McKee Foods

Updated 11 July, 2014
Updated 11 July, 2014

3.9

Mike McKee

It was great for my first twenty years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Gentry, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gentry, AR (US)

Pros

They tend to do well in bad economic times. People will always buy cheap snack cakes.
    Stability, many long-term employees.
    Decent pay scale.

Cons

While OD McKee was alive, and while his sons were directly involved in the company, innovation was encouraged and praised. Once the third generation took over, OD's catchphrase "There's a better way. Let's find it!" has been quietly set aside.
    Nowadays, it's run just like any other heartless, clueless megacorporation, with the exception that (seriously) God is claimed to be its ultimate guiding force.

OD made that company what it is. Get back to encouraging and rewarding innovative thinking. Let the grandkids quit thinking like MBA's and get back to thinking like small business owners.

Family owned... people care about you

Current Employee - I/S Intern  in  Collegedale, TN (US)
    Current Employee - I/S Intern in Collegedale, TN (US)

Pros

Its a smaller place so its pretty friendly. Working in I/S is pretty chill for the most part. A lot of the full time employees are older and some are set in their ways, others are not (technologywise). There are quite a few interns that bring youth to the company. Decent pay for interns. Free little debbies all day.

Cons

Too many free little debbies. You'll get fat.
    They don't have many open positions for developers. Most people stay forever at McKee making it hard for new positions to open up.

Ok place to work but need alot of work far as communication between management!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Stuarts Draft, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stuarts Draft, VA (US)

Pros

time off, profit sharing bonus, good benefits

Cons

Management needs a major overhaul, and major cuts. Why on earth do we need so many supertindents! Too good to lay anybody off instead will just cut everybodys hours back while the big wigs still get a full paycheck. Just ain't right!!!!!!!!!!!

Work more on getting better equipment into the plants, and focus on cutting down on waste and lean more towards going green to save on costs! not cut back worker hours and keep making price increases to product. This is hurting are volume of cases!!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used To Be A Good Place To Work

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Stuarts Draft, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Stuarts Draft, VA (US)

Pros

They have a gym and dental and health (which they've decided we should pay more for so they don't have to)

Cons

I have to constantly tell them about broken or items that are in disrepair, those items get put on "pass down". Which sounds good but the next maintenance shift is just as understaffed as the last.
    We currently have two shifts that are floating among the plant on different shifts because there production lines are dissolved and sharing your line with the "floaters" means up to 2 people must go home everyday to save on efficiency . Employees are getting an average of 32 hours a week or less (depends upon your line). When we asked the vice president what the plan is for getting everybody working again the answer was "we hope to be in better shape in 10 years". which is a cop-out because vice president contracts are for 5 years(based upon work performance by Mike Mckee) Upper management has informed all of management that our plant needs to"clean house" (fire people) So there starting to implement new rules- off the cuff- to start the write up process on as many suckers as possible. The employees have several ideas to save the company lots and lots of money but management won't here it and instead feel its more necessary to take away everyone's job security by telling us the old "do more with less" attitude. Upper management keeps blaming the economy as well for slumped sales. We as employees realize that the economy plays a role but with gas prices and ingredient costs back down it is shameful not to pass those savings on to the customer. Simply by doing so volume sales would raise again. (how bout that , and I've never been to college).

Use common sense, offer incentives instead of threats. Listen to employees for advice in being more efficient, new product ideas, and keep the door open on your "open door policy". Stop keeping secrets from your hourly's. Oh and one more thing how bout deducting a percentage of your salary since we're all tapped out in the hourly department.
    Thanks for reading

Not easy to get information or resource needed to complete job assignment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Collegedale, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegedale, TN (US)

Pros

People are friendly. It is a family culture. Not too busy with your work. Not too many traveling or over work. Get a C day if work at the weekend.

Cons

Not enough resource to complete job assignment. Sometimes, need to be self-motivated to find works to do to satisfy myself.

A little open-minded management to share resources with your employees. Promote employees from inside which can motivate employees.

excellent place to work

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

Pros

The people are great, everyone is respected.

Cons

Some people are set in old ways, but I see things slowly changing.

Life long growth with a family owned company

Pros

Trust respect family values fullfilment of goals growth. This is a company with people value and core values to be the best

Cons

The business is changing all the time we need to react to promotion activity and new item introductions. look at competition closer

distributor incentives need to be more meaningful Fuel cards for incentives. New items need more promotions. Core items need to be run more often with deeper discounts

Terrific employer who places great emphasis on people.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

Competitive salary, profit sharing, competitive benefits, work environment that encourages growth and development, open forum for new ideas, family owned company

Cons

many decisions are still made anecdotally and are not fact based, current culture does not tolerate or adapt to change very well

Many tactics that contributed to getting us where we are today are still relevant. However, our industry is changing very rapidly, and we should evaluate every aspect of the way we do things to make sure our business model stays relevant. Look for opportunities to capitalize on our brand strength outside of our current product portfolio.

It is wonderful GOD has blessed me to have found a home

Current Employee - CMO  in  Collegedale, TN (US)
    Current Employee - CMO in Collegedale, TN (US)

Pros

They have been very good to me i get overtime and I put 2 kids through college with their help,I would never want to work anywhere else.The McKee's have been like family,I never been afraid to ask anything because the worst that can be said is no.I tell everybody how good they are and if stores don't carry our product I don't shop there.

Cons

The only thing I can say is we have ppl there that aren't bosses but sure think they we are all equal at Mckee's.

I wish they could back yrs ago and tell the ppl if they don't like working there instead of not doing there job,don't let the door hit them on the way out.

I have loved working at Mckee Foods.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Collegedale, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegedale, TN (US)

Pros

Good wages. Medical Benifits. Family owned and operated. Christian owned.

Cons

I can not think of any.

Worked for McKee Foods? Contribute to the Community!