Manpower

Manpower Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Manpower CEO Jonas Prising

Jonas Prising

Pros
  • Management is very understanding about keeping the work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• The working environment is professional (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • I heard some full time employees complained about his or her job (in 13 reviews)

• Promised permanent placement but upper management did not follow though (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Marketing Intern

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Scarborough, ON

Pros- Work individually
    - Head up the campaign for marketing with the branch manager
    - Warm call clients and work on communication
    - Deal directly with prospects
    - Excellent management

Cons- Repetitive tasks
    - Nothing else really

Advice to Senior Management- Add more variety and events

Excellent place to deal with

Small Equipment Storesman (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsPersonable and friendly people. Easy to get in contact with, any problems or issues were solved almost right away. Straight up classy place

ConsAbsolutely no bad things to say other than being a temp job its hard to find the next assignment. Too much down time between work

Excellent training ground; be prepared to work hard!

Staffing Specialist (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

Pros-Breadth and depth of business exposure: If you are new in your career and don't know very much about 'business' as a whole, this is an excellent place to learn.

-Hire great internal staff

-Strong core values: (including the vision of the late company Founder, Elmer Winter) that are lived out daily (Worker Safety, Compliance to Process, Client and Candidate satisfaction, to name a few).

-Good processes: the temporary employment side of the business is a very process oriented, well-oiled machine with a 'fast-turnaround' model.

-Feel-good factor: Although the process leaves some candidates feeling that it isn't very personal, Manpower offers free, on-line skills training for their temporary employees, mandatory safety orientations and some operations also provide health care benefits once temps qualify by working enough hours.

-Overall, good working environment: Staff have a lot autonomy, many responsibilities & high work load, but management doesn't DIRECTLY encourage or pressure staff to work beyond regular hours.

-Positive, team culture: (vs. being ultra competitive) makes it a fun, dynamic place to work. Since there isn't a huge focus on commissions, internal staff works together and use the database to employ and re-deploy their reliable, top performing external employees/temps.

-Focus on relationships: Manpower encourages the team to be accessible & visible on-site for the clients and temporary employees.

-Strong, reputable brand: they work with great companies because of their size and span, nationally and globally.

-Information/Industry knowledge: white papers and other value-add publications & reports, knowledge of market trends and employment statistics world-wide are available to clients and staff.

-Technology: They do a pretty good job of bringing new practices in to the 'Agency' market.

Cons-Salaries aren't the highest in the industry

-Limited opportunity for commissions in temp, if you're driven by that, it could be a big disadvantage

-No pay for overtime

-High volume work load and limited support

-Work/life balance can be hard to achieve due to work loads

Advice to Senior Management-Great work communicating and living the company values

-Listen to and support your staff who are on the front lines; they are your most valuable asset

-Better pay for staff

-Promote continuing education and training to support staff's personal career goals

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work however the industry is awful

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsGood training and support at first.

ConsLots of disappointment from candidates and clients. The staffing industry is just brutal if you haven't been in it before. Managers expect the world from employees. Very hard to get lots of commission as they promise you should be getting. Base salary is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe patient with your employees if they are producing good candidates

Great working environment, nice team and managements

Staffing Specialist (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsGreat working environment
    Nice team
    Managements are good, easy going and hands off

ConsNothing I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing I can think of now

creative. innovative. fun

Manager, Candidate Marketing - Canada (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsI get to bring new ideas to the table and 99% of the time I get to run with them. Love the creative freedom and the opportunity to prove the ROI on these projects. Truly the best group of people I have ever worked with - right across North America. Lots of opportunity for projects, growth and to learn.

ConsSometimes it can be hard as many members of our team sit virtually or at various site across North America. This is such a minor issue however as we collaborate very well - by phone, in person, email, and social media.

It has been a great journey with tons of growth

Senior Staffing Specialist (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsThe management team is always willing to hear new ideas and work to help the vision of the corporate values

ConsHigh stress and pressure of the job

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!!

A good experience overall...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsGreat people and a fun place to work!

ConsSenior level management was resistant to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your sales reps!

A good learning experience

Recruiter (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsLearned about a wide range of industries, sectors and professions; gained experience interviewing and working with HR professionals

ConsNot always satisfying to work in staffing, particularly temp work - you see a lot of desperate people looking for work and struggling, but as a business, helping them is not your top priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvesting more time and effort in job seekers actually makes very good business sense - help employers hire people from minority groups and make a difference.

Factory work is repeative and tedious

Factory Worker (Former Employee) Markham, ON

ProsLast minute job hunting
    Free coffee, mocha, tea, and hot chocolate

ConsThe job itself is undesirable. The shift is ridgid, if you work on the day shift say goodbye to your social life.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt should be manitory that the employee's job should change every couple of hours,

Worked for Manpower? Contribute to the Community!