Marriott Reviews

3.7
1,351 Reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 46 reviews)

• No work life balance, very long hours that inmediate supervisors don't appreciate (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

A GREAT SMILE IS ALL IT TAKES

Current Employee - Guest Services Associate in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Guest Services Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

great benefits but most of all the staff is great to work with and of course it is a hospitality environment therefore you end up creating a very home away from home type environment with alot of the associates you work with. Marriott aswell offers great discounts on rooms and on food and beverage. They even offer free rooms at a certain point of time during the year and they also offer special rates for your friends and family. THe beds are very comfortable. The customer service is amazing.

Cons

very big on corporate culture, senior management seem a little intimidating

maybe to be more honest and trusting of associates and spending more time with lower management and associates to get a better understanding of their qualities and strenghts.

Do not fall for the "culture" of family. The only culture is revenue at ALL costs.

Former Employee - Event Manager in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Event Manager in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Marriott

Pros

Your friends and family getting discounts at Marriotts. Most of the time these were not available anyway.

Cons

The long, unpaid hours. Excessive stress and pressure. The company only cares about the revenue not the employee. HR is only there for show. No follow up or being there for the employee was ever demonstrated. HR broke employee confientiality by reporting everything employees would say to their Directors. Employees would cry in their offices and that was ignored by Leadership. If an emloyee ever "rocked the boat" or voice any concern they were told they need to work smarter and may not be of Marriott culture. The culture is to work as many free hours as they can get. I worked many 19 hour shifts ..... worked many 6 day weeks ... as long as I brought in high revenue and the clients were happy then leadership did not care.

Listen to loyal, committed, smart & hard working employees.

Tremendous Company to Work For

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at Marriott full-time

Pros

Best "brand power" in the lodging industry.

Cons

Big companies are never as quick, nimble and flexible as the might want to be.

Stay the course and continue to start to embrace the "outside of Marriott" talent pool available.

Very satisfied

Current Employee - Banquet Captain in San Luis Obispo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Banquet Captain in San Luis Obispo, CA (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits & I have been able to make a career here

Cons

Not many I can think of

I love my job

Not a great place to work.

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Grapevine, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Grapevine, TX (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only thing that I enjoyed about being a front desk agent for Marriott Springhill Suites was greeting and interacting with the guests.

Cons

Training was lacking, co worker relations were crappy, and the pay was peanuts. No one that I came into contact with besides the GM had been there over six months. You get no breaks, and scheduling is terrible. I inquired about meal breaks and was told that there are none, told by the GM if you need to eat for medical reasons pop something in your mouth and keep working. During days of inclement weather the try to force you to stay over to work. I stayed with Marriott all of 1 week. I have a CS and PR background but since having a baby I have stayed home. I was looking for something to bring in extra cash for holiday traveling. Fortunately, I was in a position to say "no thanks" to working in a place that cares so little for the employees.

Caring more about your employees will decrease turnover. We can't even get a 15 minute break so there's no wonder why no one stays!

I love working for Residence Inn.

I worked at Marriott

Pros

I was a front desk agent for Residence Inn by Marriott. I love interacting with the guests, & doing nice things for them upon check-in. My supervisors were also all very nice & welcoming, so it was never a problem to talk to them about anything.

Cons

Cons of working for Residence Inn (or any hotel) are the hours. Either work from 7am-3pm or 3pm-11pm. I preferred 3-11 more, considering I was able to interact with more guests during that shift, but it's practically your entire day. The pay is also not the best, which weighed into me deciding to leave.

Marriott was great company to work for.

Current Employee - Engineer in Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked the feeling of employees as Family. We had a meeting every day to tell us what was happening, "Events" Our General Manager started at Marriott as a dishwasher! On his way up, he worked in every Department.

Cons

We had a group called the "Ample Beauties ", a couple times a year, 200 of them, they tore the place up ! However, they only were there for 2 night.

I worked for 2 different Marriott's

Great Place to work

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, flexible, professional work environment, room to grow, great training. I enjoyed my time at Marriott and would consider going back in the future. As long as you show desire and work hard you will advance in your career.

Cons

Some supervisors are tough but if you push through you will be fine. There is always an opportunity to move throughout the company.

Love working at a hotel

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are by far the best part of my job. My co-workers are the best and you get to meet some interesting guests.

Cons

At my current hotel there is no room for advancement. We do not have supervisors and upper management has been with Marriott for 20+ years. Also, though the hiring pay has gone up, my wages have not making it so I am only making a dollar more than new hires when I've been with Marriott for more than 5 years.

Look at pay for current employees before raising pay for new hires.

The Hotel was great until Interstate took over

I worked at Marriott

Pros

good pay and benefits and flexible hours

Cons

lots of back stabbing and Management doesn't care

get rid of Interstate