Marriott

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.6 1,218 reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 38 reviews)

• Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights
1,218 Employee Reviews

Amazing company to work for

Bartender (Former Employee) Halifax, NS

ProsWorking for the Marriott offers full benefits, staff meals, free courses offered, opportunity for growth, opportunity to transfer locations, great support amongst co-workers and within the company.

ConsWorking within a large corporation makes opportunity for change rigid i.e. policies are set in stone with not a whole lot of room for debate, plus must adhere to standards set as a corporation which can overlook circumstances unique to each property.

Customer service representative

Custo (Former Employee) Fredericton, NB

ProsExcellent management and Marriott looks out for their own employees.

ConsI did not experience any cons while working with Marriott.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue keep on doing what your doing:):)

Good Company Poor Wages

Valet (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGood Staff and Supervisors, work life balance is excellent. Great employee discounts

ConsMinimum wage, crap benefits, senior management does even know if you work there or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome out of your offices once and a while, and look up from your Backberries when you are out.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marriott the company is wonderful...management not so much

Booking Agent (Current Employee) Sarnia, ON

ProsFull-time hours...
    Decent benefits
    Paid sick days
    Employee room discounts great
    Co-workers are wonderful to work with
    Attempts of management to raise moral and make it fun appreciated...

ConsLow pay for the amount of responsibility required, two tiered staff the upper management and the others...would comment further but will not use profanity, the rules are always changing I feel to suit which ever manager you happen to speak with, lack of respect from management to staff, I am a long time employee of 5 plus years, the daily JUNK mail that we receive in our mail box is not very green or socially responsible, pep talk prior to the yearly employee survey is laughable..very shallow, feel that management needs to be refreshed to improve employee moral, any large corporation that I have been involved in replaces management to keep the positive image of the corporation. Our management team is very stale and needs new faces to improve the overall company image, and experience

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership at our centre needs to be refreshed, new ideas, new faces, management doesn't listen they lie to staff, not a very good employee relations

Good place to work lots of hours, not a lot of challenge

Banquet Server (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsStaff is mostly friendly and compensation is fair. Direct management can be different every time you work which can be good or bad.

ConsNo contact with clients for the most part if that is important to you I would not recommend it. Heavy trays to lift, but yes, that is specified when hired.

Decent employer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Halifax, NS

ProsThe benefits packages offered (depends on the property) are rather good, particularly if you lack dependents, as you are not required to pay in.

Is constantly expanding and opportunity (including working abroad) is generally available)

ConsThe seems to be a large schism between the workforce at large and Upper level management , who hand down a lot of obscure policy and high minded ideology that has no practical application.

Management is reactionary, self serving and generally hands off.

Advice to Senior ManagementA focus on proactive management rather than the current reactionary style. Gain a better understanding of front line service from practical observation, rather than ideological philosophy.

A GREAT SMILE IS ALL IT TAKES

Guest Services Associate (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosgreat benefits but most of all the staff is great to work with and of course it is a hospitality environment therefore you end up creating a very home away from home type environment with alot of the associates you work with. Marriott aswell offers great discounts on rooms and on food and beverage. They even offer free rooms at a certain point of time during the year and they also offer special rates for your friends and family. THe beds are very comfortable. The customer service is amazing.

Consvery big on corporate culture, senior management seem a little intimidating

Advice to Senior Managementmaybe to be more honest and trusting of associates and spending more time with lower management and associates to get a better understanding of their qualities and strenghts.

Do not fall for the "culture" of family. The only culture is revenue at ALL costs.

Event Manager (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsYour friends and family getting discounts at Marriotts. Most of the time these were not available anyway.

ConsThe long, unpaid hours. Excessive stress and pressure. The company only cares about the revenue not the employee. HR is only there for show. No follow up or being there for the employee was ever demonstrated. HR broke employee confientiality by reporting everything employees would say to their Directors. Employees would cry in their offices and that was ignored by Leadership. If an emloyee ever "rocked the boat" or voice any concern they were told they need to work smarter and may not be of Marriott culture. The culture is to work as many free hours as they can get. I worked many 19 hour shifts ..... worked many 6 day weeks ... as long as I brought in high revenue and the clients were happy then leadership did not care.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to loyal, committed, smart & hard working employees.

Great Company for Career Growth

Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) Bethesda, MD (US)

ProsGood career growth opportunities
    Very Diverse

ConsIf you want to move up, you have to network. But that's true just about anywhere, right?

Marriott is great

Prosgreat company to work for

Consno cons that I can think of

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!