Marriott

Marriott Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros:
  • "Marriott offers employers a real work life balance depending on the position that you are in"
    in 25 reviews
  • "A very good company and good benefits (health could be a little better)"
    in 49 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very demanding business to be in, not the great work-life balance sometimes"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Long Hours, but if you are working in hotel banquet/catering then this is understood"
    in 46 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Company Poor Wages

Valet (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at Marriott

ProsGood Staff and Supervisors, work life balance is excellent. Great employee discounts

ConsMinimum wage, crap benefits, senior management does even know if you work there or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome out of your offices once and a while, and look up from your Backberries when you are out.

Marriott the company is wonderful...management not so much

Booking Agent (Current Employee)
Sarnia, ON

ProsFull-time hours...
Decent benefits
Paid sick days
Employee room discounts great
Co-workers are wonderful to work with
Attempts of management to raise moral and make it fun appreciated...

ConsLow pay for the amount of responsibility required, two tiered staff the upper management and the others...would comment further but will not use profanity, the rules are always changing I feel to suit which ever manager you happen to speak with, lack of respect from management to staff, I am a long time employee of 5 plus years, the daily JUNK mail that we receive in our mail box is not very green or socially responsible, pep talk prior to the yearly employee survey is laughable..very shallow, feel that management needs to be refreshed to improve employee moral, any large corporation that I have been involved in replaces management to keep the positive image of the corporation. Our management team is very stale and needs new faces to improve the overall company image, and experience

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership at our centre needs to be refreshed, new ideas, new faces, management doesn't listen they lie to staff, not a very good employee relations

Decent employer

Halifax, NS

I have been working at Marriott

ProsThe benefits packages offered (depends on the property) are rather good, particularly if you lack dependents, as you are not required to pay in.

Is constantly expanding and opportunity (including working abroad) is generally available)

ConsThe seems to be a large schism between the workforce at large and Upper level management , who hand down a lot of obscure policy and high minded ideology that has no practical application.

Management is reactionary, self serving and generally hands off.

Advice to Senior ManagementA focus on proactive management rather than the current reactionary style. Gain a better understanding of front line service from practical observation, rather than ideological philosophy.

A GREAT SMILE IS ALL IT TAKES

Guest Services Associate (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at Marriott

Prosgreat benefits but most of all the staff is great to work with and of course it is a hospitality environment therefore you end up creating a very home away from home type environment with alot of the associates you work with. Marriott aswell offers great discounts on rooms and on food and beverage. They even offer free rooms at a certain point of time during the year and they also offer special rates for your friends and family. THe beds are very comfortable. The customer service is amazing.

Consvery big on corporate culture, senior management seem a little intimidating

Advice to Senior Managementmaybe to be more honest and trusting of associates and spending more time with lower management and associates to get a better understanding of their qualities and strenghts.

Do not fall for the "culture" of family. The only culture is revenue at ALL costs.

Event Manager (Former Employee)
Edmonton, AB

I worked at Marriott

ProsYour friends and family getting discounts at Marriotts. Most of the time these were not available anyway.

ConsThe long, unpaid hours. Excessive stress and pressure. The company only cares about the revenue not the employee. HR is only there for show. No follow up or being there for the employee was ever demonstrated. HR broke employee confientiality by reporting everything employees would say to their Directors. Employees would cry in their offices and that was ignored by Leadership. If an emloyee ever "rocked the boat" or voice any concern they were told they need to work smarter and may not be of Marriott culture. The culture is to work as many free hours as they can get. I worked many 19 hour shifts ..... worked many 6 day weeks ... as long as I brought in high revenue and the clients were happy then leadership did not care.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to loyal, committed, smart & hard working employees.

Great

Bistro Server (Current Employee)
Denton, TX (US)

I have been working at Marriott part-time for more than a year

ProsRegular wage plus tips. The hours are easy and management works with your schedule

ConsSometimes slow in the evenings.

Was a great decision to join the Marriott International team

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe culture is very inviting and energizing. The company is structured with programs that really show how important the associates, community, and guests are to the business. There are many different career paths and opportunities for anyone who is interested in pursuing growth and development.

ConsBenefits plans are equivalent to other companies of similar size and scope.

Great company - worked when other people weren't working.

Front Desk Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, strong management team, motivated co-workers. I loved the perks of the employee discounts for friends and family. Overall, I really liked working there.

ConsThe main reason I left was because I found myself working the most when my friends and family weren't working (nights and weekends) - it's the nature of working for a business where they never close the doors!

Marriott GRS&CC is Ranked #1 in San Antonio, TX

Administrative (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMarriott gives you the skills that you are going to need when you are ready to start a career outside of hospitality. The benefits package that you receive is awesome. The people are some of the closest to family that you will ever have.

ConsThey push career progression but only a select few can handle to responsibility. The problem is that most of the people that are put into these roles are highly over qualified and the rest are severely under qualified. Becoming a manager requires nothing other than waiting for your turn rather than merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more capital into your associates rather than your guests and you will see major differences!

it is a great place to work.

I have been working at Marriott

Prosfun, fast, fair, great team

Conshourscan be difficult if you have a family

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marriott reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson. All 990 reviews are posted anonymously by Marriott employees.