Marsh & McLennan Companies

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser

Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition(in 26 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management(in 13 reviews)

• long hours and not the best management structure in place(in 8 reviews)

Career High

Assistant Vice-President (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsCompensation, collaborative culture, professionalism, global opportunities

ConsCompliance can bog down the truly meaningful work, but it's minor and necessary

Data Administrator

Pros- Working with immedatiate team members is positive
    - Great flexibility with vacation - except for month end
    -Christmas gatherings

Cons- Very little room for growth for employees at the lower end of the scale.
    - HUGE communication gap among colleagues.
    - Some employees tend to pawn off the work onto other colleagues and fear change and do not embrace new business processes. Senior veterans who have been with the company for ages cannot think outside the box and thus tend to like a lot of hand holding.

Advice to Senior Management-Give credit where credit is due. The company boasts about further learning and career development but management needs to reinforce this and look out for every employee under their wing. This should not be limited to individuals with senior roles.
    -Improve communication within deparments and make sure the message conveyed is uniform.
    -Consider revising the compensation matrix for all departments. Upper management tend to get bigger pay increases and bonuses, while the reamining employees get a 1% raise. In today's economy, the base salary for junior roles are well under the poverty line which is unfair. Take home pay amounts to nothing.
    - Look past the politics and power trip. Employees need to get the work done right to make the environment a good workplace for everyone.

Great Management and Fun Environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosgreat team environment, no job to small for Sr. Associates to get involved with, great learning experience

ConsVery difficult t get perm., processes for Canada seem to be disbursed globally

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have the right people in charge, great relationships with their staff and very turned on

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

20th century administration in the midst of 21st century tools

Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsGlobal reach, range of services

ConsZero innovation, arrogant management, inefficient operations

Advice to Senior ManagementUnleash the analysts

claims consultant

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

Prosinteresting work, autonomy - if you are extremely conscientious and thrive on work - this is the place for you - there is an excess of work for some consultants

ConsManagement is self aware but not employee aware - lack of recognition of the amount of work and lack of support for claims employees other than management. Department crossover understanding lacking - insufficient employees for work expected very stressful - claims department staff detached from the rest of the company

Advice to Senior Managementbe more responsive to intermediate employee needs, expect to pay a decent wage to get competent support staff - actually hire support staff - claims department is pared down - too far for the work expected

Positve

Assistant Vice-President (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsLots of knowledge sharing
    Good internal protocols
    Responsible Management

Cons* No transparency in pay. Seems other industries pay more
    * Lots of Transparency and internal audit requirements - takes away from servicing clientele

Marsh is a key player in the Brokerage Industry and provides access to great clients.

Human Resources (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros- large organization with lots of resources to leverage specific expertise.
    - strong benefits and pension plan
    - salaries are competitive
    - strong communication within Canada and U.S.
    - name recognition in the brokerage industry
    - has some of the best and largest clients

Cons- bonuses could be more transparent and competitive
    - have had some difficult years with respect to performance in the U.S.
    - political challenges with having a head office outside of Canada

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that you make a focus on building a program for increasing your university intake. The Risk Analyst program is something that puts you ahead of your competitors.

Marsh

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThey seem to make strides to listen to their employees, We get to work someone close to the suits. It's a top risk management company found around the world.

ConsMy supervisor is terrible and makes me hate going to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf there is a lot of turnover in a specific department. Take a look in the mirror, as it's likely one of your present staff members that is scaring people away.

Great people! Workload issues. Clearly value external over internal candidates

Insurance Broker (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, awesome health plan, smart, fun co-workers, many opportunities to learn subject matter very well

ConsValue external candidates over internal candidates, everyone is overworked and stressed, you can only get the salary for your peer-group if you threaten to leave, poor performers are not fired, just starved out.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to 100% de-risk your business. It sends a message to clients that you aren't willing to stand by your work and puts you in a vulnerable position. Clients will start to think "Gee, if I am constantly being told I have to check my broker's work, why shouldn't an online quote service do this same thing I thought I was paying for expertise"

Stop burning out your best people, they are the product you are selling.

Give some actual power to give promotions, make compensation decisions, and fire people etc. to office heads, zone leaders, or even managers. Its very clear their hands are 100% tied to do right by their best people.

Great company to work for!

Local Technology Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsWorking in IT is never boring- competitive pay, job security, and daily challenges to keep work interesting.

ConsYou work with people who have just become used to their daily routines, can be extremely condescending to support staff, and are already somewhat jaded with their expectations (even though they also refuse to follow processes). Being client facing tends to be a "punching bag" role that quickly gets old. People tend to become "buddy-buddy" to skip procedure yet tend to not know your name.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do.

Worked for Marsh & McLennan Companies? Contribute to the Community!