciation to those employees that are doing the job. Stop ignoring those employees that don't do their job.

A place to spend your entire career with, without any stagnation.

Director (Current Employee)
Springfield, MO (US)

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMassive opportunities across all sectors of business and technology. Core values are real and expressed daily. Fair compensation. Focus on diversity and fairness throughout the corporation. A genuinely positive culture.

ConsOften to advance you are forced to move two one of the "headquarter" cities.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate and enforce a real, innovation/profit tension product development life-cycle. This can't be done from the grass roots (companies just to big, portfolio just to old), though the know-how to do this type of radical change exists down in the business units. Reach down, find the talent and loose them to forge a new era for McKesson.

Operations Supervisor

Operations Manager (Former Employee)
Memphis, TN (US)

I worked at McKesson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat company, good benefits, a lot of personal training opportunites. Great work hours and good balance of work versus family time. Company is also a Fortune 15 company.

ConsCompany has a high turnover rate for front line supervisors especially ones that are hired as external candidates. Company needs to work on its diversity demographics.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversity in its workforce and more diversity education/training.

Outstanding leadership opportunities and values innovation.

Finance Director (Current Employee)
Carrollton, TX (US)

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPeople, results focused, strong financial results, and career opportunities

ConsCompany is heading in the right direction, no real cons unless you do not want to be in a big business

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Answers calls/emails to assist clinical and IT personnel issues with 50+ hospital programs.

Helpdesk Analyst (Current Employee)
Skokie, IL (US)

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than a year

ProsNice people, Not stressful, Great Benefits.

ConsEmployee's are told that there is room to grow and excel but it's very political on who moves up and who does not.

Advice to Senior ManagementManager & Supervisor of the Helpdesk should be fired. They are both very unprofessional and talk about employee's behind their backs so everyone can hear. They will not fight for their employee's when there are issues. The Supervisor is on the internet ALL day, never trying to learn anything about the company and is always asking other people, who have been there shorter than him, what to do. He never tries to learn anything. The Manager makes horrible jokes and lies to his employee's about why they never get promoted.

Great Benefits and management team

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOutstanding Benefits across the board and training programs.

ConsAllow employees the opportunity to express there views related to improving procedures.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Rich Culture and Work Life Balance

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Jacksonville, FL (US)

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than a year

ProsVery large company with tons of positions and opportunities, you can literally move anywhere in the country if you are willing to do that job.

ConsVery large company, so there are always many inside applicant fighting for new job openings. Takes away from the extra foot up most inside applicants get because there are so many. HA. Lots of fun loving people that like to help and socailize and brainstorm.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay hands on!!

A fast paced job with decent pay.

Order Puller (Current Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at McKesson part-time for less than a year

ProsThe job is very fast paced, which makes the time go by fast. During training, trainers will go out there way to help you learn the job. Great pay for the job. It is a great part time job for those looking for extra income.

ConsThe company is really strict on attendance which is based on a point system. At Oklahoma City Distribution Center, the supervisors do not follow the Code of Ethnic. When employees report conflicts with other employees, there is usually retaliation by employees with seniority that goes unpunished.
Very high turn over.
There is a lot of mandatory over time, in which the full time employees work 2 hours over every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more the employees.

Lots of Potential - can be hard to reach

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat Benefits. Average Pay. Great Co-workers.

ConsCan be difficult to make moves. The Company is so large that it is easy to feel like a number. Constant re-organizations are horrible for morale and productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a strategy and stick with it.

Worked for McKesson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McKesson reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for McKesson CEO John H. Hammergren. All 451 reviews are posted anonymously by McKesson employees.