Marshalls

Marshalls Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz

Carol Meyrowitz

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedule, no problem getting time off if requested on time"
    in 15 reviews
  • "It is more a of part-time, short-term kind of job"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "You will be bombarded every FIVE MINUTES to see if you got them a credit card or not"
    in 31 reviews
  • "This leaves me in a position of functioning like a coordinator, but receiving minimum wage"
    in 27 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place to work as a part time, might not consider to go as full time.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at Marshalls part-time for less than a year

ProsNice colleague. Managers are also nice. The upper management team often checks the store and communicates with associates.

ConsSometimes it is extremely busy, sometimes it's extremely slow. Different managers often give out different instructions. It is confusing.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe try to set the same rule for all stores. Because when assistant managers move to another store, they often try to change rules in the new stores to what they had in their old stores. It is really tired for the associates who need to deal with all of this.

Not worth the stress... should have left when I realized something was rotten there...

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Ottawa, ON

I worked at Marshalls part-time for more than a year

ProsI met some AMAZING people there who I still call friends today. You get a 10% discount... (but I believe that's a low benefit considering all the work we do for the company) I guess it's better than nothing. There are lots of things to be done so it makes your shift go by quickly.

ConsWhere do I begin? Every day is chaotic. New associates are trained poorly, which makes senior employees have to work three times as hard to help compensate, and as a result we are yanked in every direction by managers and supervisors every second... resulting in assignments not being completed. Whenever a Supervisor position is available management will always hire from outside sources, and it is frustrating that your supervisor (who gets paid a LOT more than us minimum wage associates) is not fully aware of policies and you in turn have to 'inform' them... in most cases associates are left to train new employees at minimum wage salary. Several associates are hired as part-time and yet a majority work full-time hours without receiving benefits. Past associates were granted raises when they were promoted to full-time, while others who later took their positions were not given one. When I was hired at store open I was paid $10.25/hr, and later got a raise $10.45 after a year of service. Within that year new hires received a starting salary of $10.75, while all the associates who remained from store opening continued to be paid at their 'raise' and expected to train the new hires that were getting paid MORE than us! Over a period of time resentment began to grow... resulting in many associates walking out during their shifts and people no longer showing up never to be heard from again...

Advice to Senior ManagementTREAT YOUR ASSOCIATES WITH RESPECT AND CARE ABOUT THEM!! Without them your store cannot function, and without them there are no sales. Especially with what I said above in the con box considering the unequal pay between associates - this is an unbelievably unfair and goes against your company 'values' of equality, mutual respect and caring!

Satisfying

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marshalls part-time for less than a year

Pros- The people i worked with were very friendly, almost felt like we were a family.
- Managers were friendly, good sense of humor but stern when needed
- downtown location, busy area
- a lot of shifts during the week, even as a part time associate

Cons- some shifts would have more employees needed than usual, forcing some of us to go home early..not always the best
- when it's low traffic flow in the store it's boring

I enjoyed my time working here!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Marshalls part-time for more than a year

ProsThe coworkers were great. Managing team overall was good. Everyone was really nice, I really liked working here. Good work environment.

ConsA lot of work, didn't schedule enough people ever.

An Ideal Part Time Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marshalls part-time for less than a year

ProsFrom the Marshalls I worked, the workers are very nice to each other. When I first started, people introduced themselves to me and made me feel more welcomed.

ConsYou are constantly on your feet and have to deal with the nuttiest customers, although that applies to most stores. Sometimes you need extra help, when customers get hectic.

awesome experience

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
North Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Marshalls part-time for less than a year

Prosyou learn how to sale retail and how the merchandise is placed in the store in each of the departments, you learn about the ticketing the merchandise, and you learn great customer service

Consit's not of enough hours to work because all the upper management get all the hours and the paychecks are small with little hours

Advice to Senior Managementgive more work hours

Merchandise Associate

Merchandise Associate (Current Employee)
Milpitas, CA (US)

I have been working at Marshalls part-time for less than a year

ProsThey encourage diversity. The people are very easy to work with, we help each other.

ConsYou can't plan ahead because the schedule comes in a weekly basis, 2 weeks ahead of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are people who work for decades and still working as how they started. Please give them the opportunity to advance on their career.

Good Experience

I have been working at Marshalls

ProsLots of opportunity to improve processes.

ConsThis is retail...forget about holiday time off.

Good

Cashier (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Marshalls part-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork well with school schedule

ConsToo much stress over TJX Rewards card

Not the best place for long term

I have been working at Marshalls part-time for more than a year

ProsBeing able to see all the merchandise first , and time and a half on Sundays. It is a good job if you are just starting off and looking for a small part time job not a place to be if you are looking for longevity or career advancement

Conspay is horrible you work extremely hard to get paid so little. I don't see it as a company that someone would want to stay at long term it is not worth it at all. The store is open all the time most holidays the store is open and if you do not request the time off in enough time you can bet that you will be working. If you are looking for a career this is not the job for you !

Worked for Marshalls? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marshalls reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Marshalls CEO Carol Meyrowitz . All 322 reviews are posted anonymously by Marshalls employees.