Marshalls

Marshalls Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz

Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for part-timers going to school(in 17 reviews)

• Works as a easy part time job but there is very little potential for growth(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay : raise did not roll over with minimum wage hike(in 37 reviews)

• You will be bombarded every FIVE MINUTES to see if you got them a credit card or not(in 36 reviews)

Good place to work as a part time, might not consider to go as full time.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsNice colleague. Managers are also nice. The upper management team often checks the store and communicates with associates.

ConsSometimes it is extremely busy, sometimes it's extremely slow. Different managers often give out different instructions. It is confusing.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe try to set the same rule for all stores. Because when assistant managers move to another store, they often try to change rules in the new stores to what they had in their old stores. It is really tired for the associates who need to deal with all of this.

Not worth the stress... should have left when I realized something was rotten there...

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsI met some AMAZING people there who I still call friends today. You get a 10% discount... (but I believe that's a low benefit considering all the work we do for the company) I guess it's better than nothing. There are lots of things to be done so it makes your shift go by quickly.

ConsWhere do I begin? Every day is chaotic. New associates are trained poorly, which makes senior employees have to work three times as hard to help compensate, and as a result we are yanked in every direction by managers and supervisors every second... resulting in assignments not being completed. Whenever a Supervisor position is available management will always hire from outside sources, and it is frustrating that your supervisor (who gets paid a LOT more than us minimum wage associates) is not fully aware of policies and you in turn have to 'inform' them... in most cases associates are left to train new employees at minimum wage salary. Several associates are hired as part-time and yet a majority work full-time hours without receiving benefits. Past associates were granted raises when they were promoted to full-time, while others who later took their positions were not given one. When I was hired at store open I was paid $10.25/hr, and later got a raise $10.45 after a year of service. Within that year new hires received a starting salary of $10.75, while all the associates who remained from store opening continued to be paid at their 'raise' and expected to train the new hires that were getting paid MORE than us! Over a period of time resentment began to grow... resulting in many associates walking out during their shifts and people no longer showing up never to be heard from again...

Advice to Senior ManagementTREAT YOUR ASSOCIATES WITH RESPECT AND CARE ABOUT THEM!! Without them your store cannot function, and without them there are no sales. Especially with what I said above in the con box considering the unequal pay between associates - this is an unbelievably unfair and goes against your company 'values' of equality, mutual respect and caring!

Satisfying

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- The people i worked with were very friendly, almost felt like we were a family.
    - Managers were friendly, good sense of humor but stern when needed
    - downtown location, busy area
    - a lot of shifts during the week, even as a part time associate

Cons- some shifts would have more employees needed than usual, forcing some of us to go home early..not always the best
    - when it's low traffic flow in the store it's boring

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoyed my time working here!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe coworkers were great. Managing team overall was good. Everyone was really nice, I really liked working here. Good work environment.

ConsA lot of work, didn't schedule enough people ever.

Be ready for a Roller Coaster Ride

ProsMarshalls is comprised of a very diverse group of associates that work extremely hard to produce results to reach the bottom line. It is amazing to learn about the many different cultures and how such a diverse team may come together to drive results and reach goals. Marshalls is a great company to work for when you are just "passing" through or just looking for something to do on your free time. For instance, if you are a college student or if you have a partner who is able to support you and you are just looking for a little extra money and something interesting to do in your free time. Very flexible hours and scheduling. You want off for 4th of July? No problem if you get your RTO in 3 weeks in advance to the scheduling manager.

ConsBeing said, Marshalls brings together a very talented group of hard-working individuals who strive to keep the company thriving in many different economic times. The cons of this is that these hard-working committed individuals do not always reap the benefits with such little non-competitive pay such as minimum wage. Occasionally, a hard-worker will receive a grant raise but, these are given out so rarely to only one or two individuals the entire year if even. If you are a Manager, be prepared to work every holiday and a lot of nights and weekends, creating very minimal work-life balance. Should you want opportunity to move up efficiently, be ready to relocate--anywhere in the district.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the true foundation of the pyramid--the people. The committed associates who have worked hard to drive results even when the payroll bucket was small--exhibiting more energy and effort to make up for an unrealistic payroll bucket established by Corporate. If Associates were offered competitive pay and not just minimum wage through their experience, then this could solve the problem of turnover being high in some stores due to resignation for a better position. Corporate should communicate more with store-level management to establish connections that could potentially help the bottom line by "listening to learn". Upper Management should utilize leadership principles just as Upper Management preaches to store-level management to utilize it on a daily basis. If Upper Management truly believed in growth and development, there would be a budget for it as well as proper training for the right associates. All of these if fixed could impact the bottom line immensely as well as keep attrition at a healthy level.

Great it is a wonderful environment

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Bronx, NY (US)

ProsIt is fum to work here helping customers get what they want getting feed back on how am doing

ConsWhen a customer gets upset. I try to my extends to calm the person down help the customer and return a smile in their faces

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds a better Management than

Coordinator

Merchandise Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsLove the people that work there. Always something to do to keep you busy. If you love merchandising this is the perfect job.

ConsEasy to move up in company but the pay is not great.

Overall good place to work!

Fitting Room Associate (Former Employee) Snellville, GA (US)

ProsGet to meet new people and have fun helping the guest find that perfect garment or accessory. Great hours and they will work around your life and/or school hours. Nice management and team members.

ConsI didn't like pushing the Marshall's credit card on people. If I asked a guest if he/she were interested and they said no, I didn't persist with the offer.

Its an ok job.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Upland, CA (US)

ProsFlexible with hours. Employees are really good and cool people.

ConsThe customers that shop there and how management handles schedual conflicts and they mess up paychecks.
    Such as if I worked 20 hours Id only get paid for 16. Its not the firts time its happened to me. Around 5-6 times. Makes it seem like they do it on purpose when they are low on payroll.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep up with the paycheck erros.

Challenging

Merchandiser (Current Employee) Mechanicsville, VA (US)

ProsGreat employees good discount no fee in layaway

ConsHard to work with managers good pay

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to employees with respect and follow doctor notes

Worked for Marshalls? Contribute to the Community!