MassMutual

MassMutual Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall

Roger W. Crandall

Pros:
  • "Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Good Benefits (tuition assistance) and amenities on site"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The industry gets a bad rep because it is all commission-based and it is quite difficult to get off of the ground, and this is no different here"
    in 7 reviews
  • "No salary makes it challenging initially"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stuck in time -- any innovation is lost

Marketing (Former Employee)
Springfield, MA (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is very financially stable and doesn't have the same pressures as a public company, which is great not having to worry about the numbers quarter to quarter. Seems like lots of job security - few layoffs compared to public companies.

ConsThe culture is stuck in the 'slow, old, corporate' mindset... very stuffy culture and feel. Any spark of innovation is quickly snuffed out. They have attempted to hire outside innovative thinkers only to be told to essentially 'assimilate' (yes that word was said to me directly). I believe the CEO has only ever worked at MM, so not surprising it hasn't changed. It is no wonder MassMutual was ranked as the company with the highest turnover by salary.com last year -- even beating out silicon valley high tech companies.

It really feels like you're playing on the B or C team. If you are willing to become a lemming then this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're not willing to listen to new ways of thinking, don't hire folks for that bring that to the company.

Very good to very bad

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee)
Stamford, CT (US)

I worked at MassMutual as a contractor for more than a year

ProsVery Good company great products good marketing and education

Consmanager was promoted, and new manager was not proactive in getting my business pushed through and issued 4 to 5 meetings on the same cases which were good cases

Advice to Senior Management4 weeks is a long time to get good business issued and paid, I don't blame the company but the agency manager that was assigned to me I cannot speak for others but that was my experience and I was not the first to leave I tried to hang in there, but it was bad

Overall, a good place to work

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee)
Springfield, MA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual for more than 10 years

ProsThe benefits are very good and I like that it is a mutual company where the focus is more on long term results rather than the next quarter.

ConsManagement is trying to change the culture to make associates more accountable and there have been ongoing staff reductions over the past few years. Not entirely a bad thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more openness and opposing viewpoints. There is too much brown nosing because associates believe that behavior is rewarded. Also, I believe the work from home privilege is being abused in many cases.

A learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MassMutual

ProsMass Mutual of Silicon Valley is a good place to get you feet wet in the sales world. They have a great training program

ConsThey try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients.

Old School and Perception Based Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Enfield, CT (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are some good people and the cafeteria is decent.

ConsTime off policy, compensation, environment, culture. There is no work/life balance. Success is defined by the number of days and hours worked, rather that skill and ability. The MMWay office environment does not offer even the slightest amount of privacy, which makes it difficult to have quiet place to focus on your work. Working from home is frowned upon.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove from vacation, personal days, and sick time to a PTO bank. The current system is old school and encourages employees to call out "sick". Listen to your employees. Morale is low and management is out of touch. The message from the front line is so sanitized by the time it reaches senior management that it no longer reflects reality.

Financial Services Representative

Financial Services Representative (Current Employee)
Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for less than a year

ProsGood leaders, good company name recognition amongst consumers, good trips provided for those with big sales numbers, good balance between work and outside life.

ConsNo salary, MUST know lots of potential buyers going into the business, no leads given, not enough sales training, sales managers aren't particularly accessible to the people they work with (they're often out on their own meetings trying to make sales).

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your representatives leads to call, fix things sooner (this agency went without a General Agent for about 3 months), do more sales training, create a less stuffy and "generic corporate" atmosphere.

Great place to work if you are willing to live off of Commission

Financial Services Professional (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time for less than a year

ProsTraining program
Co workers were helpful

ConsNo Base Salary
Commute was tiring

Tough. This is a FULL Commission sales job.

Financial Services Professional (Current Employee)
Walnut Creek, CA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

ProsMake as much $ as you want. You are your own boss.

ConsSh*t home office staff. People there are just stupid and drag a$$ on everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement can suck it. They only watch out for who they choose.

Glorified Sales Job

Financial Services Professional (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time for less than a year

Pros-No micro managing
-Not a 8-5 job
-good training for sales
-nice office
-Products being sold have quality
-company with long history and well known

Cons-Sales position (i.e. lots of cold calling, soliciting, networking, etc...)
-Can't trust anyone (everyone out for themselves)
-No compensation (charged E&O insurance plus office fees)
-Expected to fail (something like 80% or higher turnover for this job)

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more support and infrastructure

Financial Professional

Financial Professional (Former Employee)
Mount Pleasant, SC (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat products to offer both for individuals and businesses

ConsThey focus on putting everyone no matter what age into Whole Life. It's not right as an investment for everyone. They're Term is WAY over priced.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it mandatory for your advisors to get their Series 6/63 so they are not forced to make money via Whole Life off of people when those people should not have whole life.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MassMutual reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for MassMutual CEO Roger W. Crandall. All 255 reviews are posted anonymously by MassMutual employees.