Makerbot

Updated 16 February, 2015
Updated 16 February, 2015
2.3

Bre Pettis

Pros
  • 3D printing is an important technology and you get to be part of it all (in 11 reviews)

• 3D printers everywhere, and if one has been repaired recently, it might even work (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to it being a relatively new company, it has it's growing pains (in 6 reviews)

• But to serve the completely clueless and ignorant upper management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

"Retail Operator" was really a Brand Ambassador

Former Employee - Retail Operator in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Operator in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Makerbot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was hired as an independent retail operator for Makerbot, stationed at Home Depot. The hours were very good, as I am not a morning person. Ample paid time off, paid lunches, healthy salary. The management was helpful when they could be, but mostly stayed out of my business. Was given access to many resources, including Lynda.com.

Cons

Very little training. Once I was trained, I was basically on my own, not hearing from anyone at the company (outside of daily form-letter style emails) for often weeks at a time. We were considered employees, but were paid out of the marketing budget, which ultimately ran dry. Was given 11 days notice before termination. Was not offered an interview for the regional position that replaced my job, despite expressing interest in growing with the company from the start. The only mention of any kind of Christmas gift or bonus was an invitation to a party that happened in another city 900 miles away. Basically, I felt forgotten and unappreciated. I worked very hard to make myself noticed in a large company, and went out of my way to help out others in my position. I also spent time on my own learning more about the product and the processes that go into using the product to its full potential. None of this was ever acknowledged, outside of the occasional pat on the back from my direct supervisor, who I saw twice in six months. One of these meetings was to tell me I was laid off, which was done in public, at the Makerbot "kiosk". The end of the Home Depot retail operators program was handled very poorly.

Don't pay employees out of a pre-determined sum of money, and if you do, make it very clear that there is no room for advancement, and that this is a contract with an end date.

Passionate employees, underpaid

Former Intern - Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Intern - Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Engineers are passionate about 3D printing and creating a great product
    -Fun work environment (lots of young people)
    -Smartest people I've ever worked with
    -Good work life balance

Cons

-Pay is a joke (especially for engineers, it's far under the national average)
    -Employees keep leaving for better paying jobs
    --ad communication between departments

Justifying your low wages based on being a startup and having a "cool" culture is not a sustainable practice. The Makerbot name attracts good engineers, and then they leave for better paying jobs. Pay your employees what they deserve so they stay around for more than a year.

One of my favorite places to work.

Current Employee - UI Designer in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - UI Designer in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with really great people, which is difficult to find. Coworkers are open and collaborative. Projects vary and are engaging. 3D printing is a pretty cool industry.

Cons

The office location is inconvenient. The facilities could also be nicer – it seems they do the minimum amount necessary to make sure the office is a comfortable environment.

Invest more into facilities.

Worst place to work for.

Former Employee - Productor in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Productor in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

25 cent machines was cool.

Cons

Everything sucked. Some people were cool. But Upper Management sucked.

Overall a great experience working with talented and dedicated employees

Former Intern - Channel Marketing Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Intern - Channel Marketing Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

1) "Never a dull moment" - always exciting to hear about new collaborations

2) "Magic of 3D printing" - working for the leader that's setting the standard in an up-and-coming industry

3) "Valuable work to be done" - under my direct managers I had excellent guidance yet enough freedom to be my own marketer and was always encouraged to formulate new ideas and processes

4) "Talent and dedication is abundant" - being surrounded by co-workers who work tirelessly to find ways to continue improving products and processes

5) "Great experience" - I can walk away saying that I've learned a lot in such a short period of time

6) If I was asked to come back and join the MakerBot team, I would definitely consider it and recommend the company to others.

Cons

No complaints. Understand that 3D printing is still in its infancy and MakerBot is constantly improving their products and processes to be better and more consumer friendly.

I would have liked to see my internship transfer into a full-time position.

Immature, Disorganized, Lacks Focus

I worked at Makerbot

Pros

During my tenure, there were many great co-workers on the Director and Manager level.

Cons

Does not have the proper infrastructure, tools, and leadership to support a 500+ person company across multiple locations. Communication suffers and accomplishing any project that isn't siloed to one department is a major challenge.

