Manpower

Manpower Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Manpower Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Joerres

Jeff Joerres

Pros:
  • "Management is very understanding about keeping the work/life balance"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Good benefits and most nice people on branch level"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "I was told the salary range would be the same as my existing, full time, but they were not sure the salary"
    in 11 reviews
  • "total lack of leadership in romania"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent training ground; be prepared to work hard!

Staffing Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Manpower full-time for more than 5 years

Pros-Breadth and depth of business exposure: If you are new in your career and don't know very much about 'business' as a whole, this is an excellent place to learn.

-Hire great internal staff

-Strong core values: (including the vision of the late company Founder, Elmer Winter) that are lived out daily (Worker Safety, Compliance to Process, Client and Candidate satisfaction, to name a few).

-Good processes: the temporary employment side of the business is a very process oriented, well-oiled machine with a 'fast-turnaround' model.

-Feel-good factor: Although the process leaves some candidates feeling that it isn't very personal, Manpower offers free, on-line skills training for their temporary employees, mandatory safety orientations and some operations also provide health care benefits once temps qualify by working enough hours.

-Overall, good working environment: Staff have a lot autonomy, many responsibilities & high work load, but management doesn't DIRECTLY encourage or pressure staff to work beyond regular hours.

-Positive, team culture: (vs. being ultra competitive) makes it a fun, dynamic place to work. Since there isn't a huge focus on commissions, internal staff works together and use the database to employ and re-deploy their reliable, top performing external employees/temps.

-Focus on relationships: Manpower encourages the team to be accessible & visible on-site for the clients and temporary employees.

-Strong, reputable brand: they work with great companies because of their size and span, nationally and globally.

-Information/Industry knowledge: white papers and other value-add publications & reports, knowledge of market trends and employment statistics world-wide are available to clients and staff.

-Technology: They do a pretty good job of bringing new practices in to the 'Agency' market.

Cons-Salaries aren't the highest in the industry

-Limited opportunity for commissions in temp, if you're driven by that, it could be a big disadvantage

-No pay for overtime

-High volume work load and limited support

-Work/life balance can be hard to achieve due to work loads

Advice to Senior Management-Great work communicating and living the company values

-Listen to and support your staff who are on the front lines; they are your most valuable asset

-Better pay for staff

-Promote continuing education and training to support staff's personal career goals

Great working environment, nice team and managements

Staffing Specialist (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Manpower full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat working environment
Nice team
Managements are good, easy going and hands off

ConsNothing I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing I can think of now

creative. innovative. fun

Manager, Candidate Marketing - Canada (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at Manpower full-time for more than a year

ProsI get to bring new ideas to the table and 99% of the time I get to run with them. Love the creative freedom and the opportunity to prove the ROI on these projects. Truly the best group of people I have ever worked with - right across North America. Lots of opportunity for projects, growth and to learn.

ConsSometimes it can be hard as many members of our team sit virtually or at various site across North America. This is such a minor issue however as we collaborate very well - by phone, in person, email, and social media.

It has been a great journey with tons of growth

Senior Staffing Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Manpower

ProsThe management team is always willing to hear new ideas and work to help the vision of the corporate values

ConsHigh stress and pressure of the job

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!!

A good experience overall...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Ottawa, ON

I worked at Manpower

ProsGreat people and a fun place to work!

ConsSenior level management was resistant to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your sales reps!

A good learning experience

Recruiter (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at Manpower

ProsLearned about a wide range of industries, sectors and professions; gained experience interviewing and working with HR professionals

ConsNot always satisfying to work in staffing, particularly temp work - you see a lot of desperate people looking for work and struggling, but as a business, helping them is not your top priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvesting more time and effort in job seekers actually makes very good business sense - help employers hire people from minority groups and make a difference.

Factory work is repeative and tedious

Factory Worker (Former Employee)
Markham, ON

ProsLast minute job hunting
Free coffee, mocha, tea, and hot chocolate

ConsThe job itself is undesirable. The shift is ridgid, if you work on the day shift say goodbye to your social life.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt should be manitory that the employee's job should change every couple of hours,

Lot's of talk but little action...

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Regina, SK

I have been working at Manpower

ProsWhen they first hire me, they seem very interested in placing me. I can call them anytime to discuss or ask questions about my current job placement.

ConsEven when I got outstanding job feedback at my last work placement, they have not given me any work for over a month. Most people can't afford to go even one week these days without some type of income.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are no longer interested in an employee, be honest and tell them. But if you are still interested in placing them, do not leave them hanging for weeks without any job assignments. When you know in advance that an employee's work assignment will be ending, and if you are happy with their performance and would like to keep them, it would be logical to start looking for a new placement for them immediately.

Do not work here!!!!

Branch Manager (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I worked at Manpower

ProsThey offered a good benefits package. 100 percent employer paid as well as RRSP plan.

ConsThey have the worst salaries in the industry. The upper management is so concerned with sales and revenue that they forget about people on the front lines. Their competition offers so much more in terms of compensation and growth that Manpower is losing so much market share.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and look at what your competition is doing. Do not promote or hire managers that have never had management experience. Sales people are not managers.

Manpower...Great Image, Great Brand, Buyer Beware

Permanent Placement Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Manpower

ProsThe brand. The Manpower brand has a global reach. They teach great skills at their Head Quarters in Milwaukee, WI. The vision, the culture, the process - it's all top notch. They are leaders in the world of staffing and are becoming one of the growing players in permanent placement/direct hire as well. I love the tools that are provided such as the on-line training development centre and the branded collateral. Manpower has established itsself as an authority on the staffing industry and continually produces white papers to provide all sectors of industry information on staffing trends.

ConsWhen working for a franchise, there is too much opportunity for ambiguity in policy. I would like to see the local policy allign with the corporate policy more. I would also like to have seen more training in the beginning. The training I received was good, but there were key components that I think every direct hire recruiter needs to learn before really working a full desk. I was frustrated at times with this process. This company is going through change which always magnifies weaknesses. If you are not new to the industry, it would be easier to come on board.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe policy needs to state what it means or mean what it states. There should be more training procedures in place. Management could put more effort into listening to the employees who are front line.

Worked for Manpower? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Manpower reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Manpower CEO Jeff Joerres. All 447 reviews are posted anonymously by Manpower employees.