MasterCard

Updated 18 October, 2014
3.7

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga
Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 10 reviews)

• No priorities at the senior management level (need to be everything to everyone) and execution is unrealistic (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Very mature company that strives to grow market share using innovative products and solutions.

Current Employee - Director in O'Fallon, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Director in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits package. Good product leadership team.

Cons

Slow speed to market, but things might change in a few years

Reduce red tape barriers. IT and products need to work more as a team.

Sep 29, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your comments..leading with great people and benefits drive our success now and in the future!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, competitive compensation, development opportunities and good people. Company is undergoing a lot of change - individuals can make an impact. Strong executive management. Good work-life integration.

Cons

Company is undergoing a lot of change, which can be hard to navigate. No priorities at the senior management level (need to be everything to everyone) and execution is unrealistic. Company needs more diversity at all levels.

Sep 23, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

We appreciate your time and attention to writing this review. Your candor helps our Brand build for the future. Thank you.

Exclusive Company

Former Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and work-life balance

Cons

Job security and the integrity of the company is awful

Be transparent with staff

Good place to work

Former Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance. Seems like a lot of opportunity for younger less experienced employees to get visibility and get involved in many training opportunities. Senior management is looking for new ideas and products to be innovative within the industry.

Cons

Decision making by some of management is very time consuming. Many people do not want to rock the boat, so there is a lot of looking for a large consensus before a decision is made.

Keep on trying to have mangers be pioneers when it comes to decision making.

Smart, Talented Individuals - Company progressing very well

Current Employee - Leader in O'Fallon, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Leader in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent pay, benefits, vacation, 401k, holidays. If working for the right manager, life is very good. Much room for advancement, coaching and education are encouraged.

Cons

Some high-level management have no business "managing" people. Complaints are put back on the lower-level management, who end up stuck in the middle with no alternative but to move to another position. If you are friends with one of these high-level managers, you're in - if not, better looki for another position. On the other side of the house, there aren't many promotions in current positions (even as you grow) unless you apply to a higher level.

HR should listen to their employees, not simply nod and say "I understand." That does not produce results. When People Effectiveness Survey results are published to management and HR 1. Commend those with high results and 2. Deal withi those who have low results. Don't ignore them.

Sep 08, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thank you for your candid remarks. We take reviews and our employee surveys seriously to garner insight for continuous improvement!

Very very disappointing-

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. I encounter some depts that seem like they are run well and have positive working environments w collaborative teams. Not mine.

Cons

I can't even pinpoint the source of the terrible culture, morale and lack of team engagement but it is so pervasive in some groups that it can make work a nightmare. I hate to generalize the company as a whole as I know there are some areas that are not run this way and I am one of the unlucky ones that got stuck in a totally cliquish group lead by a terrible manager. Absolutely zero communication or clarity on expectations, zero product training, no management support in any way. Do not even think about doing anything innovative or out of the box of your primary role, totally frowned upon and be prepared that every question you ask of a teammate re product or anything company related will get reported back to your boss as lack of knowledge, general ineptitude so that the whole team is afraid to ever ask a question or ever think out of the box. So sad because there is some decent technology happening but it will never flourish because they are so old school in their thinking like a corporation from the 70's. Stepford-ish. ......no wonder everyone goes to Visa

Engage and develop your people, don't be threatened by people that are highly motivated. Appreciate the diverse backgrounds and experience that your team brings and stop judging value solely on how much mastercard knowledge they have, look beyond your own walls and use and appreciate varied backgrounds-that is what makes a company great. Not everyone needs to have 15 years of MasterCard experience to be an asset to the company. You don't know everything so stop seeing the world through your narrow lens. Take notes from other co's that do things right, paypal, visa, world pay, digital river, oracle, apple, google, amazon to name a few. There is a reason no top payment and tech talent ever consider going to MC, bad reputation for inner company dynamics, poor leadership and old school thinking, rewarding conformity and frowning on individuality and new ideas- wont stay here more than a couple years, even though I planned to retire from the co-

Great Exprience!

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great work culture and ethics
    - Takes care of its employees
    - Decent complensation

Cons

- Employees could get few more benefits

n.a.

Sep 02, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Hearing positive feedback on our culture feels great! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Senior Consultant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The company continually offers training courses and programs in all business areas, so there is a lot of opportunity for professional growth and development.

Cons

While the company utilizes a large number of consultants to contribute to strategic planning, consultants' opinions are not valued by long-term senior executives with over 20 years of experience. The company appears to be going through a transformational change and could benefit by transforming their talent pool.

There are really brilliant people at the Business Leader level who should be promoted to Senior Business Leaders and Group Heads.

Great company

Current Employee - Account Executive in Del Rio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Del Rio, TX (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is good compared to others

Cons

Being mean to people most of the time

Relax

wonderful experience

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

So far my thoughts about Mastercard are very positive. The people and the environment is very friendly. The employees really are commited to the organiztion and management sees it. I can say that I am proud to be a part of this company and look forward to seeing the future here. I would for sure tell friends and family that this is a great place to work.

Cons

there are no cons that I have seen

Aug 19, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

So glad that your early experience is so positive! Thanks for sharing....