MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy"(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice(in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle(in 9 reviews)

Great place to work

ProsDynamic, interesting work. Solid management team in place and a great outlook for the company

ConsMasterCard could do better hiring straight out of college/grad school. Most employees have significant industry experience that would be complimented by new blood.

Jul 15, 2014

Thanks for your feedback - especially on hiring emerging professionals!

Satisified

Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsGreat work life balance and corporate culture

ConsThe company and its people are very kind and professional. Great company.

Jul 15, 2014

Your review is appreciated and will be helpful for others - thanks!

Middle Management will make or break the future of plans of this company if they don't take good care of their reports

Project Manager (Current Employee) O Fallon, MO (US)

ProsGreat Benefits, Occasionally interesting projects if you are in the right team especially if project is a business imperative.
    Great Top Leadership especially CEO. He is taking this company places. If only an ounce of some of his awesomeness can trickle down to the mid level management.

ConsToo much cronyism. Make that extreme cronyism. It's done so openly it stinks.
    Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making your friends into people managers when they lack the ability to managers of technical teams or people managers period. People managers are critical to building the people if they can't it cost the company more money but lost trust and lost team moral.

Jul 10, 2014

Your feedback and candor is important to us - thanks for sharing.
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging but positive.

Senior Business Leader (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsProfitable. Good salary. Interesting mix of Financial Services Sector and Technology Sector issues. Growing business / sector.

ConsToo many pre-IPO legacy issues which permeate the company's DNA. Brand suffers against Visa's dominant position (a similar comparison is Pepsi versus Coke's dominance). Payments is a very 'quirky' sector which retains a seemingly large proportion of quirky behaviours / styles. Very US-centric management.

Great benefits!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has very good benefits. With the new CEO, the culture within the organization has been changing for the good.

ConsAny ideas suggested usually goes through all levels for approval which could be hindrance at times. Incompetent leadership in some roles are stagnating the growth in their areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to embrace an open culture by giving opportunities to high performers.

MasterCard is in a great industry and has some brilliant potential.

Customer Relations (Current Employee) Mumbai (India)

ProsPotential to make a difference to the way value gets exchanged

ConsMasterCard is a pretty slow company as far as decision making is concerned. People do not necessarily perform, and leaders do not necessarily seek performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementA great CEO by himself cannot hope to change the company. It's important to have leaders who share similar vision and passion to execute.

Jun 30, 2014

Great to hear from our colleagues in AP! Thanks for your review.

A lot of good ideas but not much when it comes to action

Product Specialist (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat work life balance, no one at the office after 7pm

ConsMoves very slowly, HR not very reactive

Jun 30, 2014

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience!

Good people, nice place and professional attitudes.

Project Manager (Current Employee) O Fallon, MO (US)

ProsRelax work environment with great people to work with.

ConsYou have to like the Mid West to work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not have anything negative to say about MasterCard.

Jun 27, 2014

Your experience is a great testimony to why we were ranked so highly as Best Places to work in STL - Thanks!

MasterCard is a great company!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsUnder Ajay's leadership MasterCard has become more diverse. There has been a growth in women and ethnicity within the Purchase location. However, I would still like to see more women in Exectives Roles. It also offers a good work-life balance.

ConsSome managers lack leadership skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the constructive feedback that is given.

Jun 27, 2014

Thanks so much for your candid response!

At MasterCard...Everything they told me is true and that's awesome!

ProsMasterCard is going through incredible change and that makes it a very exciting place to work. Innovation and thinking outside of the box is highly encouraged so all employees can make a difference and contribute to the MasterCard difference.

ConsAs with all change there is some resistance.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue building a creative and fun culture while retaining the highly valued culture of caring about our employees and customers

Jun 27, 2014

Great feedback - we are highly focused on doing well while doing good!

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!