MassMutual Reviews

Updated 20 October, 2014
3.1

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment (in 13 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary and only sales commissions (in 16 reviews)

• They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome

Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You have the flexibility of work hours, career growth here is awesome. Lots of opportunities to grow, people are open to ideas, you can suggests your ideas openly. Awesome place to work

Cons

sometime so many meetings.

Great staff, just wasn't for me

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Chesterfield, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Chesterfield, MO (US)

I worked at MassMutual as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Great team of people that are truly there to help
    -Great company with a great reputation, so helps a lot for financial advisors selling their products

Cons

-Strictly commission
    -Need better pay program

Intern/Financial Services Professional

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Walnut Creek, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Walnut Creek, CA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company culture is fantastic! Every member-from the general agent to the compliance officer--are wonderful to work with. There is absolutely no feeling of pressure here (see con). I feel like I'm amongst friends and good acquaintances who are more than happy to guide me through tough processes. My mentor, who is a successful agent, has provided me with indispensable insight for succeeding in the industry. The kind of support you get at this company is priceless. I've also gained a tremendous amount of transferable skill sets and work experience.

Cons

This is a low-pressure environment, which for me, is a con since I thrive under pressure. You receive strictly commission-based pay, which may make it or break it for you. If you're well established with about a year's or two worth of living expenses, then you can make this experience very well worth it. HOWEVER, if you're a brand new financial services professional or advisor, then this job may not be suitable--especially if you're self-supporting.

I would have rated my experience "5 stars" if the position was more welcoming to entry-level candidates, but that's the nature of the beast. Budding financial advisers have a challenging time, but you get that with any company with which you're affiliated. Note that I'm not rating the company itself--I'm rating the position for entry-level candidates.

Bottom-line: Understand what it really means to be paid solely on commission.

I wouldn't change anything about the management structure.

Ok environment, just not for me

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment
    Give you money to start your business (business cards, computer,desk,whatever you need)

Cons

lack of training
    High turnover due to high goals
    not a lot of room to grow

Spend a little more time helping your sales associates.

Still a "one trick pony"

Current Employee - Agent in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Agent in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at MassMutual as a contractor

Pros

Mass is one of the better mutual insurance companies: great contracts, high-value benefits, decent working environment, good people. I enjoy working with everyone in the office.

Cons

Management is uninspired; sales models are dated. The message is basically, "get two meetings a day by whatever method works, take two fact finders per day, and you will succeed." Not gonna happen. An old, stodgy, good-old-boy industry is trying to sell to an electronically-charged and Internet-dependent generation of young people. There has been no real growth in life insurance sales since 2008 since most of the sales are just recycling old money. New York Life money comes over to Mass Mutual; Mass Mutual money goes over to Northwestern Mutual, and around and around it goes. If it wasn't for 1035 exchanges and qualified transfers, sales would be cut in half.

Top level: You're not getting it. You need to completely revamp administration to underwriting. Financial services within 10 years will be nearly 100% digital and you're still going to be issuing paper policies with old buildings pictured on the front.
    Field managing partners: A little more honesty and a little less sizzle in the recruiting arena, please. Tell it like it is and stop contracting anyone that dresses well and can fog a mirror. And, please...read an entire specimen policy once in a while. Your product knowledge is emabarrassingly poor.

40 years behind the times

Former Employee - Director in Enfield, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Enfield, CT (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

they pay bonuses to everyone, regardless of performance

Cons

management is lacking leadership and it's definitely an ol' boys network. Systems are antiquated. Many employees have been there their entire careers. They are very against change.

Open your eyes and minds. Invest in systems that help your employees work smarter, not harder.

Great, strong financials on this company. Unfortunately not enough room for growth.

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

One of the strongest insurance companies around. Recognizable name

Cons

Unless in Springfield, MA no opportunity for advancement.

Has been a great experience

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Youngstown, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Youngstown, OH (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the support from higher ups has been amazing.
    flexible schedule
    work life balance

Cons

everything is on you when it comes to finding clients

management is great

A fantastic place for ambitious professionals

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Lehigh Valley, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Lehigh Valley, PA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The company offers a tremendous amount of support to agents in regards to support and technology and offers a great amount of flexibility and industry-leading products

Cons

No base salary. It is very difficult to get started and stay on your feet, though once you do, the payoff is tremendous.

100% Sales

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Valuable training
    Co-workers are nice and friendly
    Work-life balance

Cons

During interview process they do not fully tell you that the job will be 100% sales and how difficult it will be to generate sales
    After training they throw you under the bus and forget about you
    No guidance
    When you go on company trips you have to pay for everything

MassMutual Photos

MassMutual Headquarters
MassMutual Convention Center (Photo thanks to Flickr user informationgoddess29, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)
MassMutual Tokyo (Photo thanks to Flickr user teikan, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo