Marriott

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.6 1,220 reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 38 reviews)

• Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights
1,220 Employee Reviews

Great summer experience

Server (Former Employee) Minett, ON

Pros-young energetic staff
    - excellent orientation and training
    - good brand standards
    - beautiful location

Cons- seasonal staff sometimes makes things difficult w experience levels
    - manage,ent can be somewhat lazy

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more enagaged with your employees and less prejudice.

Company with great culture

Event Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCompany with great culture values. Focus on company values on each morning's stand up to keep the momentum. Great discount for employee and their families with more than 3200 hotel worldwide,

ConsDue to high volume of business, work and life balance can be challenging. Depending on the property, option of working from home on a slower day helps greatly.

Sous Chef

Sous Chef (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

Prosexcellent work place, strong sense of community

ConsA union came in. The worst thing to happen to a company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep the people working as a community. Don't let something get in the way like a union

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A place to be

CCSS (Former Employee) Saskatoon, SK

ProsBeautiful and tidy rooms, staff provide world class services

ConsNothing. JW Marriott is good

Warning about the "Kitchen Assistant" position

Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThere are some decent people who work in the hotel.

ConsManagement is in collusion with the union representative which makes it exceedingly difficult for employees to approach their union. The place is extremely disorganized; the Marriott's right hand doesn't know what it's left hand is doing. New employees are given full-time hours in the beginning, but are eventually relegated to working only one day per week; coincidentally, just before their probationary period has expired. Nineteen dollars is deducted from each pay cheque to cover union dues.
    "Kitchen Associates" is just Marriott's vernacular for dishwasher. They don't pay you extra for doing tasks outside your realm. My advice to anyone who's interested in applying for this position is to look elsewhere. Trust me, it would be better to work at McDonald's.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees fairly. They're considered "associates;" treat them as such. Stop subscribing to favoritism. The dishwashers are treated like pariahs; something that I'd noticed following Associate Appreciation Week. Also, if you hire somebody to work full-time, provide them with full-time hours, as opposed to only one day per week.

Great place for a young person to start

Concierge (Current Employee) St. John's, NL

ProsGreat management and hiring depertment

ConsIt's a hotel so, like most hotels, its 24/7 shift work. That's really the worst part about working for a Marriott and that's only minor.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, keep up the good hard work.

Marriott cleaning lady

Cleaning Lady (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsSimple tasks, beautiful rooms and easy to access location - metro Atwatter is very closed.

ConsThe cleaning ladies regroup in clics based on race
    and there often is some tension between the clics.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to make them feel like one big team instead of many small clics.

Horiible hours but great coworkers

Reservation Agent (Former Employee)

ProsThere were lots of group activities with coworkers and this was overall a fun place to work.

ConsThe hours were horrible. Basically have to be nocturnal to work at the call centres.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive new hires a break once and a while with the hours.

Great Culture - could be more nimble

Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsVery people focused, a very "caring. sharing" approach to managing employees. Solid place to work if a steady pace is your thing. Management are loyal and the company does a great job of instilling corporate pride across the organization.

ConsSlow to market with new ideas. Very by the book which is to be expected from a large corporate environment, but could encourage more ideas and entrepreneurial thinking from junior/ mid managers. Happy to accept a large amount of middle of the road performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee the talent, promote the talent and take a few chances.

Fantastic Company to work for, but stressful environment

Reservation Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Sarnia, ON

Pros-Flexible Management
    -Great incentives and perks (Hotel discounts with Marriott and other companies, catered lunches, ect)
    -You get the sense that the company cares for you
    -Sales incentives and bonuses based on productivity
    -Soft selling (All inbound, no pressure)
    -Plenty of overtime opportunities (The provide time and a half pay even if you're below 44 hours, you just need to work outside your scheduled hours)
    -Lots of vacation time, sick time (Unpaid AND paid sick time after 90 day probation)

Cons-Fast paced call centre environment
    -Can get really stressful
    -Customers can get angry at you for seemingly anything and everything (Though the company doesn't tolerate abuse from the customer, so that was a plus)
    -Average pay for the industry (Could be better)

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen a reservation centre in Toronto

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!