www.marshallsonline.com

Updated 16 December, 2014
2.7

Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for part-timers going to school (in 24 reviews)

• Works as a easy part time job but there is very little potential for growth (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, your weekly hours are sometimes contingent on how many credit cards you are pushing (in 46 reviews)

• Very low pay : raise did not roll over with minimum wage hike (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Ajax, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Ajax, ON

I worked at Marshalls part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- food
    - good friends made
    - knowing when sales were
    - good for part time job

Cons

-mean managers
    - 0 freedom
    - heavy work load
    -minimum wage

Not worth the stress... should have left when I realized something was rotten there...

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Marshalls part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I met some AMAZING people there who I still call friends today. You get a 10% discount... (but I believe that's a low benefit considering all the work we do for the company) I guess it's better than nothing. There are lots of things to be done so it makes your shift go by quickly.

Cons

Where do I begin? Every day is chaotic. New associates are trained poorly, which makes senior employees have to work three times as hard to help compensate, and as a result we are yanked in every direction by managers and supervisors every second... resulting in assignments not being completed. Whenever a Supervisor position is available management will always hire from outside sources, and it is frustrating that your supervisor (who gets paid a LOT more than us minimum wage associates) is not fully aware of policies and you in turn have to 'inform' them... in most cases associates are left to train new employees at minimum wage salary. Several associates are hired as part-time and yet a majority work full-time hours without receiving benefits. Past associates were granted raises when they were promoted to full-time, while others who later took their positions were not given one. When I was hired at store open I was paid $10.25/hr, and later got a raise $10.45 after a year of service. Within that year new hires received a starting salary of $10.75, while all the associates who remained from store opening continued to be paid at their 'raise' and expected to train the new hires that were getting paid MORE than us! Over a period of time resentment began to grow... resulting in many associates walking out during their shifts and people no longer showing up never to be heard from again...

TREAT YOUR ASSOCIATES WITH RESPECT AND CARE ABOUT THEM!! Without them your store cannot function, and without them there are no sales. Especially with what I said above in the con box considering the unequal pay between associates - this is an unbelievably unfair and goes against your company 'values' of equality, mutual respect and caring!

Good place to work as a part time, might not consider to go as full time.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Marshalls part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice colleague. Managers are also nice. The upper management team often checks the store and communicates with associates.

Cons

Sometimes it is extremely busy, sometimes it's extremely slow. Different managers often give out different instructions. It is confusing.

Maybe try to set the same rule for all stores. Because when assistant managers move to another store, they often try to change rules in the new stores to what they had in their old stores. It is really tired for the associates who need to deal with all of this.

Satisfying

I worked at Marshalls part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- The people i worked with were very friendly, almost felt like we were a family.
    - Managers were friendly, good sense of humor but stern when needed
    - downtown location, busy area
    - a lot of shifts during the week, even as a part time associate

Cons

- some shifts would have more employees needed than usual, forcing some of us to go home early..not always the best
    - when it's low traffic flow in the store it's boring

I enjoyed my time working here!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Marshalls part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The coworkers were great. Managing team overall was good. Everyone was really nice, I really liked working here. Good work environment.

Cons

A lot of work, didn't schedule enough people ever.

Some what decent with the right management

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Marshalls part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you have management that doesn't talk crap about their employees you'll have a decent time working at marshalls

Cons

You find yourself being degraded by some customers because they have bad returns, management where I worked walked all over their employees and talked behind everyone back which resulted in some of their best employees to walk out on them

Please listen to your employees, and please stop acting like high school girls gossiping

store manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Marshalls

Pros

great life/work balance as far as hours go. Most of the upper management is nice and respectful.

Cons

the company is very legal, everything that is done or rolled out is based on either being sued for something or will we be sued for something. they like to cover their butts.
    don't try to stop shoplifters, you will get fired!

your loosing good managers due to your policies on shoplifting.

Ok

I have been working at Marshalls

Pros

Weekly pay
    good for a high school student

Cons

minimum wage
    want you to work like a dog for very little money

A considerable workplace but lacking representatives

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pico Rivera, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pico Rivera, CA (US)

I worked at Marshalls

Pros

From my short sentence being there I presumed that it was relatively easy to obtain a leadership position if you showed that you worked hard and proved to the management team that you were capable of doing so. It just might take a couple of years to get there. They allowed you to have some flexibility to your schedule but you had to have a deliberate excuse to not be there; as to be in school, for instance. Employees were very professional and had sincere personalities. Would work with them again.

Cons

Not enough employees worked at the facility so we were always short of staff. Had to learn some training on my own through a binder on my spare time, if any.

Hire more employees.

Good company but demands a lot with unrealistic expectations

Former Employee - Coordinator
    Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at Marshalls full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule management very supportive

Cons

Corporate dictates a lot of "cubical ideas" when if they spent a month in the stores they would see they are unrealistic and with expectations to get all freight to floor, chief excellent customer service and don't forget to push customers to fill out credit card applications

Corporate management needs to go into the stores and work it for a month and remember what it feels like and have them drive customer service and get customers to sign up for TJX credit card on top of pushing all of the freight out of the back room.. They have very unrealistic expectations

Marshalls Photos

The great move...store is beautiful!
breakroom