MasterCard

Updated 27 August, 2014

3.8

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga
Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Admirable Culture

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than a year

Pros

The companies culture is extremely impressive. I have worked as a contractor for a little over a year and recently became an employee and couldnt be happier. I worked for another company based in St. Louis for 5 years and they are night/day with MasterCard. There is lots of employee appreciation and a also a committement to employee growth.

Cons

Any time you are working in IT there will be lots of challenges with the work which can be stressful at times. The only thing is it is very hard to come into this company as an employee without knowing someone first.

Aug 06, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Culture is a key driver when people consider working for any Brand - thanks for your thoughts!

Great company

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Del Rio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Del Rio, TX (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is good compared to others

Cons

Being mean to people most of the time

Relax

Lack of leadership.

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was a contractor for an associate software engineer position for $25/hr. I was paid on time. You work a lot more than you are paid for, but it is very nice to work with such a large organization. It is a big place. I am sure there are some good teams there.

Cons

The details of the job were hidden behind senior employee's egos. I was constantly reminded that I was a contractor and not an employee. There was an enormous lack of communication. I was constantly being cussed at and berated. I guess management was constantly overworked. There was a lot of negative gossip initiated by management. Obviously, you work hard and feel good about your work and are let down when after looking people in the eye day in and day out and dealing with a lot of nonsense you receive a call from a contract representative you've met once saying you are no longer employed. A lot of micromanagement.

Don't feel threatened when you are looked in the eye and spoken to. If something was not done to your satisfaction, communicate it or provide criticism/feedback.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Uncomfortable and hostile at the lower to middle management level.

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hiring new and younger employees while maintaining existing generations which provides a broad spectrum of existing experience and new ideas. Benefits are still reasonable and there is a matching 401k which starts vesting in the first year. Senior management is absolutely moving in the right direction.

Cons

Old school hostility still exists in pockets. Attempts are being made to clean up unacceptable behavior but it's like moving a battleship.

Train your management team and have HR proactively involved. When your overall management score is ranked below a 6 on a scale of 1 - 10 specific intervention would be useful.

Great place to work - glad I made the leap!

Current Employee - Leader  in  Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for less than a year

Pros

In addition to their solid place in the market, growing revenues and encouraging future, MasterCard treats their employees well, communicates effectively and provides empowerment to employees at all levels.

Cons

Like any large organization, politics can trump basic common sense with decision making. Also, titles for positions are ambiguous which causes some confusion.

While a matrix organization is a great collaborative tool, too many dotted lines or an unclear organizational structure leaves challenges.

Aug 06, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

We value your response - thanks so much !

Good Company

Current Employee - Consultant  in  O'Fallon, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast Paced, Good work environment, if you work hard you get rewarded. Good tuition reimbursement, pays for certifications and training.

Cons

You may have to work overtime, not everyone works hard.

Jul 22, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your review - we are happy that you gave some insight into our culture!

Outstanding culture that drives maximizing employee capabilities

I have been working at MasterCard full-time

Pros

Supportive and progressive culture that drives employees to maximize their capabilities and contributions. Less of the political culture found in other organizations which lends itself better to success. There is a reason it is viewed as one of the best places to work.

Cons

There is a pace that can be heightened as far as delivery of solutions, but a solution is provided. Can increase the cross communication between business and an ease of corporate navigation can be improved.

Jul 24, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks so much for your review - investing in our employees is a critical focus area...

Summer Intern

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  O'Fallon, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

MasterCard really values their interns. I was given a legitimate independent project, the results of which were used even after the internship was over. There are many internship activities throughout the summer, such as sitting in the MasterCard box at a Cardinals game, volunteering at Junior Achievement Finance Park, and various "lunch and learns" with executives. The internship is one of the most professionally designed programs I have seen. MasterCard provides housing and transportation for interns not from the area which is a huge perk. MasterCard uses the internship program as a pipeline for full-time hires. I was even given the opportunity to work remotely during the school year.

Cons

Interns in MTO and IPS don't get to interact much at work.

Great office culture. You can tell innovation is a priority.

Excellent company with a dynamic CEO who has led the company thru significant growth and positive cultural change.

Current Employee - Vice President Senior Business Leader  in  Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Solid business model with focus on innovation, emerging markets, financial inclusion, merchants, goverments, issuers and consumers.

Cons

Overall, excellent place to work, but sometimes organization is hard to navigate despite being relatively small with 8,000 employees.

Continue to focus on innovation, emerging markets, financial inclusion, merchants, goverments, issuers and consumers.

Jul 22, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your comprehensive and positive review - an insider perspective is valuable!

About the job...

Current Employee - Account Management
    Current Employee - Account Management

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than a year

Pros

I find a great live/work balance here at MasterCard; I start early and end early...usually 7AM - 4PM. The benefits are top notch with access to a gym and great medical and the company is doing very well overall.

Cons

On the down side, there is a lot of structure that come along with a bigger, public company...meaning lots of red-tape and reporting to managers.

Jul 22, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

People join Cultures..great tips from an insider - thanks!

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!