McKee Foods

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike McKee

It was great for my first twenty years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Gentry, AR (US)

ProsThey tend to do well in bad economic times. People will always buy cheap snack cakes.
    Stability, many long-term employees.
    Decent pay scale.

ConsWhile OD McKee was alive, and while his sons were directly involved in the company, innovation was encouraged and praised. Once the third generation took over, OD's catchphrase "There's a better way. Let's find it!" has been quietly set aside.
    Nowadays, it's run just like any other heartless, clueless megacorporation, with the exception that (seriously) God is claimed to be its ultimate guiding force.

Advice to Senior ManagementOD made that company what it is. Get back to encouraging and rewarding innovative thinking. Let the grandkids quit thinking like MBA's and get back to thinking like small business owners.

Family owned... people care about you

I/S Intern (Current Employee) Collegedale, TN (US)

ProsIts a smaller place so its pretty friendly. Working in I/S is pretty chill for the most part. A lot of the full time employees are older and some are set in their ways, others are not (technologywise). There are quite a few interns that bring youth to the company. Decent pay for interns. Free little debbies all day.

ConsToo many free little debbies. You'll get fat.
    They don't have many open positions for developers. Most people stay forever at McKee making it hard for new positions to open up.

Ok place to work but need alot of work far as communication between management!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stuarts Draft, VA (US)

Prostime off, profit sharing bonus, good benefits

ConsManagement needs a major overhaul, and major cuts. Why on earth do we need so many supertindents! Too good to lay anybody off instead will just cut everybodys hours back while the big wigs still get a full paycheck. Just ain't right!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementWork more on getting better equipment into the plants, and focus on cutting down on waste and lean more towards going green to save on costs! not cut back worker hours and keep making price increases to product. This is hurting are volume of cases!!!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used To Be A Good Place To Work

Consultant (Current Employee) Stuarts Draft, VA (US)

ProsThey have a gym and dental and health (which they've decided we should pay more for so they don't have to)

ConsI have to constantly tell them about broken or items that are in disrepair, those items get put on "pass down". Which sounds good but the next maintenance shift is just as understaffed as the last.
    We currently have two shifts that are floating among the plant on different shifts because there production lines are dissolved and sharing your line with the "floaters" means up to 2 people must go home everyday to save on efficiency . Employees are getting an average of 32 hours a week or less (depends upon your line). When we asked the vice president what the plan is for getting everybody working again the answer was "we hope to be in better shape in 10 years". which is a cop-out because vice president contracts are for 5 years(based upon work performance by Mike Mckee) Upper management has informed all of management that our plant needs to"clean house" (fire people) So there starting to implement new rules- off the cuff- to start the write up process on as many suckers as possible. The employees have several ideas to save the company lots and lots of money but management won't here it and instead feel its more necessary to take away everyone's job security by telling us the old "do more with less" attitude. Upper management keeps blaming the economy as well for slumped sales. We as employees realize that the economy plays a role but with gas prices and ingredient costs back down it is shameful not to pass those savings on to the customer. Simply by doing so volume sales would raise again. (how bout that , and I've never been to college).

Advice to Senior ManagementUse common sense, offer incentives instead of threats. Listen to employees for advice in being more efficient, new product ideas, and keep the door open on your "open door policy". Stop keeping secrets from your hourly's. Oh and one more thing how bout deducting a percentage of your salary since we're all tapped out in the hourly department.
    Thanks for reading

Not easy to get information or resource needed to complete job assignment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Collegedale, TN (US)

ProsPeople are friendly. It is a family culture. Not too busy with your work. Not too many traveling or over work. Get a C day if work at the weekend.

ConsNot enough resource to complete job assignment. Sometimes, need to be self-motivated to find works to do to satisfy myself.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little open-minded management to share resources with your employees. Promote employees from inside which can motivate employees.

Life long growth with a family owned company

ProsTrust respect family values fullfilment of goals growth. This is a company with people value and core values to be the best

ConsThe business is changing all the time we need to react to promotion activity and new item introductions. look at competition closer

Advice to Senior Managementdistributor incentives need to be more meaningful Fuel cards for incentives. New items need more promotions. Core items need to be run more often with deeper discounts

Terrific employer who places great emphasis on people.

Account Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsCompetitive salary, profit sharing, competitive benefits, work environment that encourages growth and development, open forum for new ideas, family owned company

Consmany decisions are still made anecdotally and are not fact based, current culture does not tolerate or adapt to change very well

Advice to Senior ManagementMany tactics that contributed to getting us where we are today are still relevant. However, our industry is changing very rapidly, and we should evaluate every aspect of the way we do things to make sure our business model stays relevant. Look for opportunities to capitalize on our brand strength outside of our current product portfolio.

It is wonderful GOD has blessed me to have found a home

CMO (Current Employee) Collegedale, TN (US)

ProsThey have been very good to me i get overtime and I put 2 kids through college with their help,I would never want to work anywhere else.The McKee's have been like family,I never been afraid to ask anything because the worst that can be said is no.I tell everybody how good they are and if stores don't carry our product I don't shop there.

ConsThe only thing I can say is we have ppl there that aren't bosses but sure think they we are all equal at Mckee's.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish they could back yrs ago and tell the ppl if they don't like working there instead of not doing there job,don't let the door hit them on the way out.

excellent place to work

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsThe people are great, everyone is respected.

ConsSome people are set in old ways, but I see things slowly changing.

I have loved working at Mckee Foods.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Collegedale, TN (US)

ProsGood wages. Medical Benifits. Family owned and operated. Christian owned.

ConsI can not think of any.

Worked for McKee Foods? Contribute to the Community!