McAfee

McAfee Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

McAfee President Michael DeCesare

Michael DeCesare

Pros:
  • "Work life balance - you know what that means :) Little work and less pay"
    in 59 reviews
  • "You have Flexible Working Hours - can come and go as you wish as long as work gets done"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor flexibility with respect to work/life balance"
    in 12 reviews
  • "and IDC lost it's mojo with many senior management folks moving away"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Automation Engineer

Automation Engineer (Current Employee)
Waterloo, ON

I have been working at McAfee as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Great company and teamwork.
- Great Team event

Cons- Tasks were a bit too easy

Corporate & profit driven, but co-workers are nice

Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)
Waterloo, ON

I have been working at McAfee as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe wages are good and the co-workers are friendly and helpful. Most of them are very good at what they do. There are people from all over the world here. The hours are flexible and the atmosphere is relaxed. One quickly becomes a member of their team.

ConsThe code is old and very complicated. Management is hesitant to really revise it. There have been a lot of recent hires, so not many are knowledgeable. The culture is large corporate. Their recent change to agile/scrum seems to have missed the point, and it's becoming a game to produce good statistics.

it's never boring

Technical Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at McAfee full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYour days will go fast as there is more work than you can handle. Everyone works as a Team and are willing to pitch in. You stay at the forefront of the industry.

ConsNo growth/learning opportunities. Work hard. Then work harder. Security industry is non-stop, break neck speed. You'll only get recognition if you work a ton of overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to stretch resources so thin.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

I used it as a stepping stone.

ProsPay's not bad.
100% paid prescriptions

ConsNo sick time (must take vacation time acrued)
Over worked, not enough people.
No acknowledgement of working extra hours to accomplish unrealistic schedules.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany people have left. More are leaving.
People there are over worked. Know that.
I have happily moved on and will never look back.

McAfee (Intel) is a stepping stone!

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at McAfee

ProsPeers in engineering are smart, nice and are willing to help others.
Company will buy you the hardware you need to get you job done, you just need a good business case.
Pay is OK, nothing to get excited about. Negotiate well on hire!
Nice place for a short term.
Free pop, free donuts (once a week), monthly cake day to celebrate birthdays (very recent)
Good benefits

ConsThis is a "Yes" man's place.
No commitment from management to help grow you, they want you happy where you are.
Work life balance is not something valued here!They value deadline over quality.
Burn-out due to stupid duplication of cross-team roles. Developer expected to also be QA, do your job as a coder then do the job of a full-time QA. If QA gets a buggy drop, they+QA management whine about their "deadline" being stretched. QA doesn't want to work past 5pm! So developer have to put in extra hours, this is unfair!!!
They try to fit an agile process in a company that is more like a waterfall software development shop.
They lack real engineering standards, it's really painful how much dev managers are so old school they see no value is using a unit testing framework!
You can work your butt off, put in long hours and you will not get a pay raise to even match inflation. This is not only sad, but plain insulting! More so when a company sees double-digit growth for 8+ consecutive quarters! It's a slap in the face!!
No opportunity for growth, company is really small. you are pretty much stuck where you are.
Slow to embrace new technology, they love to acquire companies for the IP, but zero focus on R&D.
Management will throw you under the bus, even when they are not managing you!
Management is resistance to change, they talk with zero action and lack credibility. Most manager will listen, that is as far as it goes.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking, stop taking surveys and just execute. Noting speaks volume then "effective" action. Workers see though the hot air talks, also the surveys are so misleading because no one really believes they are anonymous. As a result "real" feelings between peers is not reflected in the survey management is seeing!

Just another Job!

Senior Computer Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at McAfee

ProsThere are interesting project areas, if you are able to switch to a different project, it will help keep one interested. They do have some internal "online" training courses, but they are mostly useless to development, but you are able to view some books online which is nice to have handly. You get the typical free soda, coffee and doughnut Tuesdays. Management is willing to upgrade your hardware if you need them, as long as you can make a business case for new hardware, they will provide it.

ConsMcAfee lacks support for those who want to better themselves, there is no mentorship from higher ups or recognition of people who want to be more proactive and participate in other functional areas. Poor design ideas are thought up in a vacuum by management without asking for feedback or participation of team members. This attitude of management knows best is one reason McAfee is a follower and not a leader in its market. In fact this has been openly stated that we want to be just good enough and let our sales teams crank out the sales!

You feel like a hand not a brain over here, you have to really fight hard to get cool stuff to work on. Usually all the decisions are made for you and then it's up to you to complete the task. You are not appreciated as a thinking member of a bigger team. Lack of resources, people keep getting switched on and off projects. My biggest beef is that it seems like you're always busy working hard, but really noting gets accomplished. Lot of smart people here, but most have given up and it enough for them to just show up to work! This company needs a overhaul on being innovative!!! This can only come from the ground up, because the top-down approach is totally not working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake pride in what you build, don't just sell the spin, invest in real home grown R&D.

The company needs to be "proactive" in involving keen developers in different aspects of the design and development cycles. This should be more than just attending a brain-numbing meeting. If I hear one more time the code is the document then we got the wrong people in charge who just don't get it.

Good place to work for!

Systems Developer (Former Employee)
Plano, TX (US)

I worked at McAfee as a contractor for more than a year

ProsVery Good work atmosphere/culture. Good management. People in all the software departments are mostly friendly professionals.

ConsSome times senior management can be tricky trying to find scapegoats to escape from their mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead my Cons

Great

I have been working at McAfee

ProsGreat work, great team and culture

ConsNormal senior management
Not so great office

Great company with excellent technical core

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
Portland, OR (US)

I worked at McAfee full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCutting edge of security technologies and people that worked in engineering to deliver for both the customers and shareholders.

Consthere were some players in support management that practiced cronyism. This management was unseated by the executive team within six months of my departure and the relationships seem to be much better between support and engineering.

Good place to learn and grow

Marketing Operations (Current Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at McAfee full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent culture and professional people, superior flex--benefits, open communication from senior management.

ConsRetrenchments in the name of cost-cutting, which not only affects those who are forced to leave, but also de-motivates the others who stay back in the organization

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be mindful of cost-cutting measures

Worked for McAfee? Contribute to the Community!

McAfee Videos

McAfee – Why Work for Us?

At McAfee, we’re obsessed about keeping the world safe from the dangers in the digital world. Focused on innovation and cutting-edge research, we look for smart, committed people to help us defend the world against the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McAfee reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for McAfee CEO Michael DeCesare. All 411 reviews are posted anonymously by McAfee employees.