Marriott

3.7
1,412 Reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Good people, work-life balance, get to meet a lot of interesting characters (in 35 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 48 reviews)

• No work life balance, very long hours that inmediate supervisors don't appreciate (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work lots of hours, not a lot of challenge

Former Employee - Banquet Server in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Banquet Server in Calgary, AB

I worked at Marriott

Pros

Staff is mostly friendly and compensation is fair. Direct management can be different every time you work which can be good or bad.

Cons

No contact with clients for the most part if that is important to you I would not recommend it. Heavy trays to lift, but yes, that is specified when hired.

Decent employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

The benefits packages offered (depends on the property) are rather good, particularly if you lack dependents, as you are not required to pay in.

Is constantly expanding and opportunity (including working abroad) is generally available)

Cons

The seems to be a large schism between the workforce at large and Upper level management , who hand down a lot of obscure policy and high minded ideology that has no practical application.

Management is reactionary, self serving and generally hands off.

A focus on proactive management rather than the current reactionary style. Gain a better understanding of front line service from practical observation, rather than ideological philosophy.

A GREAT SMILE IS ALL IT TAKES

Current Employee - Guest Services Associate in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Guest Services Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

great benefits but most of all the staff is great to work with and of course it is a hospitality environment therefore you end up creating a very home away from home type environment with alot of the associates you work with. Marriott aswell offers great discounts on rooms and on food and beverage. They even offer free rooms at a certain point of time during the year and they also offer special rates for your friends and family. THe beds are very comfortable. The customer service is amazing.

Cons

very big on corporate culture, senior management seem a little intimidating

maybe to be more honest and trusting of associates and spending more time with lower management and associates to get a better understanding of their qualities and strenghts.

Do not fall for the "culture" of family. The only culture is revenue at ALL costs.

Former Employee - Event Manager in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Event Manager in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Marriott

Pros

Your friends and family getting discounts at Marriotts. Most of the time these were not available anyway.

Cons

The long, unpaid hours. Excessive stress and pressure. The company only cares about the revenue not the employee. HR is only there for show. No follow up or being there for the employee was ever demonstrated. HR broke employee confientiality by reporting everything employees would say to their Directors. Employees would cry in their offices and that was ignored by Leadership. If an emloyee ever "rocked the boat" or voice any concern they were told they need to work smarter and may not be of Marriott culture. The culture is to work as many free hours as they can get. I worked many 19 hour shifts ..... worked many 6 day weeks ... as long as I brought in high revenue and the clients were happy then leadership did not care.

Listen to loyal, committed, smart & hard working employees.

Excelent

Current Employee - Housekeeping in Hanover, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Housekeeping in Hanover, MD (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am want grow up.
    Having another position.

Cons

In my position i don't have any motivated to grow...

Incredible Company, Satisfied Employees!

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Marriott takes care of their employees
    - The Marriott standard is upheld to the best of their abilities
    - Friends and family discounts at any Marriott, employee discounts are even better
    - "My company store" allows you to get discounts on anything you can think of with Marriott
    - Excellent training as an operations intern

Cons

- If you are going in to the hospitality industry, primarily management, you will work long hours. Those of us who love the industry already know this and are willing to continue working because we are passionate and driven, but for the associates just there for a paycheck it could be frustrating.

Good college job as a front desk staff member. I liked what I did for the most part. Very laid back.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

It's a fun job where you make friends and can be social. Guests can be friendly and it is cool meeting new people.

Cons

Some guests are awful and demanding and have the craziest requests. You have to have thick skin to be able to smile the entire time.

Courtyard Marriott Hotel

Former Employee - Sales and Accounting
    Former Employee - Sales and Accounting

I worked at Marriott as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

staff was professional and friendly, I adapted very quick and learned so much .I worked in the sales and accounting department and I felt important and very much liked by my staff which were so much more experienced then me. I was respected and was given an opportunity to hold my own safety training class ( by my self) which involved the entire staff of the hotel to sit through an hour to 2 hour long test about blood pathogens, emergency conditions etc.

Cons

unfortunately my internship was over and due too layoffs at the time I wasn't able to be hired.

please hire me again

Best Experience

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Marriott as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Fair compensation, great resources, great innovation in the company, many avenues to get "noticed" if you work hard, after 25 years you can stay at any hotel in the world (with marriott) for free

Cons

minimum time in positions before allowed to post for new positions

"Never Changing but Ever Changing"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Marriott is an innovatory from ideas to the way we travel. BIG IDEAS BIG REWARDS. I love the culture!

Cons

Marriott's Sales structure has changed drastically over the past 5 years. I am uncertain of what the future looks like. It is a little scary.

I have no advice to Management.