MasterCard

Updated 10 September, 2014
3.8

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga
Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Del Rio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Del Rio, TX (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is good compared to others

Cons

Being mean to people most of the time

Relax

wonderful experience

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for less than a year

Pros

So far my thoughts about Mastercard are very positive. The people and the environment is very friendly. The employees really are commited to the organiztion and management sees it. I can say that I am proud to be a part of this company and look forward to seeing the future here. I would for sure tell friends and family that this is a great place to work.

Cons

there are no cons that I have seen

Aug 19, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

So glad that your early experience is so positive! Thanks for sharing....

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Compensation very competitive, solid management team, loads of career opportunity, company truly cares about its employees

Cons

A great deal of lateral opportunity, but can be challenging to find upward opportunity especially at senior management level, at times management is not as transparent as they should be

Become slightly less risk averse, beat Visa to the punch, continue to focus on emerging payment opportunities

Aug 18, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your thoughts - an open, transparent culture is a winning one!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Evolving into a technology company

Current Employee - Business Leader  in  San Carlos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Leader in San Carlos, CA (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Senior leadership has a great vision for the future of the company and employees have bought in. Strong growth and profitability has allowed for acquisitions to keep pace with the change and innovation. Great benefits, profit sharing and health plan. Great internal communications and resources available to team members. A company with a social conscience.

Cons

One challenge is the highly regulated industry environment which inhibits rapid development and change. Can be bureaucratic and sluggish to move.

Communicate clear ownership and install processes to accelerate implementation of new strategic initiatives.

Aug 18, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Your sentiment regarding being socially conscious is what brings great pride; as we say Doing Well by Doing Good! thanks for your review

Very positive experience

Former Employee - Intern  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Intern in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at MasterCard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very positive work environment, great culture.

Cons

Having to wait from the green light from on high frustrated some devs.

Admirable Culture

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than a year

Pros

The companies culture is extremely impressive. I have worked as a contractor for a little over a year and recently became an employee and couldnt be happier. I worked for another company based in St. Louis for 5 years and they are night/day with MasterCard. There is lots of employee appreciation and a also a committement to employee growth.

Cons

Any time you are working in IT there will be lots of challenges with the work which can be stressful at times. The only thing is it is very hard to come into this company as an employee without knowing someone first.

Aug 06, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Culture is a key driver when people consider working for any Brand - thanks for your thoughts!

Great place to work - glad I made the leap!

Current Employee - Leader  in  Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for less than a year

Pros

In addition to their solid place in the market, growing revenues and encouraging future, MasterCard treats their employees well, communicates effectively and provides empowerment to employees at all levels.

Cons

Like any large organization, politics can trump basic common sense with decision making. Also, titles for positions are ambiguous which causes some confusion.

While a matrix organization is a great collaborative tool, too many dotted lines or an unclear organizational structure leaves challenges.

Aug 06, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

We value your response - thanks so much !

Good Company

Current Employee - Consultant  in  O'Fallon, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast Paced, Good work environment, if you work hard you get rewarded. Good tuition reimbursement, pays for certifications and training.

Cons

You may have to work overtime, not everyone works hard.

Jul 22, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your review - we are happy that you gave some insight into our culture!

Outstanding culture that drives maximizing employee capabilities

I have been working at MasterCard full-time

Pros

Supportive and progressive culture that drives employees to maximize their capabilities and contributions. Less of the political culture found in other organizations which lends itself better to success. There is a reason it is viewed as one of the best places to work.

Cons

There is a pace that can be heightened as far as delivery of solutions, but a solution is provided. Can increase the cross communication between business and an ease of corporate navigation can be improved.

Jul 24, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks so much for your review - investing in our employees is a critical focus area...

Lack of leadership.

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was a contractor for an associate software engineer position for $25/hr. I was paid on time. You work a lot more than you are paid for, but it is very nice to work with such a large organization. It is a big place. I am sure there are some good teams there.

Cons

The details of the job were hidden behind senior employee's egos. I was constantly reminded that I was a contractor and not an employee. There was an enormous lack of communication. I was constantly being cussed at and berated. I guess management was constantly overworked. There was a lot of negative gossip initiated by management. Obviously, you work hard and feel good about your work and are let down when after looking people in the eye day in and day out and dealing with a lot of nonsense you receive a call from a contract representative you've met once saying you are no longer employed. A lot of micromanagement.

Don't feel threatened when you are looked in the eye and spoken to. If something was not done to your satisfaction, communicate it or provide criticism/feedback.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!