Marsh & McLennan Companies

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser

Daniel S. Glaser

Pros:
  • "They try to respect work/life balance in many positions (not all)"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Good benefits - particularly the health insurance"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management"
    in 13 reviews
  • "You can be expected to work long hours at times"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

claims consultant

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Prosinteresting work, autonomy - if you are extremely conscientious and thrive on work - this is the place for you - there is an excess of work for some consultants

ConsManagement is self aware but not employee aware - lack of recognition of the amount of work and lack of support for claims employees other than management. Department crossover understanding lacking - insufficient employees for work expected very stressful - claims department staff detached from the rest of the company

Advice to Senior Managementbe more responsive to intermediate employee needs, expect to pay a decent wage to get competent support staff - actually hire support staff - claims department is pared down - too far for the work expected

20th century administration in the midst of 21st century tools

Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for less than a year

ProsGlobal reach, range of services

ConsZero innovation, arrogant management, inefficient operations

Advice to Senior ManagementUnleash the analysts

Positve

Assistant Vice-President (Current Employee)

ProsLots of knowledge sharing
Good internal protocols
Responsible Management

Cons* No transparency in pay. Seems other industries pay more
* Lots of Transparency and internal audit requirements - takes away from servicing clientele

Marsh

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

ProsThey seem to make strides to listen to their employees, We get to work someone close to the suits. It's a top risk management company found around the world.

ConsMy supervisor is terrible and makes me hate going to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf there is a lot of turnover in a specific department. Take a look in the mirror, as it's likely one of your present staff members that is scaring people away.

Marsh is a key player in the Brokerage Industry and provides access to great clients.

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros- large organization with lots of resources to leverage specific expertise.
- strong benefits and pension plan
- salaries are competitive
- strong communication within Canada and U.S.
- name recognition in the brokerage industry
- has some of the best and largest clients

Cons- bonuses could be more transparent and competitive
- have had some difficult years with respect to performance in the U.S.
- political challenges with having a head office outside of Canada

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that you make a focus on building a program for increasing your university intake. The Risk Analyst program is something that puts you ahead of your competitors.

Tax Attorney

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis company is a great place to work. Fantastic benefits and a great work-life balance. Smart people and not too political. Tons of vacation time and separate sick days makes it very accommodating. Subsidized cafeteria makes lunch cheap, and in-building gym is super convenient. Super stable environment and company. Great for someone not looking for a crazy lifestyle.

ConsI didn't find any cons, except for the slow pace - at times it can be inert. Bonuses didn't increase, nor did salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp create more projects for everyone to keep people busy. Give them real goals. And deadlines. Create more cross-department interaction and training programs - anything to bring more visibility between departments.

Overall positive, but with an odd new annoyance policy popping up every far-too-often

IT Professional (Current Employee)
Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsHigh pay, professional environment, opportunities available for those who want them

ConsWhile you can move up, it certainly seems to be a long wait at the moment, with little to no growth in higher teams at the moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the decisions filtering down to the lower ranks seem thoroughly misguided, nothing hugely significant, just things that should have never been signed off on, including certain program updates, particular goals and targets (and the repercussions of not hitting them) and aspects of the security and validation policy. There is a culture of keeping all the boxes green on a spreadsheet, rather than looking with any detail into what they mean or why they are there.

Great place to grow a diverse career

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLot of great people to work with, very diverse skill sets and capabilities to learn from. Great opportunities to move within the businesses if you want to

ConsToo cost focused at times on things that undermine the culture and make people feel disengaged

sd

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

ProsGreat folks and culture f

ConsNot very exciting environment n

Be patient

Placement Specialist (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsLargest broker in the world. Segmented groups allow for greater focus and expertise. The majority of employees have positive attitudes and enjoy what they do. Numerous employees that left the firm have come back proving that the grass isn't always greener.

ConsCorporate structure can be slow at times. Not necessarily a con, but you will need to be patient to see large pay increase.

Worked for Marsh & McLennan Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Marsh & McLennan Companies – Why Work for Us?

Marsh and McLennan Companies is the premier global professional services firm, providing advice and solutions in the areas of risk, strategy and human capital. Through our market leading brands: Marsh, Oliver Wyman… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marsh & McLennan Companies reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Marsh & McLennan Companies CEO Daniel S. Glaser. All 271 reviews are posted anonymously by Marsh & McLennan Companies employees.