MassMutual Reviews

Updated 16 September, 2014
3.2

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment (in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients (in 8 reviews)

• Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Traditional Mutual Insurance company culture

Current Employee - Career Agent
    Current Employee - Career Agent

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for less than a year

Pros

MassMutual is one of the most succesful mutuals in the life insurance business. It is one of the best mutual companies to work for. They allow a great deal of freedom to sell other companies when the MassMutual offering in any particular situation just doesn't fit. There are ample training opportunities and you have the option to receive advances in commission so that you get paid from the start. Sales bonuses are available for quick starters and those that sell a significant amount of policies during the first year. This is a quality company and they expect their representatives to be high quality as well. Business dress is expected while working in or out of the office. Target markets are high net worth individuals and big business. Sales sophistication is a must.

Cons

Expectations are high, and may seem unreasonable. If you don't produce right away, or hit a dry spell, you won't get fired, but you also will not get much attention or support. Only those that come into the company with a successful insurance or financial practice already in place can expect to be treated with respect from the beginning. The rest of the pack has to earn it. The worst thing about this carrier is case management. It takes forever to get an application approved and issued. This is especially tough on a new agent.

Provide greater support to your general agencies so that they can hire and retain good agents through improved case management and training. Rapid and accurate case management is absolutely essential to the success of young, hard working new hires. Having only two or three well-trained and qualified case managers in a large (over 25 agents) agency office is just not enough. Your losing quality people due to lack of attention to this important part of the business. Finally, your managers need leadership training.

I have been treated well while working for MassMutual.

Current Employee - Business Consultant  in  Springfield, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Springfield, MA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

four weeks vacation, flex time, work at home options, stable company

Cons

guidance with career paths, culture is responding slowly to change

please continue to advance changes by setting the example

Great company, terrible local management

Former Employee - Career Agent  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Career Agent in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time for less than a year

Pros

MassMutual is a great company w. very competitive products and services.

Cons

Local mgt. for the Raleigh-Durham agency simply cannot be trusted at all. Very adept at going back on their word and burning bridges. With a flame-thrower.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting place to work.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Springfield, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Springfield, MA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of good organizational knowledge in the resources who have been there for a while.

Cons

The new flavor of managing 'MMWay' is playing havoc with getting the real work done.

Re-think your purpose of MMWay -- can't fit a square into a round hole.

Sales with no commission

Former Employee - Registered Customer Service Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Registered Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

People I worked with were great.

Cons

-sales metrics without commission
    -mandatory overtime if you need good work/life balance
    -using technology from the 80s
    -scheduling pto is non existent

You are making your employees work hard for base salary and sales metrics with no commission is awful. Hire more people to help lower the ques. That's how you get good customer service ratings. Get all the departments on the same page. Every department is dropping callers into other departments that don't have the customer's account either. It's 2014 and this shouldn't happen.

It killed me to leave, but I was working my tail off towards what ended up being nothing but empty promises.

I worked at MassMutual full-time

Pros

I started out as a receptionist and worked my way up to Executive Assistant to the GA/Licensing and Contracting Coordinator. Lots of personal growth.

Cons

I moved up in positions, never in salary. There was always another goal to be met before I could get the pay raise I had been working towards. Eventually, I just realized that it would never happen. They strung me along for way too long.

Pay the staff what they are worth. And don't make promises that you aren't planning on keeping.

Good Company, Tough to get started

I worked at MassMutual

Pros

Great Mentorship and training

Cons

Difficult to start if your network is limited.

Intern/Starting as financial adviser

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at MassMutual part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great connections, hands on management, pay to get certified as broker, intensive training program

Cons

Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary

Take a look at more recent corporate cultures, the cubical feel and old school management style seems out of date. Needs more of a fun and exciting atmosphere.

My experience was outstanding.

Former Employee - Financial Professional  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Professional in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time for less than a year

Pros

The training was superb and in depth. Daily training sessions on everything from proper communication rto marketing strategies. The office atmosphere will vary depending on location, but for my office I felt at home immediately. There is a team mentality that contributed to my success.

Cons

Like any financial services position based on commission it does get difficult to maintain consistency. You just have to have the patience/resources to put in the time to succeed, because immediate success is very rare.

Continue being involved in the lives of your employees. It worked thus far.

Financial Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at MassMutual for less than a year

Pros

MassMutual allows there agents to broker other insurance carriers. MassMutual allows Financial Advisors to trade stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etf's, structured products for their clients. MassMutual gives their advisors autonomy to run their own business.

Cons

You have to pay for your own licenses, computer, mailings, and supplies.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!