MassMutual

MassMutual Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall

Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment (in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients (in 8 reviews)

• Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

It killed me to leave, but I was working my tail off towards what ended up being nothing but empty promises.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI started out as a receptionist and worked my way up to Executive Assistant to the GA/Licensing and Contracting Coordinator. Lots of personal growth.

ConsI moved up in positions, never in salary. There was always another goal to be met before I could get the pay raise I had been working towards. Eventually, I just realized that it would never happen. They strung me along for way too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the staff what they are worth. And don't make promises that you aren't planning on keeping.

Like being in a cult!

Retirement Education Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsBeing able to work in the field with clients wasn't a bad gig.

ConsAll they really care about is numbers. Working with retirement plans, and their participants is about so much more, competency, the ability to build trust and instill confidence...
    Such a cliquey culture of peers, and very poor management. It's sad to say in this modern era that Mass Mutual is still a big ol' sexist boys club. If someone decides they don't like you, even if it's for personal, not professional reasons, look out, it's only a matter of time before they will gang up and run you out of there.
    The corporate culture of RAH, Mass Mutual, sucks. It was like being at a pep rally, rather than being a working professional.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to your 'bad seeds' upper management who get drunk at conferences and behave inappropriately, and weed them out. It's hard to respect a superior who uses homophobic and racial terms that are generally frowned upon.

Good Company, Tough to get started

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Mentorship and training

ConsDifficult to start if your network is limited.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern/Starting as financial adviser

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsGreat connections, hands on management, pay to get certified as broker, intensive training program

ConsOlder culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at more recent corporate cultures, the cubical feel and old school management style seems out of date. Needs more of a fun and exciting atmosphere.

Excellent Leadership Team, but some middle management DUDs at the corporate office in Springfield

Assistant Vice President LEAN Change Leader (Former Employee) Springfield, MA (US)

ProsExcellent benefits package; opportunity to experience many different business area functions; Leadership Team with a clear vision of the future and willing to invest to get there; great facilities and employee amenities on campus; pleasant grounds and surroundings; excellent security. Company is positioned well for future growth.

ConsWhile the company promotes an open culture of coaching and feedback, some middle management in the company's Center of Excellence is mostly about negative feedback and rarely coaches direct reports on how they can get better in their role. As a mutual company it's less like a smaller private company and more like a Fortune 500 with similar bureaucracy and politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with the current strategic direction, you're on the right track.

financial representative

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD (US)

Prosflexible schedule place to work with compesation.

Consonly commission and no salary.

Advice to Senior Managementno comment for advice to management

Great company, tough to get going

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat company and people to work with

ConsIt is tough starting out and building your own practice. Lots of help but you will either have to cold call or go after family and friends

My experience was outstanding.

Financial Professional (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsThe training was superb and in depth. Daily training sessions on everything from proper communication rto marketing strategies. The office atmosphere will vary depending on location, but for my office I felt at home immediately. There is a team mentality that contributed to my success.

ConsLike any financial services position based on commission it does get difficult to maintain consistency. You just have to have the patience/resources to put in the time to succeed, because immediate success is very rare.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue being involved in the lives of your employees. It worked thus far.

Financial Advisor

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsMassMutual allows there agents to broker other insurance carriers. MassMutual allows Financial Advisors to trade stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etf's, structured products for their clients. MassMutual gives their advisors autonomy to run their own business.

ConsYou have to pay for your own licenses, computer, mailings, and supplies.

My experience has been amazing.

Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) Glen Allen, VA (US)

ProsThese office culture is very upbeat and exciting. With a great benefits plan and leadership support, this company allows its employees unlimited growth opportunities

ConsIt can sometimes be a little difficult to establish a book of business without a sufficient natural market.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!