MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros:
  • "Very good environment and good work life balance"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Good benefits especially for employees with families"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "MasterCard HR tries to promote work/life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Everyone under middle management is expected to work "more than 40 hours" per week"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Growth Company - With Lots of Opportunities

Senior Business Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt is hard to argue against a company that is doing so well. You have to work to advance here but your hard work pays off. Great work life balance. Ajay Banga is a true leader that is driving this company in a place that it has never been before. He is tremendous and his impact can be felt through the entire organization. You can't say that about too many CEO's.

ConsIt is hard to work in a b2b2c environment. We do things differently here which are sometimes difficult for someone that is new to the organization/four party model. This growing pain goes away once you understand our business and our business model.

Fantastic place to work

Senior Specialist (Current Employee)
O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you are dedicated and hard working, this is a great company to work for.

ConsPolitical, promotions and difficult and salary increases are nil. If you do not get the starting salary you want, you can forget about 'working your way there'.

Challenging somewhat rewarding nice experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MasterCard full-time

ProsChallenging somewhat rewarding nice experience

ConsLack of leadership and hiring of wrong people, A lot of opportunity for advancement but was taken advantage of by various people with various reasons.

Great place to work...but not perfect

Business Leader, LFI (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

Prossalary is very competitive and innovation of products really good. CEO is inspiring. There are some incredibly smart leaders within the organization. Good at moving people from one function to another

ConsGrp Heads can behave like demi-gods with sense of self entitlement; Purchase culture is stifling, too stiff and unwelcoming. Those who get ahead tend to do so based on who they know. Always seem to have to do more with less

Advice to Senior Managementgetting things can done can take too long, too many road blocks and culture of risk aversion needs to change

MasterCard is on the move with new technology, innovation and thought leadership!

Business Leader (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe life-work balance is wonderful. Everyone pulls together to make things happen and we all take personal pride in quality work. Quality work is usually compenstated for in multiple ways. Truly a global company.

ConsUpper level management changes too frequently, causing confusion and lack of consistency. Probably like most companies there are some bad seeds in the group that talk out of both sides of their mouth, play favorites and are in it for themselves. NY employees are not flexible in the culturaly differences. Too many opinions and performance reviews based on hear say.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider spending a little more money on simple technology enhancements that support day to day operations, in the long run employees will be more effecient (saving money) and customers will be happier.

Employees still feel that they have no place to go in fear of retaliation. HR recently sat on a phone call un-announced for an hour; very sneaky. I have no trust in the process or the department.

Consider implementing a process for escalating business decisions that are "stuck in the mud" with their existing management.

best place in st louis to work

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy".

Consvery consensus driven, not driven to take risks, HR no help. hope you get a good boss!

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage turnover / new experiences to improve the energy levels; look at the leadership and see if they fit the mould for tomorrow or just a reflection of the past; take some risks to refresh the talent to show you are changing the old banking culture.

Financially well-run; Needs to accelerate time to market for product innovation

I have been working at MasterCard full-time

ProsI like the fact that the company is addressing key competitive factors and working hard to overcome the legacy and mentality of an association. The consumer-centered focus is also important in order to clearly differentiate our product benefits/innovation/value proposition

Cons-Managers lack the skills and leadership to motivate people; yet are rewarded in a vacuum

-New managers who have been hired with "badge" value are ineffective when it comes down to translating their experience to MC business

-Not a ton of opportunity to get promoted due to heavy matrix

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above

Relatively stable, good brand for your resume but be comfortable with no career path

Business Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros-Relatively stable, the number of re-organizations has been reduced over the last few years
-CEO is inspiring and has a definite vision

Cons-Very very few career opportunities, lateral moves are stressed for exposure to other areas but hiring managers won't hire someone without 110% of the experience they are looking for (actual words used)
-Compensation is average
-CEOs vision seems to get lost between the vision and it's implementation
-If there isn't already someone in mind for an opening, hiring externally is preferred

Watch out for "queen bee" in LAC

not important (Current Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people to work with at the middle management & lower level.

People generally excited to go to work in most departments

Cons"Queen Bee" is a typical example of mobbing and playing political games in the work place, everyone fears for their job in that department. Very unhealthy work place to be in.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf changing the corporate culture is a mandate coming from the top, please take a strong look at the department in-charge of you're people.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Riding the gravy train!

Senior Managing Consultant (Current Employee)
Bugis (Singapore)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBeneficiary of secular growth due to ongoing shift from cash to plastic and mobile.

ConsOnly as good as it has to be. Rent seeking behavior. Get ready to suck up!

Advice to Senior ManagementMore adults in the room please!!!

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!

MasterCard Videos

MasterCard – Why Work for Us?

NOT JUST SHAPING THE FUTURE. CHANGING IT. Here at MasterCard, we work at the heart of commerce. While our people around the world may be engaged in any number of interesting and exciting projects at any given time, we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MasterCard reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga. All 224 reviews are posted anonymously by MasterCard employees.