McAfee

McAfee Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

McAfee President Michael DeCesare

Michael DeCesare

Pros
  • Promotes work-life balance - Remote work is often encouraged for FTEs (in 67 reviews)

• You have Flexible Working Hours - can come and go as you wish as long as work gets done (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor flexibility with respect to work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Some times senior management can be tricky trying to find scapegoats to escape from their mistakes (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Contract

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSupport good work / life balance.

ConsHave an ambiguous career trajectory.

A great place to work!

Interaction Designer (Former Employee) Beaverton, OR (US)

ProsIntelligent and respectful colleagues. Quarterly bonuses. Health, wellness, education reimbursement. Employee stock purchase plan.

ConsToo many product offerings is going to hurt the company. Some product managers are clueless.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider implementing Intel sabbatical plan.

Good company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Prosu get whatever u want in terms of work life balance

Consno hikes in terms of salary

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company. Good benefits.

ProsGreat people and benefits at McAfee.

ConsThe politics can be frustrating.

Great company with excellent technical core

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsCutting edge of security technologies and people that worked in engineering to deliver for both the customers and shareholders.

Consthere were some players in support management that practiced cronyism. This management was unseated by the executive team within six months of my departure and the relationships seem to be much better between support and engineering.

Good place to work for!

Systems Developer (Former Employee) Plano, TX (US)

ProsVery Good work atmosphere/culture. Good management. People in all the software departments are mostly friendly professionals.

ConsSome times senior management can be tricky trying to find scapegoats to escape from their mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead my Cons

Great

ProsGreat work, great team and culture

ConsNormal senior management
    Not so great office

take a job here if you are Unemployed!

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

ProsMcAfee is a company that offers free parking and free sodas to employees.

ConsMcAfee is a place to go to die or to go if you're unemployed--that was my excuse. The company is filled with "lifers" who have put in years and years. Quite uncommon in the valley so you should take this as a red flag! People managers have $0 budgets for development. In the entire time I have been here, not once have I attended a meeting (staff, extended staff, all-hands, etc.) that included a speaker from outside of McAfee or Intel. This is called inbreeding. This is what's going to kill McAfee.

Least capable get promoted. Remember that when you see someone's resume who was a director or a VP. The people who are changing things who are creative and paradigm-shattering come in and leave jaded usually under 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people
    Allow your people more latitude to complete their jobs
    Change meeting structures from status reports and top-down communications to more creative, problem solving and down-to-top communications

Restricted funding at Mcafee

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Plano, TX (US)

ProsAccess to new technology and innovation

ConsMinimal raises, restricted hiring in US, lots of offshore hiring

Advice to Senior Managementco-locating engineering teams improve quality and performance

Potentially a good opportunity, but make sure you (and your management) are aligned politically with executive staff.

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of products to sell - many of which are market-leading solutions.

ConsI perceive a deep lack of clarity and focus within the sales ranks.

Advice to Senior ManagementMcAfee sales org has a great many very skilled individuals that are not being heard and appear to be disconnected. I would recommend you listen to them as they could hold the key to strong future growth and returns for the company.

Worked for McAfee? Contribute to the Community!