Business decisions are capricious and driven by perverse incentives --- not building great products or setting forth long term business goals and product roadmaps.

Poor development process. Honestly, the most immature development process I've ever encountered at my 10+ years of experience working in NYC tech (from early stage startups to 1000+ employees). There is constant scrambling on every project.

Turnover in departments is staggering. Morale is suffering as a result.

Nepotism is rampant. Leadership needs to stop hiring and promoting friends and family, and make smarter hiring decisions and trusting smart people, not driving them away.

Admit your limitations. Hire smart and open your wallets to get higher quality candidates in the door. Stop promoting friends and family.

Commit to building and delivering quality products for your customers. Do this and it will be easier to make employees feel proud to work there -- this will inherently fix a lot of the culture and turnover issues. Avoid the "Bread and Circuses" at all cost (Free fruit and star awards) it's embarrassing, shows immaturity and lack of experience for working for or building a great company.

HR should be helpful and beneficial to employees not intimidating/fear mongering. Also, HR needs to be more professional overall, especially when dealing with sensitive and confidential employee information.

Great coworkers in a disorganized environment

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is amazing and the co-workers are great. The employees are all typically very passionate about their work and 3-D printing.

Cons

Unfortunately, the company structure is completely disorganized after a certain merger and has created a rather chaotic environment. The pay is also less than ideal.

Pay more attention to what each employee actually accomplishes. It seems to be the trend that the employees that have contributed the most time and effort are often unrewarded.

The talent is leaking out.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health plans are pretty good.
    Work environment is jovial, with a touch of job fatalism.
    Free fruit, but only if you're early.
    Interesting coworkers, until they move on and upwards in their careers.
    3D printers everywhere, and if one has been repaired recently, it might even work!
    Being a part of something that is pretty likely to get at least a side-note in some history book.
    Resources are available for personal development, if you're in the right department or seen as valued.

Future product roadmaps look much less terrible than the current product. But they looked good in 2013, too...

Cons

Some of my Pros have disclaimers.
    HR is seen as scary, manipulative, and more a foe than a friend.
    The "absolutely everyone hates the company" attitude assumed by all non-manager employees. It's toxic, and rapidly assimilates any new employee.
    Pay is below market average pretty much across the board, and leadership has almost flatly stated this is not changing.
    Pep-talks given by the CEO (Jenny Lawton) in which she reaffirms our commitment to a "minimum viable product."
    Really awful Flavia instant coffee.
    Office politics, with a side dish of nepotism.
    Facilities are in "historic" buildings, and undergoing construction.
    Office rules that are both poorly communicated and intrusive to getting work done.
    Having expertise is not seen by managers as a reason to be listened to.
    Impossible to correct, arbitrary project planning decisions.

The 5th generation models were shipped prematurely, and have been consumer-hostile nightmares. Quality is less important than being shippable.

I am deeply dissatisfied with the "leadership." My perception is that their first and foremost priority has been ladder climbing and pocket-lining for the last two years. They were quite successful, at quite the cost to anyone foolish enough to stick around. I honestly don't know what to say other than "please see yourself out." Leadership is of course not going to read this, and unlikely to take on any changes that make them less profit.

See about matching the compensation and amenities of, say, any reasonable non-startup tech company. Stop pretending it's an honor to be an employee, and pay a market rate, or this company will continue to leak what talent it has ever had.

Clueless upper management, crushing underpaid passion. !!!RUN AWAY!!!

Former Employee - Designer in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Designer in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Made some really good connections with lots of equally frustrated employees.

Teaches you what questions to ask at your next interview, things like.

Is this company run my a bunch of money hungry apes with no understanding of long term growth and the current trends and needs of the people that can truly utilized 3d printing as it currently stands today and where it is going.

Cons

Just about everything. It was an absolutely toxic, passion sucking work environment where employees are put against each other. Sexist remarks are made about future employees being to "Hot" to hire. Other things I don't even feel comfortable talking about because I really just want to let these things be the past...

If you have an innovative Idea forget about it. Your job at makerbot is NOT to think. But to serve the completely clueless and ignorant upper management.

Get a clue. your company is a sinking ship. WHY DO YOU THING EVERY ONE IS QUITTING!

Makerbot Photos