Marshalls

Marshalls Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz

Carol Meyrowitz

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedule, no problem getting time off if requested on time"
    in 15 reviews
  • "It is more a of part-time, short-term kind of job"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "You will be bombarded every FIVE MINUTES to see if you got them a credit card or not"
    in 31 reviews
  • "This leaves me in a position of functioning like a coordinator, but receiving minimum wage"
    in 27 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place to work as a part time, might not consider to go as full time.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at Marshalls part-time for less than a year

ProsNice colleague. Managers are also nice. The upper management team often checks the store and communicates with associates.

ConsSometimes it is extremely busy, sometimes it's extremely slow. Different managers often give out different instructions. It is confusing.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe try to set the same rule for all stores. Because when assistant managers move to another store, they often try to change rules in the new stores to what they had in their old stores. It is really tired for the associates who need to deal with all of this.

Not worth the stress... should have left when I realized something was rotten there...

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Ottawa, ON

I worked at Marshalls part-time for more than a year

ProsI met some AMAZING people there who I still call friends today. You get a 10% discount... (but I believe that's a low benefit considering all the work we do for the company) I guess it's better than nothing. There are lots of things to be done so it makes your shift go by quickly.

ConsWhere do I begin? Every day is chaotic. New associates are trained poorly, which makes senior employees have to work three times as hard to help compensate, and as a result we are yanked in every direction by managers and supervisors every second... resulting in assignments not being completed. Whenever a Supervisor position is available management will always hire from outside sources, and it is frustrating that your supervisor (who gets paid a LOT more than us minimum wage associates) is not fully aware of policies and you in turn have to 'inform' them... in most cases associates are left to train new employees at minimum wage salary. Several associates are hired as part-time and yet a majority work full-time hours without receiving benefits. Past associates were granted raises when they were promoted to full-time, while others who later took their positions were not given one. When I was hired at store open I was paid $10.25/hr, and later got a raise $10.45 after a year of service. Within that year new hires received a starting salary of $10.75, while all the associates who remained from store opening continued to be paid at their 'raise' and expected to train the new hires that were getting paid MORE than us! Over a period of time resentment began to grow... resulting in many associates walking out during their shifts and people no longer showing up never to be heard from again...

Advice to Senior ManagementTREAT YOUR ASSOCIATES WITH RESPECT AND CARE ABOUT THEM!! Without them your store cannot function, and without them there are no sales. Especially with what I said above in the con box considering the unequal pay between associates - this is an unbelievably unfair and goes against your company 'values' of equality, mutual respect and caring!

Satisfying

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marshalls part-time for less than a year

Pros- The people i worked with were very friendly, almost felt like we were a family.
- Managers were friendly, good sense of humor but stern when needed
- downtown location, busy area
- a lot of shifts during the week, even as a part time associate

Cons- some shifts would have more employees needed than usual, forcing some of us to go home early..not always the best
- when it's low traffic flow in the store it's boring

I enjoyed my time working here!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Marshalls part-time for more than a year

ProsThe coworkers were great. Managing team overall was good. Everyone was really nice, I really liked working here. Good work environment.

ConsA lot of work, didn't schedule enough people ever.

awesome experience

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
North Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Marshalls part-time for less than a year

Prosyou learn how to sale retail and how the merchandise is placed in the store in each of the departments, you learn about the ticketing the merchandise, and you learn great customer service

Consit's not of enough hours to work because all the upper management get all the hours and the paychecks are small with little hours

Advice to Senior Managementgive more work hours

Merchandise Associate

Merchandise Associate (Current Employee)
Milpitas, CA (US)

I have been working at Marshalls part-time for less than a year

ProsThey encourage diversity. The people are very easy to work with, we help each other.

ConsYou can't plan ahead because the schedule comes in a weekly basis, 2 weeks ahead of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are people who work for decades and still working as how they started. Please give them the opportunity to advance on their career.

Good Experience

I have been working at Marshalls

ProsLots of opportunity to improve processes.

ConsThis is retail...forget about holiday time off.

Good

Cashier (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Marshalls part-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork well with school schedule

ConsToo much stress over TJX Rewards card

Marshalls is an unfair place to work at least my store was.

Front End Co Coordinator (Former Employee)
Louisville, KY (US)

I worked at Marshalls full-time for more than 10 years

Prosfriendly staff and customers. Good to have 20% weekends,

ConsWhere to start. My lady boss was always on the customers side even when they attacked me for doing EXACTLY what my female store manager TOLD me to do. Nothing more embarrassing then to explain a company policy to a customer only to have my store manager come up and OK to break the policy and make ME look like an idiot. And another thing was that my manager upheld the policies EXCEPT for her PETS,they seemed to slide under the carpet and I'm referring to mainly tardiness and call offs by certain employees.
For her PETS,the female store manager would seemingly turn her hear the other way and I think one time one of the assistant managers was about to get her in deep trouble for fixing the records on certain employees and that manager suddenly went away without ANY notice to the workers and we really liked this manager. She is an unfair manager and NEEDS real PEOPLE SKILLS as she DOES NOT have ANY. She NEVER listens to the associates. I'm glad I don't work there anymore as there are better places to work!!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys should make the store manager go through some kind of training program to get some PEOPLE SKILLS and not just say what we want to hear. And all of that fake greeting of the customers. Customers know that there is no real sincerity in her greetings,so why even bother. But all of us employees were told we HAD to smile and greet customers even when the customer were rude.

I currently work part-time for Marshalls.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marshalls part-time for more than a year

ProsMarshalls allows you to choose which hours and days are best for you to be scheduled to work. They encourage you to approach management with any concerns or dissatisfactions.

ConsThe pay is minimum wage. Last year I received an "average" rating in my review. I am not an average worker; I always try my best to help every customer that approaches me and go out of my way to find what they need. My "average" rating got me a 13 cent per hour raise, which is insulting. I was, however, offered the chance to apply to become a coordinator. I turned it down, mainly because the operations manager is a very difficult man to work with. He is very insulting, unprofessional, and condescending and I would not want to work any more closely with him than I am currently required. My main complaint with our store is that most of the time there is no loss-prevention representative, and no security. We have shoplifters come in very frequently. Two days ago, at closing time with just five female employees working, six thugs came in, stated that they had a gun, and went around the store hollering. When they left, they said they'd be back the next day. I learned that not only were the police not contacted, but that management had not even mentioned the incident to the workers that weren't present, not giving them the opportunity to decide whether it was safe for them to continue to work at Marshalls.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to train the managers in "people skills". You need to pay the workers higher than minimum wage, and you need to make their yearly reviews meaningful by actually rewarding good work with a decent salary increase. Most important of all, you need to treat your employees the way you would want your loved ones to be treated: if a store desperately needs visible security, with an armed officer if necessary, you should provide it. You need a loss-prevention officer on duty at all times. The employees and customers need to see that you take their safety seriously.

Worked for Marshalls? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marshalls reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Marshalls CEO Carol Meyrowitz . All 320 reviews are posted anonymously by Marshalls employees.