Marshalls Reviews

Updated 29 October, 2014
2.8

Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for part-timers going to school (in 21 reviews)

• Works as a easy part time job but there is very little potential for growth (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, your weekly hours are sometimes contingent on how many credit cards you are pushing (in 44 reviews)

• Very low pay : raise did not roll over with minimum wage hike (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work as a part time, might not consider to go as full time.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Marshalls part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice colleague. Managers are also nice. The upper management team often checks the store and communicates with associates.

Cons

Sometimes it is extremely busy, sometimes it's extremely slow. Different managers often give out different instructions. It is confusing.

Maybe try to set the same rule for all stores. Because when assistant managers move to another store, they often try to change rules in the new stores to what they had in their old stores. It is really tired for the associates who need to deal with all of this.

Not worth the stress... should have left when I realized something was rotten there...

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Marshalls part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I met some AMAZING people there who I still call friends today. You get a 10% discount... (but I believe that's a low benefit considering all the work we do for the company) I guess it's better than nothing. There are lots of things to be done so it makes your shift go by quickly.

Cons

Where do I begin? Every day is chaotic. New associates are trained poorly, which makes senior employees have to work three times as hard to help compensate, and as a result we are yanked in every direction by managers and supervisors every second... resulting in assignments not being completed. Whenever a Supervisor position is available management will always hire from outside sources, and it is frustrating that your supervisor (who gets paid a LOT more than us minimum wage associates) is not fully aware of policies and you in turn have to 'inform' them... in most cases associates are left to train new employees at minimum wage salary. Several associates are hired as part-time and yet a majority work full-time hours without receiving benefits. Past associates were granted raises when they were promoted to full-time, while others who later took their positions were not given one. When I was hired at store open I was paid $10.25/hr, and later got a raise $10.45 after a year of service. Within that year new hires received a starting salary of $10.75, while all the associates who remained from store opening continued to be paid at their 'raise' and expected to train the new hires that were getting paid MORE than us! Over a period of time resentment began to grow... resulting in many associates walking out during their shifts and people no longer showing up never to be heard from again...

TREAT YOUR ASSOCIATES WITH RESPECT AND CARE ABOUT THEM!! Without them your store cannot function, and without them there are no sales. Especially with what I said above in the con box considering the unequal pay between associates - this is an unbelievably unfair and goes against your company 'values' of equality, mutual respect and caring!

Satisfying

I worked at Marshalls part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- The people i worked with were very friendly, almost felt like we were a family.
    - Managers were friendly, good sense of humor but stern when needed
    - downtown location, busy area
    - a lot of shifts during the week, even as a part time associate

Cons

- some shifts would have more employees needed than usual, forcing some of us to go home early..not always the best
    - when it's low traffic flow in the store it's boring

I enjoyed my time working here!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Marshalls part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The coworkers were great. Managing team overall was good. Everyone was really nice, I really liked working here. Good work environment.

Cons

A lot of work, didn't schedule enough people ever.

They try to screw you over with pay

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Marshalls

Pros

Good hours, nice people, you can wear any kind of shirt you want, 10% employee discount, good for first jobs

Cons

Horrible pay, can't show tattoos, long interview process, extremely busy, boring work, sometimes we have rude customers, not very flexible.

Good first job

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Marshalls part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paycheck every Friday is nice
    the managers are pretty nice and helpful
    Flexible schedule

Cons

constantly pester about credit card
    low pay
    found the job really boring and didn't look forward to working
    one time when i first started they put me in the fitting room without any training but an associate came & helped me later

OK

I have been working at Marshalls

Pros

my fellow employees, guests were overall friendly

Cons

pushing the credit cards and some management

Very unorganized opening up a new store.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bronx, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bronx, NY (US)

I have been working at Marshalls part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay every week on fridays.

Cons

Getting along with people with various attitudes.

Be organized.

I have enjoyed the experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Marshalls part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been working here for almost three years during my college career. They are very flexible with my schedule, but during the summer there aren't guaranteed hours so I always have to keep a second job.

Cons

I work in a busy area so sometimes customers can be overly rude.

Don't keep a supervisor around that consistently cause confrontation with the majority of the store employees without ever writing the person up because it cause a strain on employees and their ability to perform their job to the level of satisfaction they desire.

Overall good, but I've recently been put under a store manager who is being allowed to stunt my growth.

I have been working at Marshalls full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They are lenient with work schedules, They have great opportunities for advancement. The benefits for full-time benefits are great

Cons

The workload is far too high for the pay. Store Managers don't seem to be held to the same standards as everyone else.

Great opportunity for advancement, unless you find yourself under the leadership of a store manager who does not have your best intentions at heart. If you find yourself in that situation, you have to communicate your concerns to your district manager.

Marshalls Photos

The great move...store is beautiful!
Marshalls