MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros:
  • "Very good environment and good work life balance"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Good benefits especially for employees with families"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "MasterCard HR tries to promote work/life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Everyone under middle management is expected to work "more than 40 hours" per week"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place to work but sliding backwards

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay, including good bonus that is always paid. Fast pace. Good time off. Ability (even pushed) to move around and try different areas. Looks great on a resume since everyone knows MC.

ConsWhile pay is good raises don't exists. So if you are looking to work here get every penny up front because you won't even keep up with inflation. Health coverage SUCKS!!!! It's very expensive and low coverage. Most of the Execs came up in the company so they micro manage because they did all the jobs before. Red tape everywhere. They are looking to outsource everything in IT that isn't the latest/coolest thing. It's leading to the basics taking forever, and thus costing more, and ironically, leaving less money for the latest/coolest things. Purchase (business) and St. Louis (IT) don't work well together. Ajay says we are an IT company yet he rarely comes to the IT headquarters. If we are an IT company Ajay should move to St. Louis and establish that as the headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something about salary range penitration. You are ok now but turn-over will start to really hurt as average pay moves back to the pack. Fix the healthcare package.

Never bored

Business Leader (Current Employee)
O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI get to work with emerging technologies. If you do not like the area you are working in, there are many others to advance your career.

ConsFast paced. Everything is needed yesterday. If you cannot Multi-task, this is not the pace for you.

Working at MasterCard has been a great experience

Vice President (Current Employee)
Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCompany has been on the path of innovation, it has a great business model and our brand is well known.

ConsMasterCard went public in 2006, prior to that they were private. There is an old culture here that is not keen on changing. We need to work on that.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrying to drive innovation and fun throughout a company is a fantastic things however cannot be done in a suit and tie. Executives need to come to work dressed down to promote a more relaxed environment that promotes innovation

Project Manager

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOverall a good company to work. Excellent benefits. Great CEO.

ConsLots of internal politics. Manager act like a demi-god and they can make or break your career.

It's hard to reach the first with no heart

Business Leader (Former Employee)
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- Relevant budget
- Very nice office / overall benefits package
- Strong brand
- International exposure, possibility to international reallocation
- Growing industry

Cons- No inspirational leadership. Cold environment, lots of conflicts
- Too bureaucratic
- No incentive to the "new", out of box ideas doesn't have real chances to be implemented.
- Politics, politics, politics.
- Where's "Priceless" internally?

Advice to Senior ManagementCaution - employees are not motivated and don't see recognition.

This company is a good company. Their new shared services is a nightmare

Accounts Payable Temp (Current Employee)
O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time

ProsThe company pays better than market to their employees. The time off policy is very generous. The O
Fallon building has many perks for the employee.

ConsThe culture and the actual environment are totally different. MasterCard HR tries to promote work/life balance. Putting the employees first. The actuality is long hours, overworked staff, and a hostile work environment. Management is worried about covering themselves and showing up others so they look good with no regard to the result of the dept. or other employees trying to do their best.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the business leader and above in the GBSC transaction services and replace with competent leadership.

Good workplace for the enterprising

Technical Consultant (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWhat you learn is only limited by your drive to learn. Flexible schedules are a perk. Benefits are competitive. Strong technology focus on the core network enables value added products to be developed.

ConsBureaucracy in middle management inhibits productivity. Need to create better alignment to vision communicated by executive leadership. Software Development culture not quite state of the art - no vision in procuring the right tools to do the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better talent and create an environment where they succeed. Stop the cover your ass culture.

Messy Management no Long Term Perspective

Business Leader (Current Employee)
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProfitable and growing market. International career opportunities.

ConsConfusing Structure and too many levels both horizontal and vertical. Matrix organization creates a chaos on how do determine priorities. Compensation is a one-to-one basis. There are people at the same level/job which more than 200% difference in their salaries. Human Resources launched a hunt season against long-term employees in Brazil

Advice to Senior ManagementIn Brazil, they just fired 7 people out of 150 employees and all of them , ALL, were more than 10 years employees. Guess what it is the mood of those who are 8 or 9 years old. The local leadership team has completely destroyed its credibility and people are working all worried about losing their jobs. What is crazy in this ? Company results are awesome. So, what's the message here ? Stay old in the company and be kicked out ?

Good company to work for.

Vice President (Current Employee)
Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompany doing well, good benefits, and good work-life balance

ConsForget getting promoted at this organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementPresident should stop being so cocky

MasterCard is changing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MasterCard

ProsGood compensation and a lot of good managers

ConsThe Corporate culture is changing and becoming more cutthroat.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe talk about the culture is one view but the reality is something different. Figure out what you really want to be and speak and act consistently

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!

MasterCard Videos

MasterCard – Why Work for Us?

NOT JUST SHAPING THE FUTURE. CHANGING IT. Here at MasterCard, we work at the heart of commerce. While our people around the world may be engaged in any number of interesting and exciting projects at any given time, we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MasterCard reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga. All 227 reviews are posted anonymously by MasterCard employees.