Marsh
usa.marsh.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Marsh Reviews

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Peter Zaffino

Pros:
  • "Very good for work life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Good benefits, colleagues and collaboration across departments"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management was changed without warning and layoffs came out of the blue"
    in 6 reviews
  • "stress levels are very high affecting work/life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

l spent 26 years and was recently terminated due to restructuring

Senior Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Marsh full-time for more than 10 years

ProsProfessional firm with unlimited resources and excellant growth potential for young employees willing to learn the Insurance brokerage business. Company is constantly in the restructure mode to become more efficient.

ConsUnfortunately there is a culture of nepotism and patronage among senior executives. Compensation has gone to a sales culture which includes a base salary and discretionary bonus structure.

Advice to Senior Managementlook in the glass mirror and treat your senior employees with more respect since you will lose your competitve advantage through the loss of intellectual human capital.

Overal bad experience due to immediate superior

Insurance Assistant (Former Employee)
Montreal, QC

I worked at Marsh full-time for more than a year

ProsMost team members were amazing

ConsSeveral team members with mental health issues seriously intervening in quality of work and human relations made everyday work very difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not put team management responsibility in the hands of managers who have no ability or will to properly run a team.

Encourage independent thinking and reward effort with advancement opportunities.

Get rid of employees with mental health issues when work is impacted or find ways to encourage them to constructively improve.

Terribly bureaucratic and unwelcoming IT

Software Developer (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at Marsh as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe company is world renowed, and a high profile employer.

They pay very well, and there are interesting projects happening as they are updating one of their main internal systems.

There is also probably lot's of management opportunity, just given how many of them exist.

ConsThe company structure (at least in IT) is horribly designed. WAY too much bloat and heavy overmanagement prevent employees from getting anything done. Their heavy reliance on off-shore workers does nothing to help with these problems, not too mention introducing many of their own.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlim down, and let people do some actual work.

Generally agreable but my qualities have not been recognized.

Technical Assistant (Current Employee)
Montreal, QC

I have been working at Marsh

ProsEmployment conditions, insurance, flexibility and the opportunity to learn and progress within the company. The working environment can be relaxed and friendly.

ConsPecking order, treated badly by other employees, no cohesive happy working environment.
Outright lies regarding opportunities that are available for promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to create a happy environment to employees. Efforts in this direction are currently being taken based on voluntary payments by employees. Managment should see this as an investment they should make.

good package

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marsh

ProsGood compensation overall compare to industrial standard

ConsManagement team always change and just reorganized the IT department in Canada

Advice to Senior ManagementWe had some very good team leaders but quite a few of them are no longer with the company. Miss them a lot.

Lots of Hands in the Cookie Jar, but Comfy

Graphic Designer (Former Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Marsh full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMy first real job out of school, was working as a desktop publisher for Marsh in Washington, DC. Temped for over a year waiting on a promise of full-tire hiring, and eventually got to define my position, and grew into a Graphic Designer. An excellent boost for my resume. I loved the atmosphere of the huge company (so many names and faces to learn), the luxury break rooms and the fancy lobby.

I also enjoyed having a lot of down time with which to mess around on the internet and still get paid!

ConsPriorities were constantly back and forth as there are so many folks in management that tend to clash. My department completely dissolved a few months after I left the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on honing a global mission that includes a more cohesive structure concerning internal support teams.

I have been working at Marsh

ProsMany opportunities for advancement in Insurance

Constoo big of a corporate structure

Good Pay, Poor Management

Policy Review (Former Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Marsh full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay and benefits package was great. It was definitely worth the time, energy, and work requested. The building and location were excellent. The work was challenging while not being overly stressful.

ConsManagement could not seem to get there act together between the old hubs and new hubs. Constant discord, changing of policies/practices and quality standards. Upper management was changed without warning and layoffs came out of the blue.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a proven system of QA and foster communication between departments as well as with clients and client teams.

POOR LEADERSHIP IN FINPRO

New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Marsh full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood benefits, colleagues and collaboration across departments.

ConsFINPRO leadership is detached and focused on "managing up" and taking care of their friends, rather than those colleagues that actually do the work. Performance reviews and bonuses are determined by a "beauty contest" under the corporate guise of "curve ranking", which does nothing but serves the purpose of leadership that punishes and retaliates against dissenters. I agree with the other commenter who noted that Marsh lies about giving raises. They do not…unless, of course, you are well-connected, OR you complain and they want to use you until they can find someone else to replace you!

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice The Greater Good, and especially the Integrity portion of IGNITE!

Not the company it once was

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Marsh full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood vacation time, okay benefits

ConsNo raises, detached management attitude

Worked for Marsh? Contribute to the Community!

Marsh – Why Work for Us?

Marsh is a world leader in delivering risk and insurance services and solutions to its clients. From its founding in 1871 to the present day, Marsh has provided thought leadership and innovation for clients and the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marsh reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Marsh CEO Peter Zaffino. All 109 reviews are posted anonymously by Marsh employees.