Marshalls

Updated 1 October, 2014
2.8

Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for part-timers going to school (in 19 reviews)

• Works as a easy part time job but there is very little potential for growth (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay : raise did not roll over with minimum wage hike (in 41 reviews)

• I also understand that we have to push a store brand credit card to customers (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work as a part time, might not consider to go as full time.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Marshalls part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice colleague. Managers are also nice. The upper management team often checks the store and communicates with associates.

Cons

Sometimes it is extremely busy, sometimes it's extremely slow. Different managers often give out different instructions. It is confusing.

Maybe try to set the same rule for all stores. Because when assistant managers move to another store, they often try to change rules in the new stores to what they had in their old stores. It is really tired for the associates who need to deal with all of this.

Not worth the stress... should have left when I realized something was rotten there...

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Marshalls part-time for more than a year

Pros

I met some AMAZING people there who I still call friends today. You get a 10% discount... (but I believe that's a low benefit considering all the work we do for the company) I guess it's better than nothing. There are lots of things to be done so it makes your shift go by quickly.

Cons

Where do I begin? Every day is chaotic. New associates are trained poorly, which makes senior employees have to work three times as hard to help compensate, and as a result we are yanked in every direction by managers and supervisors every second... resulting in assignments not being completed. Whenever a Supervisor position is available management will always hire from outside sources, and it is frustrating that your supervisor (who gets paid a LOT more than us minimum wage associates) is not fully aware of policies and you in turn have to 'inform' them... in most cases associates are left to train new employees at minimum wage salary. Several associates are hired as part-time and yet a majority work full-time hours without receiving benefits. Past associates were granted raises when they were promoted to full-time, while others who later took their positions were not given one. When I was hired at store open I was paid $10.25/hr, and later got a raise $10.45 after a year of service. Within that year new hires received a starting salary of $10.75, while all the associates who remained from store opening continued to be paid at their 'raise' and expected to train the new hires that were getting paid MORE than us! Over a period of time resentment began to grow... resulting in many associates walking out during their shifts and people no longer showing up never to be heard from again...

TREAT YOUR ASSOCIATES WITH RESPECT AND CARE ABOUT THEM!! Without them your store cannot function, and without them there are no sales. Especially with what I said above in the con box considering the unequal pay between associates - this is an unbelievably unfair and goes against your company 'values' of equality, mutual respect and caring!

Satisfying

I worked at Marshalls part-time for less than a year

Pros

- The people i worked with were very friendly, almost felt like we were a family.
    - Managers were friendly, good sense of humor but stern when needed
    - downtown location, busy area
    - a lot of shifts during the week, even as a part time associate

Cons

- some shifts would have more employees needed than usual, forcing some of us to go home early..not always the best
    - when it's low traffic flow in the store it's boring

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoyed my time working here!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Marshalls part-time for more than a year

Pros

The coworkers were great. Managing team overall was good. Everyone was really nice, I really liked working here. Good work environment.

Cons

A lot of work, didn't schedule enough people ever.

Not a bad place

Former Employee - Loss Prevention
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention

I worked at Marshalls full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule. Management will work with you.

Cons

Some co-workers can be lazy at times.

Loved my job. Was recruited to more stable job environment recently.

I have been working at Marshalls full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They will promote from within. Flexible hours. Rotten pay and no benefits unless you are full-time. No benefits either if you are not full time.

Cons

My boss broke so many company rules and corporate looked the other way. You get trained if you are a favorite. Otherwise, it is put up or shut up!

The culture per the handbook is great if it is upheld.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Las Cruces, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Las Cruces, CA (US)

I have been working at Marshalls part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great and helpful co-workers! They were also flexible with my school schedule.

Cons

Low starting pay, but with retail experience you might be able to negotiate.

Great company, but...

Current Employee - Operations Assistant Store Manager  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Marshalls full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Competitive salary, full benefits program

Cons

Beyond the initial 5 week training, few opportunities exist for further formal training, unless at SM level. Standard requests met with: Look it up in E-Library. There are few opportunities to participate in or provide input to merchandising or operational decisions. It's the Marshalls Way: deliver the programs, and everything is a program. At Leadership Conference this year, managers told: If we wanted you to think, we'd pay you more!
    There is NO passion for the merchandise. Store is open floor plan.
    Often missing basics and trends...'that's just off price retail'.
    Payroll inadequate to fully staff floor and programs. Programs devour most of the payroll.
    Service level...Store environment...Not priority.
    Get it in...Get it out...Ring it up...
    Serious disconnect between senior leadership and store level.
    Carol...Ernie...Amy!
    Get out of your offices!
    Talk to your people!
    Find out what's really happening in your stores!!!
    Unfiltered by district managers, regional managers, zone managers!

Carefully consider whether you can work 'the Marshalls Way'

Great place to learn and grow

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Detroit, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI (US)

I worked at Marshalls full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a great company to learn and grow with. There's always opportunity if you work hard and do your job.

Cons

It's hard to hire good people because the pay is low. But once they come to work here, they usually stay. Management sometimes is overworked making them hard to deal with

Better pay!

Great place

Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant Manager  in  Laguna Hills, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant Manager in Laguna Hills, CA (US)

I have been working at Marshalls full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You can request days off, great benefits after a year of employment. Very flexible work schedule if you work part-time.

Cons

If your store doesn't have enough payroll, you'll end up doing most of the work.

Marshalls Photos

The great move...store is beautiful!
Marshalls
breakroom

+ Add Photo

Worked for Marshalls? Contribute to the Community!