MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to land

Vice President (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsDeep resources and expertise to leverage for success

ConsLarge organization can be daunting to access

Uncompetitive in Canada

Vice President (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsCome talented people
    Good industry to work in
    Good focus on innovation

ConsCanadian leadership is incompetent
    Sales and client management teams are was behind market leaders, Amex and VISA
    Leadership not able to drive improvement

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advantage of the talent that the organization already has to close key gaps in sales and client management
    Address the competitive losing streak and develop a strategy to start winning again
    Make "focus on the customer" more than just something you say

Intern

Intern (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGreat people, very innovative
    I liked how they allowed employees to use the perks of the Priceless campaign (ie. free tickets)

ConsNot many team bonding activities, sometimes felt out of touch with the company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

Project Manager (Former Employee) London, ON

ProsLoads of opportunities, interesting projects

ConsToo much admin. Process over Progress

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce admin overload

Great place to work - glad I made the leap!

Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsIn addition to their solid place in the market, growing revenues and encouraging future, MasterCard treats their employees well, communicates effectively and provides empowerment to employees at all levels.

ConsLike any large organization, politics can trump basic common sense with decision making. Also, titles for positions are ambiguous which causes some confusion.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile a matrix organization is a great collaborative tool, too many dotted lines or an unclear organizational structure leaves challenges.

Good Company

Consultant (Current Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsFast Paced, Good work environment, if you work hard you get rewarded. Good tuition reimbursement, pays for certifications and training.

ConsYou may have to work overtime, not everyone works hard.

Jul 22, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your review - we are happy that you gave some insight into our culture!

Outstanding culture that drives maximizing employee capabilities

ProsSupportive and progressive culture that drives employees to maximize their capabilities and contributions. Less of the political culture found in other organizations which lends itself better to success. There is a reason it is viewed as one of the best places to work.

ConsThere is a pace that can be heightened as far as delivery of solutions, but a solution is provided. Can increase the cross communication between business and an ease of corporate navigation can be improved.

Jul 24, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks so much for your review - investing in our employees is a critical focus area...

Excellent company with a dynamic CEO who has led the company thru significant growth and positive cultural change.

Vice President Senior Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsSolid business model with focus on innovation, emerging markets, financial inclusion, merchants, goverments, issuers and consumers.

ConsOverall, excellent place to work, but sometimes organization is hard to navigate despite being relatively small with 8,000 employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on innovation, emerging markets, financial inclusion, merchants, goverments, issuers and consumers.

Jul 22, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your comprehensive and positive review - an insider perspective is valuable!

Great place to work

Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsAdvancement opportunities exist if you are proactive in finding them and building your network internally. The company has clearly laid out its strategy going forward and has been well received by our customers and shareholders.

ConsNone to report at this time

About the job...

Account Management (Current Employee)

ProsI find a great live/work balance here at MasterCard; I start early and end early...usually 7AM - 4PM. The benefits are top notch with access to a gym and great medical and the company is doing very well overall.

ConsOn the down side, there is a lot of structure that come along with a bigger, public company...meaning lots of red-tape and reporting to managers.

Jul 22, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

People join Cultures..great tips from an insider - thanks!

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!