www.marshallsonline.com

Updated 26 February, 2015
2.8

Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for part-timers going to school (in 24 reviews)

• Works as a easy part time job but there is very little potential for growth (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, your weekly hours are sometimes contingent on how many credit cards you are pushing (in 46 reviews)

• Very low pay : raise did not roll over with minimum wage hike (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Not worth it

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Marshalls

Pros

If you need a bare minimum job this is it

Cons

bad pay
    Over worked
    Egotistical managers

treat others how you'd like to be treated.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Ajax, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Ajax, ON

I worked at Marshalls part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- food
    - good friends made
    - knowing when sales were
    - good for part time job

Cons

-mean managers
    - 0 freedom
    - heavy work load
    -minimum wage

Not worth the stress... should have left when I realized something was rotten there...

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Marshalls part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I met some AMAZING people there who I still call friends today. You get a 10% discount... (but I believe that's a low benefit considering all the work we do for the company) I guess it's better than nothing. There are lots of things to be done so it makes your shift go by quickly.

Cons

Where do I begin? Every day is chaotic. New associates are trained poorly, which makes senior employees have to work three times as hard to help compensate, and as a result we are yanked in every direction by managers and supervisors every second... resulting in assignments not being completed. Whenever a Supervisor position is available management will always hire from outside sources, and it is frustrating that your supervisor (who gets paid a LOT more than us minimum wage associates) is not fully aware of policies and you in turn have to 'inform' them... in most cases associates are left to train new employees at minimum wage salary. Several associates are hired as part-time and yet a majority work full-time hours without receiving benefits. Past associates were granted raises when they were promoted to full-time, while others who later took their positions were not given one. When I was hired at store open I was paid $10.25/hr, and later got a raise $10.45 after a year of service. Within that year new hires received a starting salary of $10.75, while all the associates who remained from store opening continued to be paid at their 'raise' and expected to train the new hires that were getting paid MORE than us! Over a period of time resentment began to grow... resulting in many associates walking out during their shifts and people no longer showing up never to be heard from again...

TREAT YOUR ASSOCIATES WITH RESPECT AND CARE ABOUT THEM!! Without them your store cannot function, and without them there are no sales. Especially with what I said above in the con box considering the unequal pay between associates - this is an unbelievably unfair and goes against your company 'values' of equality, mutual respect and caring!

Good place to work as a part time, might not consider to go as full time.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Marshalls part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice colleague. Managers are also nice. The upper management team often checks the store and communicates with associates.

Cons

Sometimes it is extremely busy, sometimes it's extremely slow. Different managers often give out different instructions. It is confusing.

Maybe try to set the same rule for all stores. Because when assistant managers move to another store, they often try to change rules in the new stores to what they had in their old stores. It is really tired for the associates who need to deal with all of this.

Satisfying

I worked at Marshalls part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- The people i worked with were very friendly, almost felt like we were a family.
    - Managers were friendly, good sense of humor but stern when needed
    - downtown location, busy area
    - a lot of shifts during the week, even as a part time associate

Cons

- some shifts would have more employees needed than usual, forcing some of us to go home early..not always the best
    - when it's low traffic flow in the store it's boring

I enjoyed my time working here!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Marshalls part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The coworkers were great. Managing team overall was good. Everyone was really nice, I really liked working here. Good work environment.

Cons

A lot of work, didn't schedule enough people ever.

Started as a sales associate, got promoted after 3 months to Merchandise Coordinator, then CEC Coordinator.

Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Lakewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Lakewood, CO (US)

I worked at Marshalls full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly customers for the most part, good company values, insurance is possible to attain. I was always treated professionally in general.

Cons

Compensation is very low for the amount of work expectations, training needs to be better, favoritism, customers are very untidy in store, much employee turnover. Extra workload falls to staff on duty when there are excessive call-outs among staff.

More fairness among employees who are loyal to the company, better scheduling. Expect more professionalism from employees. Better ability to keep store staffed.

Great Experience!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Marshalls part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great company that actually cares about their Sales Associates, flexible hours, friendly people, and happy upbeat environment. Also, paid orientation and you get a raise after working there for 6 months.

Cons

You have to learn every job.

Marshalls

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in East Point, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in East Point, GA (US)

I have been working at Marshalls full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Marshalls is a great place to work

Cons

Marshalls at times can be overwhelming

not easy, wouldn't reccomend anyone to work here?

I have been working at Marshalls

Pros

good co workers and great break time while your there. never really have any problems with the customers or managers.

Cons

They ask way too much for the amount they pay you. sometimes they schedule you for only one or two days a week, and only for like 5 hours. you wouldnt like there at al.

stop being so hard to your empolyes and jus enjoy the job. :)

Marshalls Photos

The great move...store is beautiful!
breakroom