MassMutual Reviews

Updated 29 August, 2014

3.2

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment (in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients (in 8 reviews)

• Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been working at MassMutual

Pros

Products and support are strong
    Marketing money and ideas
    Independence

Cons

This business is hard
    But that is obvious

Bring more young talent in
    Continue building this great team

Good company for ambitious people

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

You have a flexible schedule and everything you produce is on you. You truly have to earn it. Training received is very strong. Techniques for referral generation are very effective. There is no limit to how much you can make. You truly get to help people make good financial decisions.

Cons

VERY difficult to get your practice off the ground when starting. Helps to have a network already in place. no salary, so you have to produce in order to receive supplements and bonuses. Not for shy people, you have to be hungry and willing to push your comfort zones.

there is no set management structure and managers come and go jsut like agents. Otherwise they provide good training and sales support. They usually start out as being top producers so they have insight into how they can help.

Only good if you are a VP or they want you as one

Current Employee - SAP Consultant  in  Springfield, MA (US)
    Current Employee - SAP Consultant in Springfield, MA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Resource managers are great, if you are not on a project, work/life balance can be good

Cons

Promotions are not given, salary increases are very low. Seems like job openings are predetermined, can't move up. New metrics system/daily huddles and low cube farms are horrible. Would you like to sit 7 feet away from someones face and watch them pick it all day?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Internship at MassMutual

I have been working at MassMutual as an intern for less than a year

Pros

First off, it's important to note that I'm interning at one of the company's headquarters, so the general agent and his producers are even more motivated to maintain a pristine reputation. My sales manager was in the Freshman Five and does very well for himself, so I am to have been taken under his wing. I haven't done a single cold call. I've only tapped into my natural market a bit just to realize that I would be making my first commissions in a month.

I'm personally very satisfied with this internship because this career path and the agency are a great fit for me. I'm business savvy; I know how to always get a "yes." I have an economics background. Obviously this is an anonymous review, so my identity is irrelevant. My point is that you sink or swim at this company and in this industry. If you do well at all, you're sitting pretty. Anyone who does well at my headquarters all possess the same characteristics. Reviewers on this site will list "little guidance and direction" as cons, but that's the nature of the beast. Agents are just vessels. To be successful, you have to possess the know-how to gain clients and sell products without much direction.

Cons

If you're not entrepreneurial, then this is not the right career path for you. There is great training for product information and sales skills; there is no training for the ability to do it.

Maybe increase agent commissions? ;)

Overall good compensation.

Former Employee - Underwriter  in  Enfield, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Enfield, CT (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are flexible schedules available at the discretion if your manager so that you can balance family and work responsibilities. The offer great bonuses and education reimbursement.

Cons

The Peter principle is alive and well at MassMutual. Unfortunately some folks get promoted to their level of incompetence. Management is fragmented.

Management needs to listen more to employees on work process issues.

Review

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great pay, strategy, investment, team members

Cons

Work life balance, focus issues

Large, stable company

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Good Benefit Package with on-site services
    - Excellent vacation time allotment
    - There are many great people to work with
    - Company has a clearly articulated strategy with the focus on its policy holders

Cons

- Somewhat short sighted in technology in certain areas. A focus on the project costs versus long term gains of technology investments
    - Process overhead as expected with such a large firm

Great company with great products and great ethics

Current Employee - Staff  in  Anaheim, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Staff in Anaheim, CA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

For a commissioned agent, Mass Mutual is the company to work for. You work for Mass Mutual directly. Great commissions and benefits. Great product line up and a very high premium placed on ethics.

Cons

Company works on a General Agency basis. Each office is in affect a franchise and each General Agent has leeway in how he or she operates. The GA definitely sets the tone of the office. If you looking at Mass Mutual you should definitely interview with different GAs (there are three in the Los Angeles / Orange County area). Also, staff positions works for the GA, not the company. Therefore salary and benefits can vary greatly from office to office.

Local staff should have access to home office benefits. (Note - the city listed below is not the actual city. Don't want to give away my office).

I worked 20 Plus Years at MM. Not as good a company as it used to be. Everyone wanted to work at MM when I started.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Springfield, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The only good thing I found these last couple of years is the bank, store, hairdresser etc.

Managers were helpful and sincere up until the last 4 years.

Cons

You will get no support from HR or elsewhere if you are having an issue in your dept. This I know first hand.

The MMWay is such a waste of time. Every day a 15 minute huddle and every week a 1 hour meeting for standard work. Every week a 2 hour problem solving meeting. Even if you have no problems, they will make up problems. To me, aside from the daily huddle, the rest is just a waste of time.

The benefits are terrible. The only thing worth being there was for the vacation time.

Perception is Reality. This is the same as when you assume. One on One meetings with manager seem to always go well but when it came down to the performance evaluation it was like you were hit with a brick. You are not informed when you are doing something that is wrong or an error has been made on your part during your one on ones with your manager. This will be brought up during your performance evaluation and at this point you cannot do a thing to fix it.

I have no advice. I'm only glad that I was able to get out of there with my sanity.

Pretty busy but nice internship experience

I worked at MassMutual as an intern

Pros

- People are all very friendly and willing to give you work
    - Except work, they also provided decent training

Cons

- Not flexible enough
    - Corner office

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!