Marriott Vacation Club

Updated 21 October, 2014
3.5

Marriott Vacation Club President Steve Weisz
Steve Weisz

Pros
  • Excellent Leadership and a Great Benefits package (in 12 reviews)

• Very good benefits package, lots of changes coming with the integration of independence (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay didn't match the hard work we had to do (in 3 reviews)

• comp plan has changed numerous times but not that great of a variance, very high turnover but I'm sure that's normal for a call center (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Very positive company with room to grow.

Current Employee - Housekeeper in Palm Desert, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Housekeeper in Palm Desert, CA (US)

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is reasonable and their intern program seems like great opportunity for growth.

Cons

The only con I had was being in palm desert. Company culture had nothing wrong with it.

Practice what you preach.

Flexible and accommodating

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Salt Lake, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Salt Lake, UT (US)

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The call center environment here is so different and relaxing compared to others, they are so accommodating with calling off that many come back to after adventuring elsewhere. Also the medical benefits are good.

Cons

The pay isn't terrible but could be better, so many love working here that it is hard for finding a career here as few areas of advancement

Vision and Mission statements are shared clearly with employees, the more of the goals and aspirations of the company known may help field excitement with employees

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Kapolei, HI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Kapolei, HI (US)

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (more than an year)

Pros

beautiful location, intelligent co workers, great product, happy owners

Cons

sales quotas and stress to always perform even during slow periods

more mentoring, more training for specific situations

Not good for a primary source of income.

Current Employee - Outbound Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outbound Sales Representative

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Atmosphere is laid back the people you work with in general are nice people and the training is great.

Cons

Base pay is outright insulting but when you have sales experience and you are told the leads are warm and that others in the center have no problem getting 20 sales a sales period and you are told that is at least $1500 in commission every 2 weeks the base doesn't seem so bad... BUT what you are not told is that 98% of the people in outbound sales are lucky to get 12 a MONTH with majority struggling to get 1 a week, that is only an extra $70 in your paycheck. Hope you don't have to pay rent or childcare because if you do with this job being your primary source of income you are bound to come up short for 1 of those. Perfect for someone living with parents, going to school, or drug dealing on the side and using this job just for a cover up. But if you are really just trying to make a living Outbound Sales at Marriott Vacation Club is NOT for you!

When you see a resume come in that you know a person is over qualified for position or you know has high expectations DO NOT get their hopes up for this position knowing they will not make the money they think they can make with your company. It cost more to hire employees constantly than to just pay those you already have a decent hourly so they can at least keep a roof over their heads while doing such a not so promising job!

Depends on which site you're working from

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to make a lot of money in Sales

Cons

Not all Project Directors are created equally. Your experience will depend on the site you are working from.

Not all PD's are created equally

Marketing Executive

Former Employee - Marketing Executive
    Former Employee - Marketing Executive

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time

Pros

Decent associate perks and awesome locations to work. Definitely get to make your own schedule to a degree and in most locations you do not have a manager in your office. You are managed remotely.

Cons

not properly managed
    not properly compensated
    too much pressure from managers who do not invest in learning different markets

one blank sales method doesn't work for all locations

Wonderful place to work?

Former Employee - Vacation Planning Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Vacation Planning Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (less than an year)

Pros

*The atmosphere and values the company promotes are enough to want to work here.
    *Easy job to learn.
    *There is so much room for advancement.
    *Your managers really want to see you succeed.
    *Everyone who works there is willing to help you with anything you need.

Cons

*The only con I can think of is relevant at any calk center and that is angry callers, but at mvci they are very few and far between.

*I have no advice for them, they are wonderful.

Great Company but managed by Mafia Style Management in Cork's Site

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cork (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cork (Ireland)

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Company, Great Associate handbook, Good pay rates, Good Benefits and good opportunities to move internationally within the Company.

Cons

When I started working there it was great, especially with the presence of the Marriott Culture and Fair policies till the Company moved from London to Cork in 2003 and this was the downfall of this great company, the atmosphere became so hostile and coalitions started forming, you are either with the Management or the staff, and became worse when the HR department took the side of the management back in 2006 to 2008 using scare tactics against any associates who voices their opinion or complain about being bullied, I was personally bullied and gave many evidence to HR at the time which I still have till today.

Surely the HQ Senior Management were aware of it especially when Associates started to leave the company after being with it for 8-10 years, some of them even moved from London with them.

The Owner Services Senior Management were the worst and they were even discriminating against specific groups/ethnics while practicing favoritism with other groups, it is no coincidence that all the Middle Eastern Supervisors were made redundant back in 2008 while only 1 European only had the same fate and in this department you had to have a typical slave mentality to be promoted, in other words if you are a yes person.

To The Owner Services Senior Management, be more professional and fair, stop practicing favoritism and using punitive action against Associates who provides you with constructive feedback, And when Associates decides to leave due to your unfair treatment and they send a final email to you and to the Senior Management in the US HQ don't block it and let Steve know what's happening, he has always been a professional, I do wonder if anyone reads this in the first place to be honest.

Database Marketing

Former Employee - Database Marketing in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Database Marketing in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club (more than an year)

Pros

1. Pure 8 to 5 job with no overtime.

Cons

1. IT systems have already been set in place. Hence, there is very minimal work and it is extremely boring to spend 8 hours every day. At least, this is what I noticed in my department and after talking to people in other teams.
    2. Most of the employees have been working for 10+ years and thus, there is no "fresh energy" in infuse new ideas and technologies.
    3. Many managers were laid-back. My manager was big in micro-management and I had no fun working for this individual.

Your competitors i.e. Wyndham and Disney Vacation Club, have invested a lot of money in new technologies and new talent. Get new talent on board.

i love my job

Current Employee - Outbound Sales in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Outbound Sales in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (less than an year)

Pros

schedule and my co workers and my boss are awesome.

Cons

Not making enough sales to make a great salary.

Marriott Vacation Club Photos

Marriott
Corpoate Office
Entrance Sign (only signage for the resort unfortunately)

+ Add Photo