Marriott Reviews

1. Decent employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

The benefits packages offered (depends on the property) are rather good, particularly if you lack dependents, as you are not required to pay in.

Is constantly expanding and opportunity (including working abroad) is generally available)

Cons

The seems to be a large schism between the workforce at large and Upper level management , who hand down a lot of obscure policy and high minded ideology that has no practical application.

Management is reactionary, self serving and generally hands off.

Advice to Management

A focus on proactive management rather than the current reactionary style. Gain a better understanding of front line service from practical observation, rather than ideological philosophy.

2. A GREAT SMILE IS ALL IT TAKES

Current Employee - Guest Services Associate in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Guest Services Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

great benefits but most of all the staff is great to work with and of course it is a hospitality environment therefore you end up creating a very home away from home type environment with alot of the associates you work with. Marriott aswell offers great discounts on rooms and on food and beverage. They even offer free rooms at a certain point of time during the year and they also offer special rates for your friends and family. THe beds are very comfortable. The customer service is amazing.

Cons

very big on corporate culture, senior management seem a little intimidating

Advice to Management

maybe to be more honest and trusting of associates and spending more time with lower management and associates to get a better understanding of their qualities and strenghts.

Do not fall for the "culture" of family. The only culture is revenue at ALL costs.

Former Employee - Event Manager in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Event Manager in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Marriott

Pros

Your friends and family getting discounts at Marriotts. Most of the time these were not available anyway.

Cons

The long, unpaid hours. Excessive stress and pressure. The company only cares about the revenue not the employee. HR is only there for show. No follow up or being there for the employee was ever demonstrated. HR broke employee confientiality by reporting everything employees would say to their Directors. Employees would cry in their offices and that was ignored by Leadership. If an emloyee ever "rocked the boat" or voice any concern they were told they need to work smarter and may not be of Marriott culture. The culture is to work as many free hours as they can get. I worked many 19 hour shifts ..... worked many 6 day weeks ... as long as I brought in high revenue and the clients were happy then leadership did not care.

Advice to Management

Listen to loyal, committed, smart & hard working employees.

5. guest service associate

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in New Haven, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in New Haven, CT (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was an excellent experience working for marriott, they taught me the core values of hospitality

Cons

they definitely need to update their computer systems/software. Everyone knows it too. I understand the costs are high but one day well have to do it eventually so why not now?

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing. the JW in DTLA is one of my favorites in the country. I love the employee discounts on rooms

6. 26 years in Food service

Current Employee - Executive Chef in Nash, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Chef in Nash, TN (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work history and great customers skills, I am a good Chef

Cons

Love working with people and love making the guest happy.

Advice to Management

I am a hard worker and love teaching and coaching!

7. housekeeping & I loved working there courtyard by Marriott

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Detroit, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Detroit, MI (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time

Pros

Hours are very flexible and great hour

Cons

The mandatory working on holidays

8. Guest Services Manager

Former Employee - AYS Supervisor in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - AYS Supervisor in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time

Pros

Great hotel discount. After 25 years of service lifetime room discount.

Cons

None that i can say

9. Top notch employer, with a great company culture and a family for employees.

Current Employee - Sales Administrative Assistant in Gaithersburg, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Administrative Assistant in Gaithersburg, MD (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The associates working alongside myself have always been good workers and enjoyable to be around. The work environment is professional and comfortable.

Cons

Hotels are open 24 hours, and therefore operations positions can have varied hours.

Have experienced long hours with very little break in serving positions on property.

10. An amazing company who has employees and managers that really care!!!

Current Employee - Concierge Lounge in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Concierge Lounge in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice hours and the people are great to work with. The employees from other departments and in your department do really care about you and always are wanting you to succeed in everything you do. Even when I make mistakes they correct me nicely without cursing and or screaming. They pay for my alterations for uniforms and paid for me to get blouses for my job from Kohls. The general manager informs us abut goals and where we are at, and has high standards for us and the hotel. I will be getting a pay raise after my three month, then 6 month, and year raise after that. Its not really stressful or a horrible job since I meet so many business men/ women. They are all nice and come in and out quickly, so you do have to be able to connect with guests and help them. I also love going out of my way to help and assist a guest with their needs in anyway possible. It makes me feel empowered and I can actually do something good for other people. Also since my hotel is franchised through Winegarner and Hammons, I get benefits from the Marriott brand as well the franchisee.

Cons

None, I am very impressed by this company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I am very happy and content with this company, and the benefits I am getting.

11. Good

I worked at Marriott

Pros

Good people good food and now I have to fill this in I carnt think of any more to put in

Cons

No need for the next day, but the most important part. The first one to be honest with yourself and your family and the

Advice to Management

None