Marsh & McLennan Companies

Updated 19 October, 2014
3.2

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management (in 13 reviews)

• long hours and not the best management structure in place (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst job

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Urbandale, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Urbandale, IA (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing was good, except compensating time when working oncall

Cons

Horrible hours, worked you like a slave driver, niche jobs (no moving up from within) and bad pay

Could have had better compensations/pay and lay off the fear based management

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Local Technology Coordinator
    Current Employee - Local Technology Coordinator

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

Working in IT is never boring- competitive pay, job security, and daily challenges to keep work interesting.

Cons

You work with people who have just become used to their daily routines, can be extremely condescending to support staff, and are already somewhat jaded with their expectations (even though they also refuse to follow processes). Being client facing tends to be a "punching bag" role that quickly gets old. People tend to become "buddy-buddy" to skip procedure yet tend to not know your name.

Keep doing what you do.

Worst job I ever had

Former Employee - Service Specialist II in Urbandale, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Service Specialist II in Urbandale, IA (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no positive things to say about working here!

Cons

No raises, focused more on rewarding management than those actually doing the work

You need to realize who is actually doing the work and stop rewarding those who aren't!

Great people! Workload issues. Clearly value external over internal candidates

Former Employee - Insurance Broker
    Former Employee - Insurance Broker

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, awesome health plan, smart, fun co-workers, many opportunities to learn subject matter very well

Cons

Value external candidates over internal candidates, everyone is overworked and stressed, you can only get the salary for your peer-group if you threaten to leave, poor performers are not fired, just starved out.

Stop trying to 100% de-risk your business. It sends a message to clients that you aren't willing to stand by your work and puts you in a vulnerable position. Clients will start to think "Gee, if I am constantly being told I have to check my broker's work, why shouldn't an online quote service do this same thing I thought I was paying for expertise"

Stop burning out your best people, they are the product you are selling.

Give some actual power to give promotions, make compensation decisions, and fire people etc. to office heads, zone leaders, or even managers. Its very clear their hands are 100% tied to do right by their best people.

Work hard, play hard! If you like the pressure and buzz, you'll succeed here

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits
    Leadership and vision
    Company profile and external recognition
    Global brand
    Strong ethical values & excellent diversity and inclusion drive

Cons

1) Some existing employees have been here to long and are stopping the new leadership to implement the much required change. Stop moaning and move on guys, let us make this place better without your nagging...
    2) Brand could be a bit more visible externally
    3) work life balance....hmmm...that's tricky, however again if you want to progress and get to the top this is a sacrifice in many other organisations too

Be tougher on low perfromers and sickness to create room for people who would love the opportunity to work here!

Fantastic Employer, with great colleagues

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Colleagues. The benefits are amazing and the leadership is the best in the industry. The company is worldwide and has more of a partnership philosophy. The colleagues in my office have an average of 25 years experience in the industry and take pride in their job. The knowledge among the colleagues and teams are a huge asset and a great resource.

Cons

The challenges are the company is large and there a several processes to work through get a simple task completed. This in result makes it very difficult to manage a task or project in a timely manner.

Listen to those who are out there actually working with the clients. Those individuals know what the clients want and how they want the services delivered.

Great company, needs work

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary and Bonuses
    Benefits (although declining)
    Great culture

Cons

Lack of leadership
    Dinosaur to make anything happen

Nothing

Good in the beginning, awful after "so called" transformation

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In major markets, it is good to have this company on your resume. In smaller markets, companies don't know who we are.

Cons

Outsourcing many functions to India or moving functions to cheaper parts of the country. This only saves money up front but the loss of knowledge and good talent is more expensive. They need to quit letting people with knowledge leave only to hire replacements that do not know what they are doing. Specifically to Recruiting, managers need to quit accusing and blaming people with false and inaccurate information. If you are looking to Recruit, this is not good environment to work in presently. Heavily overworked and understaffed employees. There is no real advancement for anyone in Recruiting.

Large Company, With a Large Company pace towards Technology

Pros

Cons

If you work in the IT/Software groups within MMC, you can become very frustrated with the red tape when trying to infuse change. Compensation is OK. Expenditures are very conservative.

Those in IT/Software groups within MMC need to be empowered and given the opportunity for creativity.

MGTI : Milton Keynes - A Fear based environment & perception based actions/reactions

Current Employee - FLA At MGTI in Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - FLA At MGTI in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm only speaking of the IT Dept MGTI based in Milton Keynes : This is a really huge company, that DOES have a large number of vacancies, and at times has some really great things to offer any employee. To gain extremely recognizable Corporate experience... this is a good place to be.

Cons

I'm only speaking of the IT Dept MGTI based in Milton Keynes : The environment is fear based. It's very questioning and demanding of answers when things go wrong, with very little being learned from this.

A large number of workplace decisions are based on perception. Rarely do people ask questions about that perception, to make sure, there is actual fact. But, this isn't even something that's hidden... Some managers seem proud of this. Frequently in my early days I was told by my management team "perception is everything"...

There is a significant case of "old boys club" going on here. You can not be fantastic at the real meat and gravy of your role, so long as you remember two things... The rule about perception, and being on great terms with certain members of management.

Perception IS an excellent tool, but only to decide what questions to ask. It shouldn't be used to judge people, or make decisions.

Marsh & McLennan Companies Photos