McKee Foods

Updated Apr 03, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike McKee

Ok place to work but need alot of work far as communication between management!

Stuarts Draft, VA (US)

I have been working at McKee Foods

Prostime off, profit sharing bonus, good benefits

ConsManagement needs a major overhaul, and major cuts. Why on earth do we need so many supertindents! Too good to lay anybody off instead will just cut everybodys hours back while the big wigs still get a full paycheck. Just ain't right!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementWork more on getting better equipment into the plants, and focus on cutting down on waste and lean more towards going green to save on costs! not cut back worker hours and keep making price increases to product. This is hurting are volume of cases!!!!

Used To Be A Good Place To Work

Consultant (Current Employee)
Stuarts Draft, VA (US)

I have been working at McKee Foods

ProsThey have a gym and dental and health (which they've decided we should pay more for so they don't have to)

ConsI have to constantly tell them about broken or items that are in disrepair, those items get put on "pass down". Which sounds good but the next maintenance shift is just as understaffed as the last.
We currently have two shifts that are floating among the plant on different shifts because there production lines are dissolved and sharing your line with the "floaters" means up to 2 people must go home everyday to save on efficiency . Employees are getting an average of 32 hours a week or less (depends upon your line). When we asked the vice president what the plan is for getting everybody working again the answer was "we hope to be in better shape in 10 years". which is a cop-out because vice president contracts are for 5 years(based upon work performance by Mike Mckee) Upper management has informed all of management that our plant needs to"clean house" (fire people) So there starting to implement new rules- off the cuff- to start the write up process on as many suckers as possible. The employees have several ideas to save the company lots and lots of money but management won't here it and instead feel its more necessary to take away everyone's job security by telling us the old "do more with less" attitude. Upper management keeps blaming the economy as well for slumped sales. We as employees realize that the economy plays a role but with gas prices and ingredient costs back down it is shameful not to pass those savings on to the customer. Simply by doing so volume sales would raise again. (how bout that , and I've never been to college).

Advice to Senior ManagementUse common sense, offer incentives instead of threats. Listen to employees for advice in being more efficient, new product ideas, and keep the door open on your "open door policy". Stop keeping secrets from your hourly's. Oh and one more thing how bout deducting a percentage of your salary since we're all tapped out in the hourly department.
Thanks for reading

Not easy to get information or resource needed to complete job assignment

I have been working at McKee Foods

ProsPeople are friendly. It is a family culture. Not too busy with your work. Not too many traveling or over work. Get a C day if work at the weekend.

ConsNot enough resource to complete job assignment. Sometimes, need to be self-motivated to find works to do to satisfy myself.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little open-minded management to share resources with your employees. Promote employees from inside which can motivate employees.

Life long growth with a family owned company

I have been working at McKee Foods

ProsTrust respect family values fullfilment of goals growth. This is a company with people value and core values to be the best

ConsThe business is changing all the time we need to react to promotion activity and new item introductions. look at competition closer

Advice to Senior Managementdistributor incentives need to be more meaningful Fuel cards for incentives. New items need more promotions. Core items need to be run more often with deeper discounts

excellent place to work

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at McKee Foods

ProsThe people are great, everyone is respected.

ConsSome people are set in old ways, but I see things slowly changing.

Terrific employer who places great emphasis on people.

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at McKee Foods

ProsCompetitive salary, profit sharing, competitive benefits, work environment that encourages growth and development, open forum for new ideas, family owned company

Consmany decisions are still made anecdotally and are not fact based, current culture does not tolerate or adapt to change very well

Advice to Senior ManagementMany tactics that contributed to getting us where we are today are still relevant. However, our industry is changing very rapidly, and we should evaluate every aspect of the way we do things to make sure our business model stays relevant. Look for opportunities to capitalize on our brand strength outside of our current product portfolio.

It is wonderful GOD has blessed me to have found a home

Cmo (Current Employee)

I have been working at McKee Foods

ProsThey have been very good to me i get overtime and I put 2 kids through college with their help,I would never want to work anywhere else.The McKee's have been like family,I never been afraid to ask anything because the worst that can be said is no.I tell everybody how good they are and if stores don't carry our product I don't shop there.

ConsThe only thing I can say is we have ppl there that aren't bosses but sure think they we are all equal at Mckee's.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish they could back yrs ago and tell the ppl if they don't like working there instead of not doing there job,don't let the door hit them on the way out.

I have loved working at Mckee Foods.

I have been working at McKee Foods

ProsGood wages. Medical Benifits. Family owned and operated. Christian owned.

ConsI can not think of any.

Pretty good place to work.

Production Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at McKee Foods

ProsMckee has decent medical insurance. They also pay a fair wage. They are very health conscious. They provide a clinic and a health coach and also extra programs for health and fitness.

ConsSome lines have to work on Sundays, which I consider part of the weekend, A day to spend with family.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement wants your input on reducing waste...then they change the rules and Want you to waste product, without getting any input from the employees...Senior Management wants employees to train on different jobs...than the supervisors won't let anyone train on their line, because of labor, then when employees want time off...they can't have subs. With some of the lines being so slow and employees not getting their hours, this would be the best time to train.

A great place to work!

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at McKee Foods

ProsVery open with information. They want to hear what you have to say and are dedicated to making McKee a great place to work. Compensation and benefits are competitive. There is tremendous longevity among the workforce and an opportunity for advancement, if you are willing to stick around. The team is very open to diversity and variation in thinking. The family is actively involved in the business and has the competence to perform in the positions they hold.

ConsWhile the senior leaders have good intentions there are many great programs, processes and procedures developed but not being actively used and likewise, many dysfunctional programs, processes and procedures being used. Each division is a silo i.e. transportation, distribution, manufacturing and field sales and within each of those divided further within each. This causes the organization to often times work against itself.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the silos. Create one HR function, one IT function and etc. The confusion caused by the division in these functional areas causes employee dissatisfaction and the inability to get a straight answer- most often at the first line level.

Worked for McKee Foods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McKee Foods reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for McKee Foods CEO Mike McKee. All 21 reviews are posted anonymously by McKee Foods employees.